URGENT!!! Vomiting, constant Stomach Spasms, Fatigue - HELP

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I understand; I too have a senior, she is a Great Dane and 13 years old. She was having some digestion problems and besides old age, I wondered if it was the dog food and that is when I researched the home cooked recipes. I have experimented with some things and found as long as I keep both of them away from foods with grains they are the picture of health. I did substantial research on bulldogs prior to getting Amber (had Great Danes for 15+ years and our daughter wanted a bulldog) and found they are highly allergic to grains of almost any type. When I research the dog food there is a limited supply that is grain free and the ones that are grain free are rather pricey. So, by trail and error I found myself making her food and her coat is absolutely beautiful, that is when I put the Dane on homemade food too. I will admit I do travel and my husband stays home with the dogs then so I do back up their homemade food with Blue Buffalo dog food on those occassions. It comes in kibbles and can; Amber doesn't do well on kibbles, she gets sick because she eats too fast so I get her canned but the Dane does well on the kibbles.

Good luck with the little one. Take Care.

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Toby seems to be getting better and is up and around more. He still isn't drinking on his own other than the bottled water I mentioned earlier. I am supposed to receive his Bil-Jac from PetFlow today but upon suggestions from this thread I am not going to give it to him. I called PetFlow and they said just send back the UPC and donate the food and they would replace it with whatever I want, WOW! I will definitely be using them for all my future purchases.

I am considering Fromm dog food for Toby but it seems there is only one for puppies. Should I go with the Fromm Gold Puppy food or does it not matter as much with this quality food? If not what Fromm food would be suggested. If so, when would I switch off of the Fromm Gold Puppy food?

Thanks again, this forum is awesome! I am glad I found this place!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I have never seen Bil-Jac at Walmart but maybe it is there. I get mine from Petsmart and recently ordered from PetFlow.

I will be taking him back to the vet today if he doesn't take to the bland diet and drink some water. I have checked his dehydration by pulling on the back of his neck and it still springs back in to place. If anything it might be a tad slow but I don't know exactly what I am looking for. The vet we take him to my wife has gone to for over 25 years and doesn't gouge you on price, however we are thinking about going elsewhere for this particular issue. My wife is panicky when it comes to animals even if it is a baby squirrel/bird that has come in to our yard.

He is eating the ground sirloin (90/10 drained) with white rice like he is starving. That is a great sign, right? Still waiting on the water, will see after he eats.

How is he now? yes good sign that he is eating but I think I would take him back also if he doens't continue or doesn't drink water.. please keep us posted..

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Toby seems to be getting better and is up and around more. He still isn't drinking on his own other than the bottled water I mentioned earlier. I am supposed to receive his Bil-Jac from PetFlow today but upon suggestions from this thread I am not going to give it to him. I called PetFlow and they said just send back the UPC and donate the food and they would replace it with whatever I want, WOW! I will definitely be using them for all my future purchases.

I am considering Fromm dog food for Toby but it seems there is only one for puppies. Should I go with the Fromm Gold Puppy food or does it not matter as much with this quality food? If not what Fromm food would be suggested. If so, when would I switch off of the Fromm Gold Puppy food?

Thanks again, this forum is awesome! I am glad I found this place!

ooops just asked how he is now and when I got back on you had gave us the update! :heart:

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
He is about 90% back to how he was prior to this episode. That was scary! He is now playing almost like he was the other day but seems to quite after a few chases of the ball so he is almost back. He hasn't vomited all day. My wife brought home some Fromm Surf & Turf she found at Petland. He loved it. I realize I probably should have kept him on the plain diet but figured it was rated so high and didn't have anything in it (other than chicken) that we had been giving him and am pretty confident it is wheat he is allergic to. He started playing after he got the new food and drank lots of water. I want to thank everyone here that helped keep me calm and with all the great advice. I was surprised to see so much activity and quick responses. I will try and visit often to repay the favor to others that may have the same issues I have ran in to.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He is about 90% back to how he was prior to this episode. That was scary! He is now playing almost like he was the other day but seems to quite after a few chases of the ball so he is almost back. He hasn't vomited all day. My wife brought home some Fromm Surf & Turf she found at Petland. He loved it. I realize I probably should have kept him on the plain diet but figured it was rated so high and didn't have anything in it (other than chicken) that we had been giving him and am pretty confident it is wheat he is allergic to. He started playing after he got the new food and drank lots of water. I want to thank everyone here that helped keep me calm and with all the great advice. I was surprised to see so much activity and quick responses. I will try and visit often to repay the favor to others that may have the same issues I have ran in to.

That right there made my day my friend!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

Did you go cold turkey onto the new food? That could cause big :poo: problems. You need to do a slow transition..over about a 10 day period. Start with 3/4 old..1/4 new for three days..then go to 1/2 old and 1/2 new for 3 days..then 3/4 new and 1/4 old for three days..then all new! Always helps to mix in spoonful of pumpkin while switching. 100 % pumpkin..not the pie filling..

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Did you go cold turkey onto the new food? That could cause big :poo: problems. You need to do a slow transition..over about a 10 day period. Start with 3/4 old..1/4 new for three days..then go to 1/2 old and 1/2 new for 3 days..then 3/4 new and 1/4 old for three days..then all new! Always helps to mix in spoonful of pumpkin while switching. 100 % pumpkin..not the pie filling..

Basically. I did since we weren't sure what the allergic reaction was. The Bil-Jac has corn which I assume could be an issue. I gave him beef and rice (homemade) and he scarfed it down when he wasn't eating a thing. I still have some Bil-Jac that I can mix in if needed but didn't want to take a chance of introducing the reaction again although I deduced that it was the treats with a lot of wheat (although just and assumption). Thoughts?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Basically. I did since we weren't sure what the allergic reaction was. The Bil-Jac has corn which I assume could be an issue. I gave him beef and rice (homemade) and he scarfed it down when he wasn't eating a thing. I still have some Bil-Jac that I can mix in if needed but didn't want to take a chance of introducing the reaction again although I deduced that it was the treats with a lot of wheat (although just and assumption). Thoughts?

If I were you..I'd do the slow switch with the beef and rice instead of Bil Jac. That gives his tummy time to rest a bit too. Don't panic if he has the runs because of the new food. But I'd just use the beef and rice ànd slowly add in Fromm. It's a great food!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I agree...I wouldn't go back to the bil-jac at all. Maybe cook for a few more days and mix like 1/2 with the fromm. Fromm is a good food so hopefully you will not have the same issues again. Plus you can switch between the from 4* varieties without a transition period if he gets bored with is food.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
A recall was just released on Bil Jac... Coincidence?????

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
A recall was just released on Bil Jac... Coincidence?????

Luckily this was just the Adult Select formula and not the Puppy Select formula, although that may be next. I did just by a 6 lb Puppy Select bag prior to this.

OP
TobyGiant

TobyGiant

Aug 22, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
If I were you..I'd do the slow switch with the beef and rice instead of Bil Jac. That gives his tummy time to rest a bit too. Don't panic if he has the runs because of the new food. But I'd just use the beef and rice ànd slowly add in Fromm. It's a great food!

So you are saying not use the Bil-Jac at all. Use the Fromm and rice/beef for the slow transition to Fromm? Additionally, I got an email back from Fromm and asked about their food for my puppy and they did suggest the Large Breed Puppy. Do you think it matters if I use the Four Star Surf & Turf instead of the LBP and can I switch between them or is that just the Four Star varieties that can be switched between without a slow transition?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
So you are saying not use the Bil-Jac at all. Use the Fromm and rice/beef for the slow transition to Fromm? Additionally, I got an email back from Fromm and asked about their food for my puppy and they did suggest the Large Breed Puppy. Do you think it matters if I use the Four Star Surf & Turf instead of the LBP and can I switch between them or is that just the Four Star varieties that can be switched between without a slow transition?

Yes..skip Bil-Jac totally. Do bland mixture you are using and do slow transition to Fromm. Just FYI...English Bulldogs aren't considered Large Breed. That's from my vet. Usually Large Breed has higher Protein. If you are going to use a Puppy Food there is plenty of protein in that. Jake went on Fromm all stages at 10 weeks. Surf n turf..did great!you can switch between four star freely!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Late to this, and you got me so worried with your first post! So great to hear that she's finally eating and drinking! You've got great advice from everyone. :yes:

Wondering if he still has phlegm. Did he ever recover fully it?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.