Help Needed! Bocephus' Face is Swollen!!!

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
My english bulldog is 20 months old. He is in great shape except for his left eye. He has an ulcer on his cornea from a scratch. The vet prescribed autogenous serum 3x daily for the eye and put him on an anti-inflammatory med. He started having diarrhea today (2 days into the anti-inflammatory) and vet said to discontinue the med. Today, Bo was alone for about 1.5hrs in the kitchen, when I came home, I found that his face was swollen bilaterally. He isn't having trouble breathing. He was rubbing his face on the floor and pawing at his face, but otherwise acting normal. I put some coband around his arms to keep his dew claws from scratching his eyes (since he already has an ulcer in one). I also gave him Benadryl. Is there anything else I should do? It hurts my heart so much when he isn't doing well. The Benadryl isn't really working yet, but has always worked in the past. How often can I give him benadryl... like another dose tonight? PLEASE HELP!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can give 1mg Benedryl per pound up to 3x a day.

Can you post a picture... I'm thinking if the cornea is scratch and he has been rubbing it - you may need to use cool compress to lessen the swelling

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
photo.jpgphoto(3).jpg
The first one is him normally, the second is him tonight immediately after the Benadryl. I do not suspect it is the medicine since he hasn't had it for 24 hours, but it could definitely be a bite. His face has never swelled before with the eye scratch. He was playing outside today and was fine when I put him the kitchen... but when I came home, this is what I have found. Can I have his dew claws removed? I read that they can 1-2mg per pound, he weighs 50#. I gave him 75mg tonight thinking the extra might help, but I normally only give him 50mg. He is still breathing fine and playing even though I am trying to get him to rest. This is killing me:(

Sargesmom

Mar 7, 2012
Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Boy, Sarge and Splat (Lou Lou)
I hope he gets better soon....it is hard to see your babies like this...GET BETTER Bocephus xoxoxoxox

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 26144View attachment 26145
The first one is him normally, the second is him tonight immediately after the Benadryl. I do not suspect it is the medicine since he hasn't had it for 24 hours, but it could definitely be a bite. His face has never swelled before with the eye scratch. He was playing outside today and was fine when I put him the kitchen... but when I came home, this is what I have found. Can I have his dew claws removed? I read that they can 1-2mg per pound, he weighs 50#. I gave him 75mg tonight thinking the extra might help, but I normally only give him 50mg. He is still breathing fine and playing even though I am trying to get him to rest. This is killing me:(

yeah -- he was bit by something. banks had this happen a few times, keep on the benedryl, if no change by morning go to the vet for a shot to bring it down. If breathing changes at all.. get to the ER with him.

Yes, dew claws can be removed... it is actually very common in some breeds.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
try a bag of frozen peas or ice. that'll take the sting out of the itch and bring the swelling down some.

Bar4502

Aug 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley, Nova, Darla, & Spanky
I'm a firm believer in children's Benadryl.. Had a pug that got bit by a rattlesnake and gave it to her and the swelling was gone overnight. My oldest bulldog got stung by a red wasp and it worked for her just. as well for her.. I keep three bottles in my cabinet..

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
That happened to Gator twice. It was chicken in our case but that is surely an allergic reaction to something. I would stop ALL meds except for the benedryl and then get him to the vet. Since it is late, do you think you can monitor him through the night to make sure his breathing stays normal? It could even be something in his eye meds that is causing it, especially since it is his face.

Please keep us posted, that looks pretty bad.

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Here is a pic I just took. The swelling has gone down some on his left side (the same side as the eye with the scratch). His right side is still pretty swollen. I plan on staying up with him to make sure everything is ok. He sleeps in our bed so he will be close at all times. I am going to give him another dose of benadryl in 1 hour. I wonder what the heck bit him.... I feel like I can't ever take my eyes off him. I love him so much and hope this all goes away. He hasn't had anything but benadryl for the last 24 hours. The eye regimen he is on is only autologous serum, which is from his own blood that they draw at the vet and spin to separate the blood cells from the serum, so I am kinda thinking its not the eye drops, but I still haven't given him any just in case. I truly appreciate everyone's input. It definitely made me feel like I wasn't alone tonight since Brad was at work :) Yet another show of why bulldog lovers are the best people in the whole wide world!! THANK YOU!!
photo(4).jpg

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It's good that it's going down. My Usko had this same raction early this summer and also BIG lumps all over his body. We gave him a medicine that is used for snake bites and later something like Benadryl. It took two about two days to go 100% away, but it was scary. I called the vet and she said to waite and come in if his breathing is compromised. We never found out what caused it, but I sure hope it doesn't happen again. Good looking guy you have there btw, swollen or not:luv:

Last edited:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=5774]edainrose[/MENTION] how is the boy this morning? everything OK last night?

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
His breathing was fine all night long and he is very playful this am. He got a very good nights sleep. Here is a pic of him this am where the swelling on the right side is still there somewhat, but the swelling on the left is pretty much gone. We are going to the vet in a bit. I will make another post when we get home. Thanks guys!!
photo(6).jpg

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
UPDATE!! We just got home from the vet. She said it was indeed a bite of some sort... His swelling is almost down completely. Still a little left on the right side. Said his eye ulcer is looking good. Instructions are to resume the serum drops, 50mg Benadryl every 12 hrs and lots of love. They also said we need to have the entropion surgery and that would solve our eye problem, so they referred us to a dog eye doctor... Anyone out there know if this surgery really is a cure all?? Insight very welcome!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
UPDATE!! We just got home from the vet. She said it was indeed a bite of some sort... His swelling is almost down completely. Still a little left on the right side. Said his eye ulcer is looking good. Instructions are to resume the serum drops, 50mg Benadryl every 12 hrs and lots of love. They also said we need to have the entropion surgery and that would solve our eye problem, so they referred us to a dog eye doctor... Anyone out there know if this surgery really is a cure all?? Insight very welcome!

:jumping: YEAH!!! So happy he is doing better! There are a few members that have experiences with the entropion [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] is one that comes to mind

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.