Help Needed! Medical Advice / Emotional Support

Bolton89

Aug 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey
So, this is my last resort. I'm not sure what to do.

I adopted Petey, my victorian just over 2 years ago. Him being one at the time he didn't show any of his present health problems then, that he has know. Needless to say, I'm 23 years old, $20,000 in debt from school, and seem to be using a large chunk of my money to make sure Petey has a healthy life.

When I adopted him his only known medical condition was Cherry eye; which I dealt with immediately upon getting him. I then realized he had a severe inverted tail and Trichiasis after a couple weeks.
After a couple more months he started having grand mal cluster seizures and was diagnosed with epilepsy, and within the same year was diagnosed with having a luxated petella. I then cntacted the previous owner (who was actually a police officer) and found out he was bought from a backyard breeder.

Im now at a point where petey needs surgury on his knee and I have no money to do it. I cant find a toronto vet that offers payment plans and even then no one cheaper then $4000. Im willing to spend the money but I want to find smething cheaper.

Does anyone know any charities of foundations that might be able to help me. Or a vet that will do payment plans to someone with bad credit? I'm stuck.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I feel your struggles. Hopefully someone will come around and guide you in the right direction..
Earlier this year I was faced with a big unexpected surgery expense with my Jack..
I applied for CARE CREDIT which gave me 6 months to pay it off interest free.
I believe it was 6 months, may have been 8 .. Anyways, we cant post links here but just do a google search for Care Credit.... Good luck...

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
geez im no help with this but ill tag some who maybe able to help you. ill be praying for something to come up

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm wondering if there is a Bully Rescue near you..I'm going to tag [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]..she's in Toronto I believe..and may have some thoughts. I can feel the discouragement in your voice. No matter what is in front of you, its obvious you've done the very best you can and loved Petey to the max. That is a true sign of your character..NOT how much money you have or dont have. I hope we can find you some options.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh boy I wish I had millions for people like you. I have no help to give but maybe somebody will have some ideas for you. We would love some pics too in the meantime. ;)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thank you for taking such good care of Petey. I live in the GTA and will ask around if anyone knows of a vet that will help you through this.

My boy has a Grade 2 luxating patellas on both knees, and we've chosen a different kind of therapy for him. What grade did the vet give your Petey's? Punkin's doing so much better and has been such a trouble maker since doing the low laser therapy for the arthritis on his knees.

Daizy and Dukes mom

Nov 28, 2011
Mansfield, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Daizy & Duke
You could always try Homeward Bound Rescue, they are a bully rescue. Amazing group of people. They are located in Clarington, ON. They have a facebook page as well. They might be able to help you. I was trying to get my nephew to adopt one as he is looking for a bully. I apologize to admin if I am not allowed to post the name (not sure). Try them, they might be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck with your baby :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
If Petey is in stage 3 I'm not sure that a good dose of Glucosamine and Chondrotin will help, It takes several weeks to a month to take affect, but it wouldn't hurt either. It will lubricate the joints.
As common as this surgery is usually recommended. I had done some research a while back where some small company's will make a knee brace that is fitted for the individual dog. This costs a few hundred dollars to a thousand. They have a strap that goes across the back and supported by the good leg, where the bad knee fits into the sling. Do a Google search on Knee brace for dogs. Several will come up. I wish I could help more, as for support and comfort we're family here and will give comfort, shoulders, hugs and plenty of advise. 24/7
I'd love to see a picture of your Petey.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
@Bolton89, here's what one of my friends told me:

I think most vets will do that if asked. Have him call around. Explain that he is a student on a limited budget.

Yes, if the vet writes a script for a human med that he doesn't have within his clinic, then it can be filled at a human pharmacy. However, most animal meds are animal specific, so the vets have those meds at their clinics and fill their own presciptions. They will only write a human pharmacy script IF it is a human pharmaceutical that they don't have in their own clinic.

Seeing that our vets can write a script I'd ask around and see if they will, even if you know they have the supplies in their clinic. There's absolutely no harm in trying, even if chances are small. Don't forget to explain your situation. @Libra926's Vegas also has epilepsy, and she gets a lot of Rxs filled at her Costco. But she's in Seattle and pharms in the U.S. are more open to filling them, unlike here.

I also remember a while back that Cavan Hills vet clinic is very reasonably priced. There was a time when they offered a set annual fee, and you can take your pet to as many appts as necessary. Not sure if they still provide that option though. The Homeward Bound rescue goes to them. They're in Peterborough, but the trip may be worthwhile if they give you the right options.

Still very interested in the condition of his luxating patellas. If you can provide more info, we'd love to give you some input. :hug:

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I do hope you find the help you need ..... our foster bully - Bella - has luxating patellas too and should we decide to adopt her then we will be looking at other avenues before we reach the point of surgery.

I do agree with what [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] said about the glucosamine tabls .. make sure they have chondroitin and MSM in them too. We got some from Bella ... this will be Week 4 ... and we noticed a difference in a week in the way she walked.

OP
B

Bolton89

Aug 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey
Hey everyone, thank you for all the support. Petey has a grade 3 in his hind left and luckily his right is fine. The only thing is; he is a very excitable dog so I see him hurting himself quite a bit. It's been about 3 weeks since I started regular doses of the Gluco now and he is showing a bit of an improvement thankfully. When I messaged you last I thought his condition had worsened to a grade 4 but he is showing quite a bit more strength over the last week.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I have bad credit. It just makes this situation much worse as I really doubt I can get the CARE CREDIT that was mentioned. I'm working a lot lately so I am hoping to save a bunch of money. If everyone could just ask around and see If I can find a lower price then $4000 somewhere within an hour of the GTA it would be greatly appreciated. Although I am working a lot, I still need to pay $1000 for my last semester of college before the end of november.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
I know nothing about Luxating Patella, but just a word to the wise; Research the suggested surgery and ALL non-surgery options. Vets profit on surgeries therefore there is a vested interest for them in recomending them. It was recomended for my bulldog to have the TPLO surgery ($3500), I didn't and in a couple of weeks she was fine. Again, the Cherry Eye surgery was recommended and well as the entropian (another $3000), I did not do either of those, changed vets to an "integrative/natural vet" and we have fixed both those issue without surgery. I am not sayting that these surgeries are not required, but in my dogs case we were able to manage with non-surgerical options. Do your research !! (yea I am a cynic :) ) Also; don't know alot about it, but in canada The Farley Foundation may be an option for you (help with vet bills for people who can't afford them); my brother used them.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online