Help Needed! Sarcoptic Mange

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Athens, West Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
After weeks of trying to find out what was wrong with Atticus we finally have an answer. Poor Baby has sarcoptic mange...he has his first dose of ivermicin and we're to continue with the benadryl three times a day...does anybody have any advice about things we can do to help or just your experience

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I think if you type in the search section on here, lots of things will come up. I remember others had some experience with it. Have you Googled it yet? Sorry I'm of no help, just want to get this post bumped up for you too

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Ok, there is a difference between demodex mange and sarcroptic mange. Isn't sarcroptic actually CONTAGIOUS? You may want to do a google search to be sure but I think it is scabies. You better double check because you might need to call your doctor if this is the case.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok, I did some digging and sarcroptic mange is supposedly easier to cure (YAY!). Both are apt to happen with dogs with compromised immune systems. Also Sarcroptic is highly contagious and can be spread to humans (scabies) so you may want to keep an eye on any other pets (including cats) and humans and make sure they don't get it.

It is good that they are easier to cure! Along with your vet's perscription and course of treatment, you can help by boosting your dog's immune system. Do a quick site search on demodex or mange and you will find lots of suggestions on how to do that. Things like adding a salmon oil supplement and/or probiotic will help.

Take care and let us know how he is doing.

OP
KelseyandAtticus

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
He takes a probiotic regularly sowe're getting that immune system pumped up. Yes, sarcastic mange or scabies is very contagious and can be passed to humans. It isn't the same form of scabies that's passed from human to human. Sa

OP
KelseyandAtticus

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
Sarcoptic mange can't live in humans for a long time... From what I've read it can be anywhere from two days to three weeks depending on the life cycle. Humans can be treated with benadryl and hydrocortisone...nit much fun in our house right now between my fiancé and I constantly checking each other for places lol it's all in our heads. The vet thinks that Atticus has probably had it since we picked up and says that if we haven't got it by now we probably won't....thankfully sarcoptic mange isn't reoccurring like demodex and since mites don't live long outside of the dog it's easy to treat and clean up....while this isn't the diagnosis we were hoping for we're relieved that we now what's wrong with Atty and we're on the right path finally.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=5667]KelseyandAtticus[/MENTION], sounds like you have done your research and know what is up :). You are a great momma!!

I don't think there is anything that is specific to bullies to do with this. You would treat it the same as any other dog. I used neem oil on Gypsy's mange (demodex). It is good for all sorts of insects, mites, even ear mites and mosquitoes. My friend who works in the supplements at whole foods actually said it even works on athlete's foot which is a fungal issue! I picked it up at Whole foods and mixed it 50/50 with lavender oil and rubbed it on her bald spots. I actually switched her completely to a RAW diet to help her but you can just add a raw egg a few days a week.

Good luck and let us know how he is doing!!! He is just a doll :)

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Does the neem oil soothe the irritated places, bc I would do anything to give him some comfort besides the benadryl

It kills any mites that it comes in contact with and the lavender oil is very soothing and MAY help with the itching a bit. Gypsy only had a few small places and I would use the time rubbing the oil on for relaxation time which also helped because the more stress they have, the more it affects their immune system. It does smell kind of icky but the lavender also helped with that. My mom's bully had it more widespread and he loved getting it rubbed on him.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
What a bummer, but now you know whats wrong and then you're already well on your way to getting better!

OP
KelseyandAtticus

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
Just a little update on Atty....he is doing so much better! He has another dose of ivermectin Tuesday and he's still on the antibiotics. We're down to one dose of benadryl at night and the shirt so he doesn't scratch his scabs off...the hardest part for him is not being around people :0(. He's used to our neighbors loving all over him when we go out to potty and he really pouts....the vet said that we should limit our contact as well bc it is contagious to humans BUT I didn't have the heart o not cuddle and love on him esp when he doesn't feel well...plus we have been living with it for over three weeks and I haven't caught it yet....knock on wood...we vacuum daily and wash his bedding And shirts in hot water everyday to make sure there are no mites. Right now I've steamed once even though the vet said just vacuuming was fine. And his hair has already started to grow back! I'm so thankful!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I missed this original topic but glad everything is getting better!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh im late to this but im so glad he is getting better. it seems you have done your homework on this. keep us updated.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I am so so glad that he is doing better!!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online