Help Needed! watery poop :l

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
my 9 week old bully has been having diarrhea for about 2 days now.. I feed him Avoderm and he loves it! His coat looks really shiny but I don't know if its the best food out there.. he's had diarrhea before when we first got him of which the vet gave him an antibotic.. we didn't use the antibotic because the diarrhea had passed after.. this time around we used the antibotics on him so hopefully that helps.. my question is if the diarrhea is a result from the Avoderm I'm feeding him or some other factor? Is it normal in bully pups? He is still very active plays, barks, eats everything! Its just his watery poop has me worried :l

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ok..was he tested for parasites from your vet? Did you change his food to Avoderm or did he come to you on the same food? If you changed the food..did you do a slow transition? You can give him a teaspoonful of canned pumpkin in his kibble at every feeding. Make sure it's the 100% pumpkin..NOT pumpkin pie filling.

OP
L

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
We took a stool sample and he was cleared for any parasites.. vet said the diarrhea was probably stress brought on by a new environment.. and the Avoderm he's always ate since he was with the breeder and I felt no need to change it up until now.. I've heard about the pumpkin and I'll give that a try tomorrow morning :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well that's all good news..he could definitely just be stressed. Avoderm int a bad food..kind of middle of the road. I would try the pumpkin and see if that helps. Keep n mind antibiotics themselves can cause tummy ànd :poo: issues. If pumpkin doesnt help...let us know. Is he getting any treats?

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Too much food can also cause runny poo in young pups, try cutting back a bit and see if that helps. Also no treats until you get it sorted if you are giving any.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
L

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
I've given him salmon treats for his training and the occasional greeny for his doggy breath.. when he's outside in the yard he likes chewing/eating leafs and dirt :l I'll be sure to just feed only with no treats untill his poop becomes more solid.. I know Avoderm is not the best food and I'm still new at this and with all the diffrent foods in the market it becomes overwhelming trying to find the best for your bully :l

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=5696]Louie89[/MENTION] - Avoderm is a good food. I tried the beef one on my pups but it didn't work out for them. There are endless discussions on here about dog food. You could read for a decade and still be confused about what to try.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

So many things can cause diarrhea....it is a thread by itself. It is very important to get it in check. Loss of hydration and electrolytes is the main concern.

Since you did not switch food, that can be ruled out. I agree no treats of any kind for now.
Stool sample ruled out those problems.

But eating junk out of the yard can most certainly be a cause. The hidden cat "tootsie roll", bird poop, or just plain grass and dirt can all lead to problems.
Limited time outside and stay outside to "watch" and curtail the grazing.

Plenty of water, pumpkin works great. Once the diarrhea is slowing down, Greek yogurt or Cottage chesse helps to calm down and get good bacteria back in the system.

Don't stress, be attentive, keep posting.

G'Day~

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
When Bacon was a pup and went through bad diarrhea boughts we would switch him over to chicken and rice for a few days until he was solid again then transition him back. Just our experience though, I would stick with the pumpkin and limited grazing to see if that helps first.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
When Bacon was a pup and went through bad diarrhea boughts we would switch him over to chicken and rice for a few days until he was solid again then transition him back. Just our experience though, I would stick with the pumpkin and limited grazing to see if that helps first.

Hello,

Since many if not even most Bullies are allergic to chicken, use ground turkey or ground beef instead of chicken. Whole grain, brown rice as opposed to white rice is even better.

G'Day~

OP
L

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Louie's poop seems to have gotten a little bit better than how it was a couple of days ago.. I try to keep him hydrated as much as possible! He dosent seem to be in any pain or anything like that which leads me to believe that it will pass.. and the Avoderm that I feed louie is chicken and brown rice for puppies.. I also was not aware that chicken was not good for bulldogs.. I was wondering if this was based on experience or overall knowledge of bulldogs being allergic to chicken? Because if that really is it then its the chicken giving him diarrhea.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Louie's poop seems to have gotten a little bit better than how it was a couple of days ago.. I try to keep him hydrated as much as possible! He dosent seem to be in any pain or anything like that which leads me to believe that it will pass.. and the Avoderm that I feed louie is chicken and brown rice for puppies.. I also was not aware that chicken was not good for bulldogs.. I was wondering if this was based on experience or overall knowledge of bulldogs being allergic to chicken? Because if that really is it then its the chicken giving him diarrhea.

SOME bullies are allergic to chicken. Your Louie may or may not be. Mine got hotspots and yeast from chicken but that isn't necessarily what is going on with Louie. My first question if he is still energetic, is how much are you feeding him per day? As stated above, overfeeding can cause diarrhea. Have you tried the pumpkin? I would try that for a day or two and if it doesn't work, then maybe go to a bland diet? Beef is better than chicken. You can just boil some ground beef then strain it. How old is Louie?

OP
L

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
The breeder was feeding louie twice a day and at first I did too but since he was smaller than the rest of the pups in the litter I decided to feed him 3 times a day 5hrs apart. I started with the pumpkin today so hopefully in a few days he'll be better..I honestly think its the food.. just with my experience with him I can pretty much rule out everything else but the food.. also he's 10 weeks old :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Three times a day is GREAT. I did that until they were about 6 months old or so and then went to 2 times a day. How much of the food are you giving him at each feeding? 1/2 cup, 3/4 cup? I hope the pumpkin works!

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Greenies are known to cause diarrhea! I would not give him those.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.