Help Needed! Jowl Absess

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
So I came home from work today to find that Tank has what appears to be a big absess on his jowl (definitly not there yesterday). It is big enough to be noticeable. He doesn't seem to be in pain but doesn't want me messing with the area either.

So...for those of you who have dealt with an absess before...do you wait a day to see if it starts to go down or haul it in to the vet to be drained right away?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
holy crap.... pics?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'd take him in to be checked just to be on the safe side.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
When stig had an abscess that seemed to have grown overnight, we went to the emergency vet who took his vitals and gave us some wide-range antibiotics. she determined that it wasn't too concerning and that we could wait for 3 to 4 days for a follow up with a regular vet. She didn't find a need to drain it, but stig wasn't in pain as well. She did say to go to vet right sooner if it grew larger or if he starts acting like he was uncomfortable. Unsure if it was the antibiotics or if his body naturally absorbed the puss, but the swelling and abscess got smaller bad went back to almost normal when he had the follow-up visit.

If tank looks like he's in pain, I'd go to the vet, at least by tomorrow. :)

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
The pics make it look even worse! It looks way more red and angry in the pics than it actually is.

001-4.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The pics make it look even worse! It looks way more red and angry in the pics than it actually is.

001-4.jpg

OUCH.... poor baby! I'd get into the vet to at least get it drained

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I'm almost wondering if he got into a tangle with a wasp. We have been trying to get rid of those stinkin' things but the mud wasps are constantly flying into our backyard.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
might want to give a good dose of Benadryl and see it helps til morning, if no change I'd call the vet then.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
might want to give a good dose of Benadryl and see it helps til morning, if no change I'd call the vet then.

Ouch! Baby Marlow had an abcess and it kept getting bigger over 2 days-ish so obviously if the swelling does not go down soon you may want to go to the vet. I am worried about his inside of his mouth... Any signs of tongue swelling, purple tongue or purple gums get to the vet asap. Gums and tongue should be nice and pink. Not pale or purple.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh I should add to take temperature!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm almost wondering if he got into a tangle with a wasp. We have been trying to get rid of those stinkin' things but the mud wasps are constantly flying into our backyard.

Ya know, I almost asked if he could gotten stung by a bee.... do like Sherry and Lisa said ... temp and benedryl

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Poor baby, nothing to add, but hope it's nothing. Maybe if it's a bee sting you can find a bite mark???

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
you have gotten good advice was just checking in see how things are now?

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
He isn't as puffy this morning. He did however, sleep with that side of his face smushed on the floor! We will check in with the vet this afternoon just in case he wants to see Mr. Tank.

Thanks for the advice everybody! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.