Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Itchy butt = Worms?

Real Name
    Katie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mildred (Millie, mildew, mil- a- stroni)

Default Itchy butt = Worms?

My 1.5 year old EB Millie won't stop rubbing her butt in circles. At first I thought she was just looking for her regular butt scratch but now I can tell she is really uncomfortable. She just spins around and around on her butt. I check for fleas with a comb and didn't find anything. She also just woke up mid nap and vomited a brownish clear liquid.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? She has been eating her regular food. Everyone who sees her spinning says she might have worms.

thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quit lugging those big bags of dog food and running that extra errand,
    and get it delivered right to your door- shipped for FREE from Petflow!
    (Please use our link so EBN gets sponsor credit.)
    Ready to try Petflow? Click Here!
    Click here to read testimonials from members who already order from Petflow!

Support Our Community! Become a 4 Paw Member and you will no longer view these ads or this post.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

Default Re: Itchy butt = Worms?

This usually is a sign that the anal glands need to be expressed. The vet usually does this, but some of us are crazy enough to do this. The glands are at 5 and 7 o-clock . they need a squeeze and a paper towel. If they are really swollen, you need to see your vet, as for the brownish vomit. ????? I don't know.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Blog Entries

Sounds to me like her anal glands need to be expressed. That or her tail pocket is bothering her. I would take her to the vet because they can check both. Anal gland expression is usually fairly inexpensive. I pay $15.

Real Name
    Katie
    Bulldog(s) Names

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    This usually is a sign that the anal glands need to be expressed. The vet usually does this, but some of us are crazy enough to do this. The glands are at 5 and 7 o-clock . they need a squeeze and a paper towel. If they are really swollen, you need to see your vet, as for the brownish vomit. ????? I don't know.
    I actually use to be a dog groomer so I did check this- she has a tail that completely hides them but I did check and they were not swollen. And there was nothing to express.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Vermont Millie View Post
    I actually use to be a dog groomer so I did check this- she has a tail that completely hides them but I did check and they were not swollen. And there was nothing to express.

I would take her to the vet..if its not the anal glands..it's best the vet figures it out!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    I would take her to the vet..if its not the anal glands..it's best the vet figures it out!
    Agreed. If you can do the anal glands, then I would be concerned about the tail pocket. I guess it could be worms. A lot of flea/heartworm meds also kill worms. Check the one you use and see if it does. Have you reached up under her tail at the base and checked if she has a pocket?

Real Name
    Katie
    Bulldog(s) Names

I just checked and to be honest I'm not sure what I'm looking for? She has a straight tail thats about 2 inches long. I put a paper towel under and rubbed at the base.... nothing alarming on the paper towel but I can't see anything because her tail doesn't lift.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vermont Millie View Post
    I just checked and to be honest I'm not sure what I'm looking for? She has a straight tail thats about 2 inches long. I put a paper towel under and rubbed at the base.... nothing alarming on the paper towel but I can't see anything because her tail doesn't lift.
    Can you get your finger under there? Right under their tails, is a pocket that you can push your finger into. It might not feel like like unless you can feel it with your finger. Right above the anus and under the tail. Usually right where the bottom of the tail meets the booty. lol

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?

Hello and Welcome.

Certainly plenty of good advice here already.

Bullies DO like to scrub, rub, scootch, drag and just generally like to rub the booty. Anal glands are a possibility as is tail pocket irritation.
    Be certain to look at the condition of the poo on a ongoing basis. Any change in how it looks would be reason for concern.

A stool sample is the best way to rule out worm, parasites or any other poo-poo problems.

G'day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Potty Trainer Daizy and Dukes mom's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daizy & Duke

I know for Daizy, when she's doing that, her lady parts are itchy and she needs a scratch (the things we do for our bullies...lol). Or she might need a wipe down there. Just a thought.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola

we thought lola needed her glands expressed too when she had an itchy bum, but it also kind of stunk like sweat. it was her tail pocket getting sweaty. especially after walks, we have to get up in there with wipes, then a tissue with witch hazel, a dry tissue then a smidge of vitE lotion (we use tattoo goo). clean and lubricate, now we only have to do it every two weeks (the full shabang) she gets a deep cleaning twice daily after poos. and whenever else i feel like it GET UP IN THERE and see whats going on

aka "desertskybulldogs" Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daizy and Dukes mom View Post
    I know for Daizy, when she's doing that, her lady parts are itchy and she needs a scratch (the things we do for our bullies...lol). Or she might need a wipe down there. Just a thought.
    Yes don't rule out the folds of the vulva! They can get itchy and yeasty too!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

RIP Banks

"My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am."
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast