Help Needed! Itchy butt = Worms?

Vermont Millie

May 19, 2011
Southern, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mildred (Millie, mildew, mil- a- stroni)
My 1.5 year old EB Millie won't stop rubbing her butt in circles. At first I thought she was just looking for her regular butt scratch but now I can tell she is really uncomfortable. She just spins around and around on her butt. I check for fleas with a comb and didn't find anything. She also just woke up mid nap and vomited a brownish clear liquid.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? She has been eating her regular food. Everyone who sees her spinning says she might have worms.

thanks

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
This usually is a sign that the anal glands need to be expressed. The vet usually does this, but some of us are crazy enough to do this. The glands are at 5 and 7 o-clock . they need a squeeze and a paper towel. If they are really swollen, you need to see your vet, as for the brownish vomit. ????? I don't know.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Sounds to me like her anal glands need to be expressed. That or her tail pocket is bothering her. I would take her to the vet because they can check both. Anal gland expression is usually fairly inexpensive. I pay $15.

OP
Vermont Millie

Vermont Millie

May 19, 2011
Southern, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
This usually is a sign that the anal glands need to be expressed. The vet usually does this, but some of us are crazy enough to do this. The glands are at 5 and 7 o-clock . they need a squeeze and a paper towel. If they are really swollen, you need to see your vet, as for the brownish vomit. ????? I don't know.

I actually use to be a dog groomer so I did check this- she has a tail that completely hides them but I did check and they were not swollen. And there was nothing to express.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I would take her to the vet..if its not the anal glands..it's best the vet figures it out!

Agreed. If you can do the anal glands, then I would be concerned about the tail pocket. I guess it could be worms. A lot of flea/heartworm meds also kill worms. Check the one you use and see if it does. Have you reached up under her tail at the base and checked if she has a pocket?

OP
Vermont Millie

Vermont Millie

May 19, 2011
Southern, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
I just checked and to be honest I'm not sure what I'm looking for? She has a straight tail thats about 2 inches long. I put a paper towel under and rubbed at the base.... nothing alarming on the paper towel but I can't see anything because her tail doesn't lift.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I just checked and to be honest I'm not sure what I'm looking for? She has a straight tail thats about 2 inches long. I put a paper towel under and rubbed at the base.... nothing alarming on the paper towel but I can't see anything because her tail doesn't lift.

Can you get your finger under there? Right under their tails, is a pocket that you can push your finger into. It might not feel like like unless you can feel it with your finger. Right above the anus and under the tail. Usually right where the bottom of the tail meets the booty. lol

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello and Welcome.

Certainly plenty of good advice here already.

Bullies DO like to scrub, rub, scootch, drag and just generally like to rub the booty. Anal glands are a possibility as is tail pocket irritation.
Be certain to look at the condition of the poo on a ongoing basis. Any change in how it looks would be reason for concern.

A stool sample is the best way to rule out worm, parasites or any other poo-poo problems.

G'day~

Daizy and Dukes mom

Nov 28, 2011
Mansfield, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Daizy & Duke
I know for Daizy, when she's doing that, her lady parts are itchy and she needs a scratch (the things we do for our bullies...lol). Or she might need a wipe down there. Just a thought.:)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we thought lola needed her glands expressed too when she had an itchy bum, but it also kind of stunk like sweat. it was her tail pocket getting sweaty. especially after walks, we have to get up in there with wipes, then a tissue with witch hazel, a dry tissue then a smidge of vitE lotion (we use tattoo goo). clean and lubricate, now we only have to do it every two weeks (the full shabang) she gets a deep cleaning twice daily after poos. and whenever else i feel like it :) GET UP IN THERE and see whats going on :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I know for Daizy, when she's doing that, her lady parts are itchy and she needs a scratch (the things we do for our bullies...lol). Or she might need a wipe down there. Just a thought.:)

Yes don't rule out the folds of the vulva! They can get itchy and yeasty too!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
Jameson does the same thing it is from his tail. I call it the sit and spin. I take a baby wipe and dig under his tail pocket. He loves it.

OP
Vermont Millie

Vermont Millie

May 19, 2011
Southern, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm starting to think this is is just a hot spot issue under her tail. The skin looks red and irritated like the hot spot she had under her chin earlier this summer. I've been spraying it with Genesis spray that the vet gave us http://www.medi-vet.com/GenesisSpray.aspx. It seems to take the itch away and its less red. If the problem persists past tomorrow I will take her to the vet.

No changes in poops and I have cleaned the area with a mild soap. Also I don't think she has a pocket under her tail because its also clean as a whistle :2thumbs:.
thanks for the input everyone

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online