URGENT!!! Sancho broke his tooth!

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
Hello all,
Sancho was playing outside in the backyard.... I was out there, reading the Kindle and watching him. He was putting around in the grass and shrubs as usual. No yelping or anything weird. Then he came over to me kind of hyper and wanting to play. He put his head on my knee and I saw blood all over the side of his mouth and my pants!

I immediately saw that the left long tooth on his bottom jaw was broken and barely hanging on in the gum :*( My poor baby... I feel so awful. I was there, watching and didn't see that he had somehow found a bungee cord with plastic hooks in the mud and must have tried to pull it and broke his tooth.

I'm so worried. Can/will it get infected? What should we feed him? Should we give him some baby Tylenol?? Will he be okay? Is there a chance it was a baby tooth and will come back and I'm just being an overly panicky first-time dog mom? :pray::pray::pray::pray:

I'm literally crying over here... I feel so awful that I missed that and now he has to not have his tooth :( :( :(

Attachments

• IMAG0757.jpg
    IMAG0757.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OUCH...,how old is he? That looks like a baby tooth

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
NO matter how much we watch them things like this can happen. Is there a 24 hour emergency vet in your area. call them and at least they will tell you what you can and cant' do. Good luck

OP
redhed

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
Ok, well after researching this (maybe I should have done that first, but I was seriously panicking and hating myself), it looks like it was a canine baby tooth. I sure hope so! Poor guy.

OP
redhed

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
He is 4.5 months old. His other front teeth are coming in right now, so there's a good chance it was a baby tooth. Or, that's what I'm hoping. :pray:

My hubby is at a vet's conference right now, so he said he will ask around there, since our vet will charge us $100 just for a phone call on a Sunday :-/

OP
redhed

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
And THANK YOU for responding so quickly. I really, really appreciate it.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Aubie is the same age and she's been losing some baby teeth. I think it's just a baby tooth; she hasn't even lost her bottom teeth yet, just her top. The next teeth grow in really fast. The next day we already saw the next tooth coming in and it wasn't there the day before. He should have another tooth popping up in its spot in a day or so.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm pretty confident that it's just a baby tooth that came out, he at that age. Usually you don't even notice them change bc they swallow them. There's the root as well so it's not really broken.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is 4.5 months old. His other front teeth are coming in right now, so there's a good chance it was a baby tooth. Or, that's what I'm hoping. :pray:

My hubby is at a vet's conference right now, so he said he will ask around there, since our vet will charge us $100 just for a phone call on a Sunday :-/

@4.5 months....baby tooth.should be fine

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
No need to see a vet, this is normal. just like a child the baby teeth come out and some blood may be involved. Don't panic. The adult tooth will push out the rest of it when it comes through. Never ever give a dog Tylenol. 81 mg. of aspirin is ok. but I don't think you even need that in this instance.

OP
redhed

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
Whew! Thank you guys so much.

I will stick with normal teething toys. Thanks so much for the heads up on Tylenol. I was wondering about that, too, since I've never actually given any pain medication to a pet.

You guys rock... thanks for saving the day (for me and for Sancho, who is passed out in his bed while I'm here worrying away!)

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
ice is good , he'll be fine, I'm more worried about you :loco2:

OP
redhed

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
Me too. I think I'll have a head of white hair by the time he's a year old! LOL

PS- Also, I just love the picture in your signature. Every time I see it, it makes me smile. What a gorgeous bully!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Me too. I think I'll have a head of white hair by the time he's a year old! LOL

PS- Also, I just love the picture in your signature. Every time I see it, it makes me smile. What a gorgeous bully!

I love it too. It's an original painting by Steve Sulivan. 20 x 20 oil, during a auction for rescues, I bid on it here a year ago and won it. That's Griz, he's a mama boy :D

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
He's fine like the others have said :) Bob broke a baby tooth a few months ago and it was just a stub. It never got infected, but many times before his big boy teeth came in I would see blood on his mouth or on his toys. He's 6 months old now and has his big boy teeth. Baby teeth look like (and feel like ) little shark teeth and adult teeth are more conical .

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.