General Question Is entropion obvious?

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi all,
Just a quick question - since we all know bullies tend to tear a lot, and have eye boogers in general, how does one tell if the dog has entropion? Would it be obvious? Would a vet see it right away?
I just read up a little on this condition (and I see on lots of rescue sites the bulldogs need entropion surgery), and I wonder if I would be able to tell? My female in particular has very tearful eyes, and her lashes are always wet, etc.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated! :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Usually vet can see if the lashes are growing in...I would say a bullie vet could tell not normal vets as they usually dont know what to look for! Brutus used to have very goopy wet bugers until we switched his food to better food...

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Entropion is a common problem, but not common enough for some vets. There are other breds of dogs that also get this problem, but Bullies are high on the list. I think a good bullie vet or any vet that knows good dog anatomy would be able to tell.

Of course if you were to post several pics for us to look at...collectively the arm chair vets/techs that we have here would also give an opinion.

While it seems like a simple problem, it is a problem that sooner or later will have to be dealt with.

G'Day~

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I've not experienced this myself but a good vet should be able to tell if the eye lashes are scratching the eye. I've heard that switching and finding the right food for your bully can often reduce the puffiness around the eye, and so stop the entropian.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi all,
Just a quick question - since we all know bullies tend to tear a lot, and have eye boogers in general, how does one tell if the dog has entropion? Would it be obvious? Would a vet see it right away?
I just read up a little on this condition (and I see on lots of rescue sites the bulldogs need entropion surgery), and I wonder if I would be able to tell? My female in particular has very tearful eyes, and her lashes are always wet, etc.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated! :)

It can be obvious but it can also be misdiagnosed. If your bulldogs eyes are swollen from rubbing or allergies the lower lids will turn in causing the condition. So sometimes, it is secondary to another problem, best to treat the root of the problem if this is the case.

A prime example was my girl Jesse as a pup. She had a lot of tear staining and watery eye on one side. Fully aware of what entropion was, each time she went to the vet during her puppy months I would ask them to look at the eye. Answers were yes, no, a little, ect. It really depended on how swollen her lower lid was. Eventually after the right diet and her growth of her head it completely went away. So glad I never opted for unnecessary surgery for her, because her eyes are perfect.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus just had Entropion surgery on his (L) eye. The (R) eye will be watched closely by the Opthamologist. But it all started with Maximus rubbing his eye, which caused a lacerated Cornea, and that's how the entropion was found and diagnosed. It was a number of months from initial diagnosis until he had surgery, but the condition never ever reversed itself, no matter what food he was being fed.
I'm glad he had the surgery, he feels better and he looks better, and that's all that matters.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Peggy Sue had the Entropion surgery on Tuesday, she had one eye with some lashes growing in, that eye was the cauterized lid. The other eye had the surgery. She's gonna feel so much better.
She didn't goop as much as she squinted. I do have after surgery pictures that were posted Wednesday.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Hello,

Entropion is a common problem, but not common enough for some vets. There are other breds of dogs that also get this problem, but Bullies are high on the list. I think a good bullie vet or any vet that knows good dog anatomy would be able to tell.

Of course if you were to post several pics for us to look at...collectively the arm chair vets/techs that we have here would also give an opinion.

While it seems like a simple problem, it is a problem that sooner or later will have to be dealt with.

G'Day~

I've no wisdom on the topic -- I just had to say it is nice to see a post from you. Your posts helped me a lot when I first got here to EBN. Good to see you [MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION].

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.