Help Needed! 18-Week Old Puppy Drinking A LOT of Water

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
Hi there,
The last two days I've noticed that Sancho has been drinking all of his water and waiting for more. His dish is around 32 oz. and normally he'll drink 1/3 - 1/2 of it, but lately it's been all of it without a breath in between. If we interrupt him, he will leave it and forget. But when he eventually goes back 30 mins to an hour later, he'll finish it off and look up for more. Coincidentally, I haven't seen how his urine is and how much because hubby's been doing the walking lately. It just is such a dramatic change that it's a little startling.

Should I be concerned?

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
It's good that your aware of the change....I wouldn't panic yet, it could be as simple as he just needs more water because he's bigger now, but if he continues to drink what you think is excessively you might want he take him in to get checked by the vet....excessive thirst anything from urinary tract infection to diabetes (but it's probably nothing)...

L

Lucy-licious

I was just going to repeat what [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] said :) Check his pee for signs of infection...smelling offencive?stronger than usual...darker colour, possible blood stained... dribbling from the penis...and more frequent peeing but only passing small amouts. :hug:

OP
redhed

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
Thank you! I have been noticing that his morning urine is a lot shorter than usual -- that's the one I'm always there for because I wake up first and take him out. If he is, indeed, urinating more often in small amounts, would that point to a UTI?

Thank you again! I was worried about him all night :)

L

Lucy-licious

If he's peeing more than usual but only small amounts or even looks like he's going to pee but doesnt then yes that could be a sign of infection and would be worth trying to catch a sample and take it along with him to the vets x
My rule of thumb is always if you are worried for more than 24 hrs then take them to the vet, its not gona hurt and is worth the small cost of a visit for peice of mind.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.