URGENT!!! Heat rash, food allergie, bug bites??

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Our 4 year old "Pootie" started looking exactly like that about 5 months ago, scratching, licking his paws, shaking his head, At first we thought it was a food allergy, so we held back his dog food (Royal Canin Bulldog 24) for a couple days and fed him rice & chicken, but the bumps and rash stayed the same, than we thought it was fleas, b/c we do live in an apartment complex with lots of other dogs and had skipped his flea medicine that month, than we thought it was the shampoo we were using, which was oatmeal based, so finally after about 4-5 days of racking our brains we took him to his vet, who said it didn't look like a food allergy, but he was allergic to something, and than gave me the "bulldog's have many skin problems", and wanted almost $500 for blood work to tell me what he was allergic to, since times are a little tough right now and we can not afford the blood work, "Pootie" get's an allergy shot about every 25 days, usually around the 22-23rd day the bumps and rash start occuring again, He did get a staff infection from the bumps/rash and is now on an antibiotic, which is seaming to work. I don't like him getting the shot b/c it is a steroid, so it makes him VERY thirsty, which makes him pee alot and seems to make him lazier than he already is. Hopefully you will get some answers and your little girl will be at ease.

Hi there! Have you tried a grain free diet for Pootie? Maybe try to control it without steroid if thats possible and save the money to get the allergy test...Try to call around vets in the area(if you have a couple good bullie vets to choose from) and see if you can find a lower price. I am sorry you both are going through this :( If you try grain free it may really help and chicken free to start and see where you can start. I will tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] she will definatley be able to help you with this.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Our 4 year old "Pootie" started looking exactly like that about 5 months ago, scratching, licking his paws, shaking his head, At first we thought it was a food allergy, so we held back his dog food (Royal Canin Bulldog 24) for a couple days and fed him rice & chicken, but the bumps and rash stayed the same, than we thought it was fleas, b/c we do live in an apartment complex with lots of other dogs and had skipped his flea medicine that month, than we thought it was the shampoo we were using, which was oatmeal based, so finally after about 4-5 days of racking our brains we took him to his vet, who said it didn't look like a food allergy, but he was allergic to something, and than gave me the "bulldog's have many skin problems", and wanted almost $500 for blood work to tell me what he was allergic to, since times are a little tough right now and we can not afford the blood work, "Pootie" get's an allergy shot about every 25 days, usually around the 22-23rd day the bumps and rash start occuring again, He did get a staff infection from the bumps/rash and is now on an antibiotic, which is seaming to work. I don't like him getting the shot b/c it is a steroid, so it makes him VERY thirsty, which makes him pee alot and seems to make him lazier than he already is. Hopefully you will get some answers and your little girl will be at ease.
its so hard to tell with these guys what it is that bothering them. i usually start with food and go from there. you say you did chicken and rice for a couple of days but it can take longer for symptoms to clear up. also maybe try beef and rice for a bit longer than a few days like a week or so. you could also try a probiotic and maybe a vitamin to try and get the immune system going again. ill help with food all i can

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, my...first, get her back on the benedryl. That will likely help her for now. She looks like she needs a skin scrape for sure. I would do what I could to get one and then start to boost her immune system with fish oil, probiotics and a raw egg two to three times a week. You can also give some coconut oil. Mine eat it off of a spoon (since it is solid unless heated) or you can put some on her food.

I usually will start with a food change too because it could CERTAINLY be food. BUT it could be something environmental. Consider these things:

What are you cleaning your floors with?
Are you putting anything on your carpets before you vacuum?
What are you washing her bedding with or cleaning her crate with?
Does she sleep with you? If so, what detergent are you using on your own bed.
What are you washing her with?

If it were me, immediately I would give her some benedryl. Then I would give her a bath with vinegar/water just in case it is something environmental. That might help get it off of her. Put her in a T-shirt to help protect her skin until you figure it out. I would put her on bland diet of hamburger and rice (just boil the burger and strain it). Do that for a week or so and then start a new, grain free, gluten free, chicken free food. Preferably one with only ONE protein source such as NVI lamb. Those are just things that MIGHT help you get a handle on today but she needs to get to the vet as soon as you can.

Good luck and PLEASE let us know how she does and what you decide to do.

That poor baby!!!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent advice above, poor dear that looks very itchy!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: franklin has the same thing but not as bad its from fleas I used frontline plus an that did not work one bit I used k9 advantix 2 last night an already he's flea free I did the house too with spray. Are they like little pus pimples cause that's what franklin has. He's still itchy so I'm hoping that's what its from cause nothing else has changed. But I use ACV an it works great I love the stuff he had gotten a yeast infection on his tail from eating Fromm puppy gold an I used ACV an In 4 days it was gone so I would try it I put it in a spray bottle an I poor it on baby wipes an in there water it does wonders.

OP
B

Bombon

Aug 3, 2012
Mission hill
Bulldog(s) Names
Bombon
thanks every one for your tips i realy need them, As of today i change her food hopefuly that does good, am gonna try couple of things, see what i come across and i will let ya'll know whats the outcome..

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
My 6 month English bulldog has this big problem since i got her 3 months ago i took her to the Vet. the first time, and they did'nt know what was wrong with her they charged me alot of $ to just give me benadryl and antibiotic the first time it did go away but this thrird time its back and very bad today i saw she starting bleeding they look like bug bites but i see no bugs in my apt. i throw out her bedding twice thinking its the fabric or the dirt but still bad, replace her food from Wellness for puppys to Natural Balance limited ingridients diet, i replace her shampoo for tea tree shampoo it suppost to release her itch and swollenness but seems not to work i stoped taking her out side for her potty trips because afraid grass was the problem, or the sun but still problem continues am very worry for her because it,s an abundance of red bumps all over her body, oh and shes drinkin alot of water and eating all her food potty its solid no softness you know what i mean, i dont think it's food allergies, any of you might have a advice that might work??

View attachment 25909View attachment 25910View attachment 25911

It looks like a really bad case of hives. This has just been the worst year for all kinds of allergies and our bullies are so suseptible to all of the environmental things that are "thrown" on us. Dublin had such a bad case that the Vet gave her a shot of steroids to quickly boost that immune system. You need a shot not pills as you want a good "attack" on them. Then Benydryl. Dublin gets it 3x a day and can't let a day go by without it. If your vet is not a "Bully vet" ( mine is) then he/she might not now. I think the more changes you make to her diet and everything else may hinder not help at this point. I will look for photos of Dublin at her very worst and post them here for you to see. Maybe you can show my pics to your vet and tell them what course of treatment she had. Hang in there.

spldrttn1

Feb 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Rocky
poor baby, my bully had it several weeks ago took him to the vet said it was an allergic reaction to something NOT... it was a heat rash. friend has a bulky he explained to me what it was, keep dry (no cold
compresses) talc powder and ask the vet for a I Beleive it was a cortizon<---spelling shot...by that night it was gone. I even tried to give him Benedryl pills that did nothing for the rash maybe for the itch ...thru tried to tell me to change his food change his bedding had nothing to do with it... goodluck!

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
My 6 month English bulldog has this big problem since i got her 3 months ago i took her to the Vet. the first time, and they did'nt know what was wrong with her they charged me alot of $ to just give me benadryl and antibiotic the first time it did go away but this thrird time its back and very bad today i saw she starting bleeding they look like bug bites but i see no bugs in my apt. i throw out her bedding twice thinking its the fabric or the dirt but still bad, replace her food from Wellness for puppys to Natural Balance limited ingridients diet, i replace her shampoo for tea tree shampoo it suppost to release her itch and swollenness but seems not to work i stoped taking her out side for her potty trips because afraid grass was the problem, or the sun but still problem continues am very worry for her because it,s an abundance of red bumps all over her body, oh and shes drinkin alot of water and eating all her food potty its solid no softness you know what i mean, i dont think it's food allergies, any of you might have a advice that might work??

View attachment 25909View attachment 25910View attachment 25911

Here are the pics of Dublin with a terrible case of Hives. She is mostly white also and while I don't have a "full coat" view. She looked exactly like your third pic. As I said a shot of steroids ( hate them but in this case she needed it) and then Benydryl daily without fail. Hope these photos help you and the vet.

dublinhive2.jpgdublinhive3.jpgdublinhive4.jpgDublinhives1.jpg

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i also just want to say that when sarah has hives zyrtec seems to work better for her than benadryl. hers of course are not as bad as the pics above but you can also give zyrtec if benadryl is not working. i have also given sarah both on occasion if one did not work alone. if they are bad enough some prednisone or a shot maybe needed.

OP
B

Bombon

Aug 3, 2012
Mission hill
Bulldog(s) Names
Bombon
Hi everyone thank you once again for the tips I tried a couple of ideas but waitn on the results, happy to say Bombon she still a litle itchy but she's lookin better I change her food and am waiting if all the red bumps go away, I can say her red irritated skin (belly) its lookin way better right now, I did ran to the pet store and got a tea tree & aloha shampoo witch I think it's helping and also Benadryl it's a must,,

OP
B

Bombon

Aug 3, 2012
Mission hill
Bulldog(s) Names
Bombon
well bombon just turn 1 this past month she is doing great, her rash, allergy ,food rash never came back after I moved from the building I was staying at, it had something to do with the carpet!! am sure now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
well bombon just turn 1 this past month she is doing great, her rash, allergy ,food rash never came back after I moved from the building I was staying at, it had something to do with the carpet!! am sure now.

WOW... just goes to tell us, it can be anything that these babies are sensitive too. Thank for the update... so glad he is doing well

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
OUCH...that looks so uncomfortable :( when Forde goes outside , and it happens every year around this time, his stomach breaks out all over, the breeder told me that it could happen being that their little tummies are so low to the ground and the grass irritates it....her solution was each time he comes in check his tummy and if its starting to break out spray it with listerine....i do it each time it happens and with in 30 minutes to an hour his tummy is all cleared up!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.