Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MITES !!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Coco
    Likes (Received)

Default MITES !!!

Hi every one

So coco has been haveing a few lumps and scabs lately. After 3 vet visits they said she has mites. !!! They have give us antibiotics and we start them tomorrow and a shampoo. Any other advise of what I can do to make them go quicker ??

Thanks Jemma and coco x

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MITES !!!

I have no experience with them, but I believe the more you wash the more the die!! There are a few members that fought these, but I unfortunately can not remember their names.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Thankfully we have not had mites here either. Sorry I can't help!

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I think you need to boost her immune system too. The way I understand it is that all dogs have mites, but when they are put under stress or their immune system is weakened then the mites "take over". I would look at fish oil, probiotic yogurt, .... in fact google foods that boost the immune system and although you will come up with loads of results for humans. Most of those can be given to a bully too as a "topping" to their regular food!

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I dealt with it with Gypsy. What exactly did he give you. YES you need to boost her immune system. I will go search for a really, really long post I did once and give you the link. It talks all about mange and how to manage it.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Here is one thread that has good info though not the one I was looking for. Read through it and I hope it helps!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...nts-other.html

Bulldog(s) Names
    Petee
    Likes (Received)

Hi, Petee was diagnosed with Demodetic Mange mites at about 2 1/5 months of age. It was moderate. I took the least toxic approach from my Vet. She put him on Pyoban Shampoo and Gel- Alternating the two. Also, Cephalexin antibiotic and benadryl. I was already changing his food from Eukanuba puppy to a high quality food- Natures Variety Grain Free food. You need to boost Coco's immune system. The mites suppresses the immune system. If you haven't already, change to a high quality food-slowly- so as not to stress Coco's system even more. Also, adding a fish oil helps too. I used Nutri-Vet Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil and gave it every night on his food. I got a lot of this advice from the great members here! Within 2 months time, he was clear! He had three skin scrapings and was negative. His is now almost 8 months old and looks great. You can't even tell where the spots were. Some people used Ivermectin, Milbemycin oxime (Interceptor), or even Amitraz dips. I did not want to take that toxic route on a 2 1/5 month old puppy unless i had too. Lucky for us and Petee, the safer route worked. I did try the Goodwinol ointment and shampoo but it ended up burning his skin and the ointment was greasy and reddish in color on his white fur (he looked worse then what he was) so i went back to Pyoban. I was diligent with it-and tried to be patient! There is a lot of info. online. I am now in the process of changing his food to Fromm Beef Fratata and Veg. because he was very gassy, loose stools, and bad tear stains on the other food-every dog is different, and like the members will tell you, it will take time to find the right food for your bully. Best of luck to you and Coco!

Lucy-licious

I gave a little advise regarding the home too on your other post...just a few tips about emptying the Hoover each time and mopping with bleach for now xxx

Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

My pup Guinness is still fighting the demodex battle, we thought we had beat it early this year but then moved house and shortly afterwards he was showing signs again of hair loss, itching etc. skin scrapes have shown egg larvae - he's now on ivermectin one a week for a year as vet said he is a chronic case. I'm hoping that this time we have caught it very early and he won't be as bad. He's back on pyohex shampoo twice weekly, still has fish oil in his food and I have added a dog multivitamin daily. He gets boiled chicken with his grain free earthborn primitive natural kibble as well. He hates the ivermectin - have to hide it in cream cheese. I bought him a Tshirt for evenings and early mornings which is helping alot with the itching/scratching that caused the infection last time. Hoping to beat these mites once and for all!! Vet said his immune system could be taking a bit longer to develop fully -imageuploadedbytapatalk1345203042-640045-jpg

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Just a tip that is in the post i put the link for.... Neem oil will kill the mites. It is TOPICAL ONLY and I used it half/half with lavender oil to lessen the smell. I got mine at Whole Foods in the oil section. You pit it directly on the affected areas. Works great for ear mites and as a flea/mosquito repellent but not really for wide spread use. Fish oil is great along with probiotics to boost the immune system. Salmon oil is the way to go. Get a grain free food and don't give fruit and veggie treats as the mites will flourish with the carbs/sugars.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chevy
    Likes (Received)

My pup is fighting the Demodectic battle himself. I hate to say it, but this has been the longest 3 weeks of my life, and I truly mean that. I was searching for an almost immediate cure or instant relief for him, especially as the days went by and he moaned and whined in excruciating pain. We are seeming to be winning now at this point. Our vet has taken the Mitoban dip approach w/ 2x daily antibiotics. We have also changed his food to a grain free organic (Castor & Pollux) which seems to help. We have also added daily fish oil to his food, use towels/Tshirts to wrap him up and pat/lightly scratch him to give him comfort, daily Claritin, neosporin and anti itch creams to the affected areas and lots of love!! I wish you the best in winning your battle. It's a long road, but you wiki get through it!

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by petee2 View Post
    Hi, Petee was diagnosed with Demodetic Mange mites at about 2 1/5 months of age. It was moderate. I took the least toxic approach from my Vet. She put him on Pyoban Shampoo and Gel- Alternating the two. Also, Cephalexin antibiotic and benadryl. I was already changing his food from Eukanuba puppy to a high quality food- Natures Variety Grain Free food. You need to boost Coco's immune system. The mites suppresses the immune system. If you haven't already, change to a high quality food-slowly- so as not to stress Coco's system even more. Also, adding a fish oil helps too. I used Nutri-Vet Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil and gave it every night on his food. I got a lot of this advice from the great members here! Within 2 months time, he was clear! He had three skin scrapings and was negative. His is now almost 8 months old and looks great. You can't even tell where the spots were. Some people used Ivermectin, Milbemycin oxime (Interceptor), or even Amitraz dips. I did not want to take that toxic route on a 2 1/5 month old puppy unless i had too. Lucky for us and Petee, the safer route worked. I did try the Goodwinol ointment and shampoo but it ended up burning his skin and the ointment was greasy and reddish in color on his white fur (he looked worse then what he was) so i went back to Pyoban. I was diligent with it-and tried to be patient! There is a lot of info. online. I am now in the process of changing his food to Fromm Beef Fratata and Veg. because he was very gassy, loose stools, and bad tear stains on the other food-every dog is different, and like the members will tell you, it will take time to find the right food for your bully. Best of luck to you and Coco!

This is great advise
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads