Help Needed! MITES !!!

Cocosmammy123

Apr 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Hi every one

So coco has been haveing a few lumps and scabs lately. After 3 vet visits they said she has mites. !!! They have give us antibiotics and we start them tomorrow and a shampoo. Any other advise of what I can do to make them go quicker ??

Thanks Jemma and coco x

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience with them, but I believe the more you wash the more the die!! There are a few members that fought these, but I unfortunately can not remember their names.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think you need to boost her immune system too. The way I understand it is that all dogs have mites, but when they are put under stress or their immune system is weakened then the mites "take over". I would look at fish oil, probiotic yogurt, .... in fact google foods that boost the immune system and although you will come up with loads of results for humans. Most of those can be given to a bully too as a "topping" to their regular food! :up:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I dealt with it with Gypsy. What exactly did he give you. YES you need to boost her immune system. I will go search for a really, really long post I did once and give you the link. It talks all about mange and how to manage it.

petee2

Mar 26, 2012
Scott Township, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petee
Hi, Petee was diagnosed with Demodetic Mange mites at about 2 1/5 months of age. It was moderate. I took the least toxic approach from my Vet. She put him on Pyoban Shampoo and Gel- Alternating the two. Also, Cephalexin antibiotic and benadryl. I was already changing his food from Eukanuba puppy to a high quality food- Natures Variety Grain Free food. You need to boost Coco's immune system. The mites suppresses the immune system. If you haven't already, change to a high quality food-slowly- so as not to stress Coco's system even more. Also, adding a fish oil helps too. I used Nutri-Vet Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil and gave it every night on his food. I got a lot of this advice from the great members here! Within 2 months time, he was clear! He had three skin scrapings and was negative. His is now almost 8 months old and looks great. You can't even tell where the spots were. Some people used Ivermectin, Milbemycin oxime (Interceptor), or even Amitraz dips. I did not want to take that toxic route on a 2 1/5 month old puppy unless i had too. Lucky for us and Petee, the safer route worked. I did try the Goodwinol ointment and shampoo but it ended up burning his skin and the ointment was greasy and reddish in color on his white fur (he looked worse then what he was) so i went back to Pyoban. I was diligent with it-and tried to be patient! There is a lot of info. online. I am now in the process of changing his food to Fromm Beef Fratata and Veg. because he was very gassy, loose stools, and bad tear stains on the other food-every dog is different, and like the members will tell you, it will take time to find the right food for your bully. Best of luck to you and Coco!

L

Lucy-licious

I gave a little advise regarding the home too on your other post...just a few tips about emptying the Hoover each time and mopping with bleach for now xxx

lisastrathern

Nov 9, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
My pup Guinness is still fighting the demodex battle, we thought we had beat it early this year but then moved house and shortly afterwards he was showing signs again of hair loss, itching etc. skin scrapes have shown egg larvae - he's now on ivermectin one a week for a year as vet said he is a chronic case. I'm hoping that this time we have caught it very early and he won't be as bad. He's back on pyohex shampoo twice weekly, still has fish oil in his food and I have added a dog multivitamin daily. He gets boiled chicken with his grain free earthborn primitive natural kibble as well. He hates the ivermectin - have to hide it in cream cheese. I bought him a Tshirt for evenings and early mornings which is helping alot with the itching/scratching that caused the infection last time. Hoping to beat these mites once and for all!! Vet said his immune system could be taking a bit longer to develop fully ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345203042.640045.jpg

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Just a tip that is in the post i put the link for.... Neem oil will kill the mites. It is TOPICAL ONLY and I used it half/half with lavender oil to lessen the smell. I got mine at Whole Foods in the oil section. You pit it directly on the affected areas. Works great for ear mites and as a flea/mosquito repellent but not really for wide spread use. Fish oil is great along with probiotics to boost the immune system. Salmon oil is the way to go. Get a grain free food and don't give fruit and veggie treats as the mites will flourish with the carbs/sugars.

Chevys Mama

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy
My pup is fighting the Demodectic battle himself. I hate to say it, but this has been the longest 3 weeks of my life, and I truly mean that. I was searching for an almost immediate cure or instant relief for him, especially as the days went by and he moaned and whined in excruciating pain. We are seeming to be winning now at this point. Our vet has taken the Mitoban dip approach w/ 2x daily antibiotics. We have also changed his food to a grain free organic (Castor & Pollux) which seems to help. We have also added daily fish oil to his food, use towels/Tshirts to wrap him up and pat/lightly scratch him to give him comfort, daily Claritin, neosporin and anti itch creams to the affected areas and lots of love!! I wish you the best in winning your battle. It's a long road, but you wiki get through it!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hi, Petee was diagnosed with Demodetic Mange mites at about 2 1/5 months of age. It was moderate. I took the least toxic approach from my Vet. She put him on Pyoban Shampoo and Gel- Alternating the two. Also, Cephalexin antibiotic and benadryl. I was already changing his food from Eukanuba puppy to a high quality food- Natures Variety Grain Free food. You need to boost Coco's immune system. The mites suppresses the immune system. If you haven't already, change to a high quality food-slowly- so as not to stress Coco's system even more. Also, adding a fish oil helps too. I used Nutri-Vet Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil and gave it every night on his food. I got a lot of this advice from the great members here! Within 2 months time, he was clear! He had three skin scrapings and was negative. His is now almost 8 months old and looks great. You can't even tell where the spots were. Some people used Ivermectin, Milbemycin oxime (Interceptor), or even Amitraz dips. I did not want to take that toxic route on a 2 1/5 month old puppy unless i had too. Lucky for us and Petee, the safer route worked. I did try the Goodwinol ointment and shampoo but it ended up burning his skin and the ointment was greasy and reddish in color on his white fur (he looked worse then what he was) so i went back to Pyoban. I was diligent with it-and tried to be patient! There is a lot of info. online. I am now in the process of changing his food to Fromm Beef Fratata and Veg. because he was very gassy, loose stools, and bad tear stains on the other food-every dog is different, and like the members will tell you, it will take time to find the right food for your bully. Best of luck to you and Coco!

This is great advise :smoochwink:

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Also, if you pup is a girl, be aware that if she hits heat, it may come back or flare up if she still has a bit. My vet wouldn't spay Gypsy at 6 months because the surgery can also lower the immune system and cause the mites to take over again. She is mite free now (and so they will spay her now) but I am always watching because all dogs have these mites and if they flare up again, we have to be ready.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
I think you need to boost her immune system too. The way I understand it is that all dogs have mites, but when they are put under stress or their immune system is weakened then the mites "take over". I would look at fish oil, probiotic yogurt, .... in fact google foods that boost the immune system and although you will come up with loads of results for humans. Most of those can be given to a bully too as a "topping" to their regular food! :up:

Yes, there are other thread that others have talked about mites and demodectic;

"Demodectic mange (also known as red mange, follicular mange, or puppy mange) is a skin disease, generally of young dogs, caused by the mite,Demodex canis. It may surprise you to know that demodectic mites of various species live on the bodies of virtually every adult dog and most human beings, without causing any harm or irritation. These small (0.25 mm) mites that look like microscopic alligators live inside of the hair follicles (i.e., the pore within the skin through which the hair shaft comes through), hence the name follicular mange. In humans, the mites usually are found in the skin, eyelids, and the creases of the nose"

Along with meds, there are shampoos that at very effective. I also found a great product that is a super skin product. No, I don't sell it, but PM me for the name and details.

G'Day~

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online