Other I cut the quick!!!

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
OMG I feel sooooo horrible. Last night I was going to take a little off Bruin's nails. The first nail I cut the quick, Oh the blood!! I have never seen so much blood. I didn't have any styptic powder and I forgot all about corn starch! I was trying to put pressure on it and it just didn't work....finally I wrapped it with paper towels, wrapped gauze around it nice and tight and it finally stopped. So I took it off (I didn't want him chewing it when I went to bed) and I had a feeling that it was going to start again so I stuck around and sure enough it started again, so I wrapped the paw again and stayed with him putting additional pressure on it for 45 min. Finally it stopped, unwrapped and still stayed downstairs to check on him for awhile more. This morning after he went out it started to bleed just a tiny bit and that's when I remembered to grab the corn starch and it helped. I feel so horrible!!!! I don't think I can cut his nails again.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Ouch!! Vegas has all black nails, I have always taken him to have his done. I am to afraid of doing what you did, and he hates his nails done. It takes two techs one to hold him and one to dremel to get his nails done.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I took him to Petco once and absolutely hated the girls there and just had it in my mind that all Petco's are like that. I like to bring him to the vet, but its 30 min away and $22 a whack and he needs them done like every 2 weeks. Ugh! I'm just gonna have to shell it out.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I did the same to Chanel the first time I cut her nails..:( From that day forward I never did them again! We went to Petsmart once but Brutus almost fell off the table and I didnt like the way they were handling him..We got to the vet every 3 weeks for nails/anal glands...

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Poor baby!!!! I know that has to hurt. Don't worry momma, you didn't mean it :(

If you do it again and for the reference of anyone reading this that might want the info, get a bar of soap and make sure it is wet and kind of soft. Stick the nail in the bar of soap and it will form a plug to stop the bleeding. Flour works too along with the corn starch that you used.

I do mine myself and luckily the bullies will lay still and have nice clear/white nails so that I can see the quick. The Basset is a mess though and it takes two of us plus most of her nails are black. I just sliver off a tiny bit at a time like the vet showed me. That way if you do catch the quick, it is just a tiny nip and not a huge cut. Works great for us.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Oh I forgot to mention that. I did try soap and it didn't work what so ever. Not one bit! Why do you think it didn't?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh I forgot to mention that. I did try soap and it didn't work what so ever. Not one bit! Why do you think it didn't?

I'm not sure! I cut one of Gator's down too much because he jerked and it worked great for us....

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
All we had was Dove's Men Care. Could it have been different ingredients?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Flour or cornstarch works too! If you use a dremmel you won't cut the quick. It's possible but you would likely get a flinch before it happens :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
And THIS is why I don't do my bullys nails .. or any of my other dogs too!!! :no:

Too scared to attempt it!!

We regularly get the two miniature schnauzers, and two poodle mixes cut ... and so when they need a hair cut we usually get a couple of the other dogs done too, and the lady we use only charges $5 per dog.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Flour or cornstarch works too! If you use a dremmel you won't cut the quick. It's possible but you would likely get a flinch before it happens :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

I don't have the dremmel but I have that other rotary file and he doesn't like the noise...besides, I don't think he'll trust me now :(

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

With 7 Bullies and 1 Lab, there is no way I can afford to have them done at the vet or dog food store vet shop or groomers. Over the years I have just used the hand clippers from the cheap all the way to expensive ones.

Did you know that "cutting" the nails actually just breaks them and cracks them? The nail is so tough that the clipper doesn't REALLY cut the nail but rather cracks it off when you apply the pressure.

I bought one of the 2 D cell battery rotary nail trimmers with the custom fitted head to know when to stop. The battery power is not enough to really spin fast enough to do it quickly enough.

So I invested in a DREMEL tool. The kit was from a local home improvement store, had lots of fancy attachments and was a 8 speed drill and cost me $80.00. Since I had been trying the battery power, getting the dogs adjusted to the drill was a simply process. Now I can keep all 8 dogs, 31 feet and all of the nails nice and short.

The drill has a low speed that I use to start off with introducing to the dogs. From my years involved with Arabian horses, I knew how to introduce the process. I turn it on at the lowest speed and let them look at it, hear it, see it, smell it. Once they are OK with that, then I take the non drill end and with it turned on, rub up against a shoulder or hip to let them FELL the vibration. Sometimes it takes 2 -3 times of just doing that and not even touching a foot or nail. When I get ready for the nail, again I start off on slow speed and just barely let the drill top touch the nail. Maybe I only get a scuff off the length, but after taking it slowly, I am ow able to whip out all of them in no time at all.

They will even stand and let me trim their nails! I straddle over the top of them ad hold them between me legs, lean over and do the fronts. Then I turn around and face backwards and pick up their back feet, lifting backwards to trim, the same way a horse shoer does the back feet of a horse?

So I encourage you to get a Dremel drill. They even make a cordless rechargeable so you don't have to mess with the cord!

G'day~

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I've been so proud of myself 3 months doing Porkys nails n no accidents until tonight!!!! Ran for the corn starch didn't work went for the soap that didn't work I had to apply direct pressure for 5 minutes to get it to stop then while I was washing the blood off of my hands I started sobbing :'(

RIP all the bullies who got their wings to soon u were all loved

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww don't feel bad, you didn't mean it. I also trim my guys nails, although I've also had them done at the groomers. I'm always nervous because Dozer has white nails on the front paws, but his back paws all have black nails. I always just trim the tips of his nails, I don't go very short. I have to do it more often, because they grow faster when not trimmed short, but I don't want to cut the quick.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.