Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tired of paying for medicine that doesn't work........

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tired of paying for medicine that doesn't work........

Since I am not familiar with your area, I can't really recommend anyone but if you do a google search of Maryland Veterinary Ophthalmologist, it should give you some options. I did and came up with several. You may need to call your regular vet and tell him you need a second opinion and have him send a referral. Most good vets will do this without a visit. I cannot give any advice about the cherry eye since I very limited knowledge about that. Does the guy you are using now know that it cleared with steroids? Those aren't for long term use except as a last resort because they are very damaging to the body but it seems that is a clue that an allergy may be making the situation worse.

Oh, I also wanted to say that if the meds (or even some of them) are available at a pharmacy, call around because they can vary WIDELY in price. One big name pharmacy was $40 for the FREE eye meds that I got just up the street.

Food, well, take a look at our food rating system here under "articles" at the top of the page. I would, personally, look for something grain/gluten free and without chicken if possible. Do a slow transition and wait at least 6 weeks on the new food to see if there is any improvement. There are lots of good ones that vary widely in price. Once you have chosen a few options, you can check dogfoodadvisor.com and see an explanation of the ingredients. They will cost more than what you are feeding now, but the portion size is smaller so you end up feeding less AND if it helps, then you will save money on vet visits, etc. An added benefit is usually less POO!! You don't really need a weight control formula. It will be portion control that will keep her weight down, along with a quality food without the added, useless, fatty ingredients.

I hope this helps and I also hope that someone with experience with cherry eye or dry eye will come along and offer better advice on that.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Good Morning.... Im a bit late to your thread as I was having connection problems. I have a couple of suggestions for you. As others have said food is an issue. There are so many that it gets confusing. I'll mention three here in order of MY preference, not that they will work for your baby as they are all different. My favorite and what works best for HRH *Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie* is Fromm Beef Frittata. It is grain/gluten free and contains NO chicken or chicken fat which is a major allergen of bullies. Fromm is about $60 for the largest bag but obviously you dont start with a huge bag in case she doesnt do well on it and you need to switch to something else. Fromm guarantees their food so you are safe that you arent wasting your money to try it. IF, Fromm isnt available in your area it can be purchased online from Petflow. Two other brands that are excellent foods are Earthborn and Nature's Variety. They both have grain and chicken free flavors. Food is a trial and error thing so sometimes it take a couple switched before you hit on the right one... ALWAYS switch VERY slowly. I can give you the process for switching but to save time here I'll leave that out for now. Food mean everything!
    Now, about her eyes. HRH's eyes cleared up quite a bit with Fromm but not altogether clear. At first, we got Blink lubricating eye drops from Walgreens. For an OTC drop it worked pretty well. Her vet however warned that it gets washed our of her eyes too quickly with the little tears she was producing. He recommended a prescription gel that not only lubricated but made the tear glands produce more tears call Optimmune. It is about $38 for a tiny tube but it takes so little that it lasts nearly 2 months here. It works GREAT. He tests her tear production and she is producing tears at a level that he no longer recommends eye surgery like he did before trying the Optimmune.
    One other thing, Benedryl can be your friend for certain allergies.
    Hope this helps.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@dozersmama, thanks so much for that information! It is so interesting that the immune system attacks the gland.

Also @BruceP gave great advice as well.

Bulldog(s) Names
    none yet
    Likes (Received)

Thank you to all!!! I will get the Optimmune drops and change her food out. Will let you guys know how it goes

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stefambrose View Post
    Thank you to all!!! I will get the Optimmune drops and change her food out. Will let you guys know how it goes
    It's worth trying. I have found Optimmune available online but you still may need a prescription for it. Just dont expect instant success with any food change because the old food stays in their system for many weeks. Another tip is to put a tblsp. of Canned Pumpkin (NOT pie filling) in the mixture when transitioning. This will help greatly during the transition to keep her from having runny poo. Also be careful not to overfeed.

Bulldog(s) Names
    none yet
    Likes (Received)

Oh real quick....I noticed this optimunne has a generic called cyclosporin....cyclosporin is actually the medicine I've been giving her with no luck...It is a yellow liquid eye drop? ...I notice the optimunne looks more like a gel tube tho... same thing or no?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I looked up optical cyclosporin and it says that it isn't necessarily for the symptoms but actually a medicine that will help them produce the maximum amount of tears possible and that it can take several months (up to 6) to start seeing a benefit. I also found that Optimunne is a cyclosporin drug.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stefambrose View Post
    Oh real quick....I noticed this optimunne has a generic called cyclosporin....cyclosporin is actually the medicine I've been giving her with no luck...It is a yellow liquid eye drop? ...I notice the optimunne looks more like a gel tube tho... same thing or no?
    .2% cyclsporin. It is CLEAR and a gel. I put about a 1/8" long piece on the tip of my finger and transfer it to the inside of her eye lid that I roll back with my other hand. Im careful not to touch her eye and always wash my hands just before doing it. Her vet recommended using the tip of the tube instead of my finger but I have better control with my finger. I think because it is a gel it will stay in her eye longer than a liquid. Not the same thing I dont think

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads