Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What dog food are you feeding her?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes was wondering the same thing. I am of no help in the yeast dept but if you arent feeding a good food or if your pup has allergies to what is being fed licking the paws is a sure sign.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
That was my first thought too. If I've learned nothing else from this site, it's the importance of a good quality food and finding the one that's just right for your Bully.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I mean it really sounds like she is having an allergy to something, and changing the diet is a good start.

Do you have any photos of her affected areas? She may definately require a trip to the vet, but if this started AFTER you got her then I would look at what has changed in her life. Food, treats, grass, toys, ect.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I was thinking grass too. Is she laying in a grassy yard? She might need to be on prednisone for a few days to see if she gets better.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Frontline can cause allergic reaction I have experienced it with my dogs. Try comfortis or another oral flea treatment. Also try alavert instead of steroids first its a very good allergy med I used it on my olde when she has hives from frontline and started chewing herself. I am in total agreement about the food too. She could be grain intolerant or have an allergy to bi-products or corn. To relieve her skin of the itching give her a bath in selsun blue and a white vinegar rinse . I have used this before to clean my dogs ears and it works a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. But i would def consult my vet before doing anything just to be safe.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson has had this problem in the past, it's his allergies acting up. A grain free, fish based diet (I feed Fromm Surf & Turf) with salmon oil added to his food and daily antihistamines have helped alot. He gets seasonal allergies still though. For a couples months he will hardly lick he's paws and will be looking fabulous. Then for a month or so his allergies will flare up and he'll be licking his paws like crazy. It will come out of no where, when I haven't made any changes to his diet, lifestlye, etc so I know its a seasonal thing. A proper diet is of up most importance in allergy sufferers, try grain free.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Any particular Blooms in your area of the US right now? Our Sophie actually has pollen allergies and gets worse during Jan-March here in FL.
Allergies can develop at any stage of their life. The food may still be okay. The first thing you need to do is make changes ONE at a time. My vet told me the things to look at most is Plastic (even in fibers of cloth toys, bedding), Food (use a limited ingredient) and pollens. Also, have you given hdf any new treats lately. Remember as good as her food may be, treats will also effect her diet and reactions.
Try giving her a good bath in a pet/allergy/sensitive formula. I actually get an organic shampoo here in town, sold at our local Arts Market. Then a rinse in water and Cider Vinegar. It really helps with hot spots. Then take one thing away at a time, like plastic toys, plastic bowls etc....

I will tell you, we had a bully growing up, he was allergic to grass. So he licked his paws all the time and he got welts in between his toes.
Another thing. The 3 year Rabies shot. Do not do it. I have a brother in law who lost his Jack Russell from it. Terri's niece is a vet in NY and she said dogs are having very bad reactions to it. One of which is excessive paw licking!!!!

Good luck

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I hate to say this, but her diet is very poor. :( A poor diet will equal a low immune system, which will lead to ALL of the problems you are telling us about.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE allow me to send you a coupon for a free bag of AvoDerm Dog food. While it is not the best of the best, I have two bulldogs who do great on it that otherwise have skin issues. They also love it, it has a special smell unlike any other dog food I have ever tried. Get her off Science Diet and switch to AvoDerm, and no more table scraps. Unless you give her straight chicken, beef, ect without seasonings and BBQ sauce, it is bad for her. If you want to give her table food, cook up some baby carrots or green beans, again- no seasonings. You can also give these to her frozen as a treat.

The canned gravy is probably the worst of all. Not only is it costly for you to add that to her dog food, it is probably the main source of her problems. If you must use a 'topper' to get her to eat her food, try some canned food made by some of the manufactuers on the top of our Dog Food Ratings. If you go to a Petsmart, you can get Blue Buffalo canned food, I have used this before and it actaully has real good stuff in it. It looked like something a human could eat. Here is the Dog Food Ratings: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/DogFoodAnalysis.html

Or 'resident' food expert here on English Bulldog News, [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] says these are the best dog foods for bullies: Fromm, Nature's Logic, Nature's Variety & Merrick, in that order.

The number one mistake people make with their bullies (MYSELF INCLUDED!) is their diet. Molly was diagnosed with allergies and a bad skin infection, it was horrible. You can read her story here: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/DogFood-Then_And_Now.html

I totally know you think you are doing special things for her and giving her the best by doing what you are doing- but I promise you - a new diet will change her life.

This is also one of the reasons so many bullies end up in rescues, shelters and the streets because people give up on them, not knowing they really need a good diet.

One more thing, when you switch foods, switch slowly- don't do it overnight. A little more of the new food at a time.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
[MENTION=994]melanie[/MENTION] Yes, you must switch the food and avoid those table scraps that are especially bad for her. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] has given you some very wise advice - feeding your baby properly is key to solving many of the skin problems she's having plus it will avoid future problems. I know how hard this can be - to make this change - I lost my older bulldog and started feeding the younger one basically whatever he wanted because I wanted him to be happy. The reality is, in the long run, since these are sensitive dogs prone to obesity, feeding them high quality food is going to make them happy - and healthy! There are also some great treats out there for sensitive doggies so your baby can still eat like a queen! Look around the links desertskybulldogs provided and use the search function for more information but if you have any questions, there are lots of people that have experience with lots of types of food and goodies here to help!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I hate to say this, but her diet is very poor. :( A poor diet will equal a low immune system, which will lead to ALL of the problems you are telling us about.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE allow me to send you a coupon for a free bag of AvoDerm Dog food. While it is not the best of the best, I have two bulldogs who do great on it that otherwise have skin issues. They also love it, it has a special smell unlike any other dog food I have ever tried. Get her off Science Diet and switch to AvoDerm, and no more table scraps. Unless you give her straight chicken, beef, ect without seasonings and BBQ sauce, it is bad for her. If you want to give her table food, cook up some baby carrots or green beans, again- no seasonings. You can also give these to her frozen as a treat.

The canned gravy is probably the worst of all. Not only is it costly for you to add that to her dog food, it is probably the main source of her problems. If you must use a 'topper' to get her to eat her food, try some canned food made by some of the manufactuers on the top of our Dog Food Ratings. If you go to a Petsmart, you can get Blue Buffalo canned food, I have used this before and it actaully has real good stuff in it. It looked like something a human could eat. Here is the Dog Food Ratings: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/DogFoodAnalysis.html

Or 'resident' food expert here on English Bulldog News, [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] says these are the best dog foods for bullies: Fromm, Nature's Logic, Nature's Variety & Merrick, in that order.

The number one mistake people make with their bullies (MYSELF INCLUDED!) is their diet. Molly was diagnosed with allergies and a bad skin infection, it was horrible. You can read her story here: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/DogFood-Then_And_Now.html

I totally know you think you are doing special things for her and giving her the best by doing what you are doing- but I promise you - a new diet will change her life.

This is also one of the reasons so many bullies end up in rescues, shelters and the streets because people give up on them, not knowing they really need a good diet.

One more thing, when you switch foods, switch slowly- don't do it overnight. A little more of the new food at a time.

I just got off the phone with Linda. Thank you for suggesting her. I am now very excited to improve all of the dogs diets. She was so kind to research Bella's EPI needs and guide me individually on her. What a blessing! Fromm here we comme!

Last edited:

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
it sounds like Lily has a yeast infection over most of her body, ears,tail, paws, she must be on 500 Mgs of antibiotics for at least ten days by mouth from the vet. and in the mean time you can mix 50/50 percent APPLE CIDER VINEGAR AND WATER --(((( buy it by the gallon for a few weeks,)))) and for the next 3 weeks bath her once a week in a baby shampoo, (it s a PH balance that is OK for dogs) and follow it up with a body rinse of the vinegar/water mix-take a cloth and saturate it with the mixture and get between toes, and face creases, tail, too. AND USE A BABY EAR SYRINGE TO SQUIRT it into the ears TWICE A WEEK ---------THEY WILL never have a YEAST infection again. smell like pickles but no yeast infection again.
----now it also sounds as if she has a food allergies too. if this doesn't clear up to stay clear, please email me for food advice, I am the fussiest food person you will ever know. I feed only the best top two foods. the most common cause of skin,foot,ear, issues is food allergies.
[email protected]--503-377-9640 call me anytime. I have been at this for 12 years, rescuing/ raising

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.