Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
My bulldog - Punk - has been having seizures for the past 6 months. She sits down - starts to bob her head up and down and acts like she is trying to bite something. She also moves her head side to side while bobbing it up and down. Has anyone else had this problem. The vet says a seizure and has her on phenobarbital, but I've also heard that this is common with bully's. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks:yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could be a head tremor...search here for videos. And [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] is great for seizure info

OP
Annie1991

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I'm new here and Libra926 has replied to me in another section - but was advised to post in Health issues too and see what everyone has to say.
If it is a head tremor, does the pheno help or hinder.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I'm new here and Libra926 has replied to me in another section - but was advised to post in Health issues too and see what everyone has to say.

Hey there I posted to you in the other thread about the pheno and its usually given when seizures are present...I was advised by a bully vet to stop the pheno for the fly biting and see how it goes...The pheno is a very strong drug with lots of side effects but its not something that can be stopped cold turkey...I would give him karo syrup or yogurt to distract him...The long term effects of pheno are serious...

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I just went back to the other thred again and Im curious is the vet a bully vet? The vet we first saw told us it wasnt normal and so on and then we went to a bully specific vet and got 2nd opinions and found the biting and tremors are normal and to try and distract...The pheno to us wasnt worth the effects to keep him on it..He isnt having grandmal or petit mal seizures so we stopped after weaining him off...

Where are you from ? We have a vet reccomendtion page also so you can see if you can find your state. Let me know if you need any help :)

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
There are also lots of videos on tremors, seziures, and fly biting....put these words in the search box and you should see a bunch of threads

OP
Annie1991

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I am from Longview, TX. I do not know if we have a specific bully vet here. I will check the thread about vets and see if we have one in our area. If so, I will go see them. Thank you very much !

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I am from Longview, TX. I do not know if we have a specific bully vet here. I will check the thread about vets and see if we have one in our area. If so, I will go see them. Thank you very much !

She is such a cutie pa tootie :) I love her coloring :luv:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

no need for any meds if it is a tremor, just need to say their name, give a treat of some type to distract the muscles. The tremor have no know cause or reason... they are painless and do not cause any additional issues

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
As long as it is only tremors and not seizures there is no help from the medication. The only cure for head tremors is distraction and finding out what is the trigger. Search on the forum in the search box "idiopathic head tremor" and read all the discussions, there is also video people posted of both head tremors and seizures.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
Annie1991

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I searched the forum and found a vet in Colorado that was recommended to talk to. I went to their website and they had a "Question for the vet" section. I sent them an e-mail with all the information. My concern is in giving her pheno twice a day to stop this. So far, it has not helped, but she has only been on it for a week and a half.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Honestly the pheno is really useless for tremors unless they are accompied by seziures.... We started pheno for fly biting but Brutus has 4 seizures (couple months ago) and the side effects were worth it to us...We didnt notice a difference really just in his behavior bumping into things and not being himself...THe pheno cant be stopped cold turkey you will need to decrease slowley to avoid any reactions(seizures)

WIth the tremors Im thinking its low blood sugar or over excitement...Try to watch her and see when it happens and wht she is doing at the moment to trigger it...I wsa told to get everything on video to show drs and to try and record all episdoes to understand the cause..>Tremors are normal even though it doesnt sound right the meds wont do anything to stop it

:hug: to you both

OP
Annie1991

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I'm hoping to hear from the Colorado vet today. If I do stop her pheno I will most definitely wean her off of it. What did Brutus look like when he did the fly biting. Punk bobs her head up and down and goes side to side while she is doing this. She also sticks her tongue out like she is trying to lick something.

linda4568

Aug 7, 2010
Eagle River, Ak
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, Biggy, Pickles, Deebo, Hoss
Good Morning~ One of my Bully's has head tremors. I have taken him to or vet and he said there is nothing that you can do for them. He believes that they are either stress induced or it's from him getting excited.:D

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm hoping to hear from the Colorado vet today. If I do stop her pheno I will most definitely wean her off of it. What did Brutus look like when he did the fly biting. Punk bobs her head up and down and goes side to side while she is doing this. She also sticks her tongue out like she is trying to lick something.

Before weaning speak with the doctor to see how he wants to do it...If not done properly seizures can begin :( I have some videos posted I will find them for you and link them to here...Yea if you notice Punk doing the tremors or biting I would give her some yogurt or karo syrup ....I noticed now that I give him a snack after dinner it doesnt happen so Im thinking maybe low sugar of some sort...Gimme a sec to find the videos

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.