Help Needed! Red Swollen eye lid

pinkerbell81

Jul 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA (Norcal)
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho
So I've been M.I.A. because my little guy has completely taken all of my extra time. Between him, the family, and my day-to-day routine I am maxed out! :whew:

So today I'm a little concerned because my little Chancho has a swollen red lower eyelid. I'm not sure if this is cherry eye or infection. He doesn't have any puss but has had eye boogers in the morning...not every morning but its been a few mornings. The red swollen area goes up and down throughout the day. This has been going on for the last few days. He has an appointment to go in for shots on Weds so I'm trying to hold out for that day. Can you all take a look and let me know if this looks like cherry eye? If not, what the heck is it? It's starting to freak me out a bit. I was considering giving him some benedryl thinking it may be allergies but I didn't want to give him that unless I was absolutely sure. Please help...I'm getting nervous about it.

Attachments

• DSC00889.jpg
    DSC00889.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC00903.jpg
    DSC00903.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC00890.jpg
    DSC00890.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 266

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It most definedly is Sherry eye. You can try to sort of massage it back in, but if it keeps popping out it probably must be operated.

Jenni

Jul 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey and Ruger
I'm so sorry, but yes it is cherry eye! My boy has is at 16 weeks he also had no drainage, puss or anything. I have a consertive vet( he raised bulldogs moons ago) he explained once the duct swells and goes over lid, rarely goes/stays back, so surgery he went! Urgh! No fun! I would ask your vet to measure chancho soft palate ( something my vet does routinely on short shouts kids) good luck!

Jenni

Jul 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey and Ruger
Also, NEVER try to 'pop' back! The tear duct dogs have 3 in one eye is not suppose to be that big, due to the saggy eyelids that somehow become clogged. You in fact could cause more damage ie scratch cornea or worse, unfortunatly our bullies are prone to cherry eye! Btw ruger hasn't had any more eye issues!

OP
pinkerbell81

pinkerbell81

Jul 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA (Norcal)
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho
Thanks guys! So it has popped back in and stayed in all day today :) I took him in yesterday for his vaccines and our vet prescribed some eye drops. I got the surgery info and will likely go that route if it gets out of control. I called the surgeon after work today so now I wait until I hear back from them. I'm just glad its not life threatening!!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
You can try to massage it as I did with Brutus but you ahve to be very careful when doing it...The vet will also try to massage it back in to prevent having surgery...brutus popped out 2 x both eyes and its been several months and hasnt returned...He is already 14 mnths and hasnt happend since about 8 mnths...THere are lots of posts about it so you can search the site for ways to treat it...Here is a great article on cherry eye...

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=398-Cherry-eye-what-is-it-and-how-to-treat-it

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
YEAH!! Good news..... prayers and hougs it stays that way!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.