Help Needed! Difference between Hot Spots and Bug Bites???

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
Hi All,

I was wiping down JJ last night and noticed a hard lump on the middle of his back. The lump was oval in shape and about the size of a bottle top. It also looked like it had some dried up puss on it. On closer inspection, the lump was pink/red in colour. My initial reaction was that it is a bug bite because i get the same reaction when i get a mosquito bite but from reading the other posts on this forum i am not too sure and thinking that it could be hotspot??

Can anyone help to tell me how i can tell if it is a bug bite or hotspot or something else?

Thanks

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Any chance you could post a picture of it?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Jenni

Jul 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey and Ruger
Can they get hotspot if rarely outside, especially when it's 115? my boy, ruger has little bumps on him also can't figure it out!

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
Any chance you could post a picture of it?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Here is a pic of it. I hope you can see it clear enough. I have noticed that it is starting to smell. I appreciate any help on diagnosing it and suggestions on how best to treat.

Thanks so much!
JJ HotSpot.jpg

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Here is a pic of it. I hope you can see it clear enough. I have noticed that it is starting to smell. I appreciate any help on diagnosing it and suggestions on how best to treat.

Thanks so much!
View attachment 25765

That does look like a hot spot...You said also there are bumps on him that could be hives... I would shave the hair off the area where the spot it and clean it well and dry very good...It needs air so it can dry out...Has there been any change his diet any new food or anything new! It is allergy related and could be enviromental(household) or food related....I will tag some others also [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
That does look like a hot spot...You said also there are bumps on him that could be hives... I would shave the hair off the area where the spot it and clean it well and dry very good...It needs air so it can dry out...Has there been any change his diet any new food or anything new! It is allergy related and could be enviromental(household) or food related....I will tag some others also @2BullyMama @JAKEISGREAT @cowsmom

Thanks All for the great advice. It is currently only one lump and last night i washed it using listerine and dried out the lump which had a foul yellow puss using cotton pads and then applied some anti-septic cream. It does not seem to be causing him too much discomfort and it is on his back so he cant scratch it.

I did put in a new sleeping blanket for him the last few days (which i have now removed) but the food and treats have been the same so i am unsure what had caused this.

When i looked at it this morning there seems to be a hard dark scab that is beginning to form over the area. How would i know if it is getting better?

Thanks again to All!!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
If it doesnt get any better within a couple days maybe have the vet do a skin scrape to rule any bacteria out. Hopefully shaving and using the listerine to dry out it will help :) Here if you need anything :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When i looked at it this morning there seems to be a hard dark scab that is beginning to form over the area. How would i know if it is getting better?

this is a sign it is getting better... keep it shaved and clean a couple times a day with the Listerine,,,, dry and clean is key. also, these are normally a result of a weaken immune system triggered by allergies... ask your vet to do a full blood screen allergy test, it gives you a good list to avoid.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
this is a sign it is getting better... keep it shaved and clean a couple times a day with the Listerine,,,, dry and clean is key. also, these are normally a result of a weaken immune system triggered by allergies... ask your vet to do a full blood screen allergy test, it gives you a good list to avoid.

Hi All,

Just to say thanks for all the comments and to give an update. We shaved the area of the wound and have been drying and washing the wound. Below is a pic of what JJ wound looks like now after couple of days. It is all scabbed now but my question is do i still have to continue to dry and clean the wound when it is scabbed or should i just now let it heal??
HotSpot 001.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi All,

Just to say thanks for all the comments and to give an update. We shaved the area of the wound and have been drying and washing the wound. Below is a pic of what JJ wound looks like now after couple of days. It is all scabbed now but my question is do i still have to continue to dry and clean the wound when it is scabbed or should i just now let it heal??
View attachment 25873

I would still clean it at least once a day... you want it to stay clean and dry.... it will continue to heal faster if done so. good luck

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Late to this ... but so glad you got the help you needed!! :2thumbs:

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
Late to this ... but so glad you got the help you needed!! :2thumbs:

Dear All,

Just a final update. JJ's wound seems to be healing up. Although it is not 100% i think it will be in couple of days. Here is a picture of the wound now. Thanks to all the help and advice from everyone!!

HotSpot 002.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online