General Question Seasonal allergies and hair loss???

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Has anyone had experience with hair loss?
I noticed last week that Lily had a small bald spot on her lower back.
And the hair just above her tail seems to be thinning.
I took her to the vet and he said it looks like its seasonal allergies.
I thought it might be food allergy related but he said he didn’t think so.
She is not scratching or rubbing herself on the floor.
Nor is she licking or biting her paws.
He gave us some meds just in case it was fungal or a bacterial infection.
She has been on the meds for 6 days now but her hair is still shedding like crazy.
And the bald spot has gotten a bit larger now.
Does this seem like seasonal allergies to you guys?
And input on what to do would be great! Thanks!

412038796@photo_JPG_photo.jpg

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am NOT a vet...but it sort of looks like seasonal flank alopecia. Not too much you can do about that. I would go ahead with the treatment the vet recommended though, just in case. Did he do a scrape for mites? That can present as just a balding spot that gets larger as well. It doesn't look like a food allergy to me (though I could be wrong). Most of the time when I have seen that, it presents as a sore spot or the skin or is itchy or inflamed in some way. That just looks like the hair is falling out. Especially if she isn't itching or anything.

I hope that made sense! lol

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
I am NOT a vet...but it sort of looks like seasonal flank alopecia. Not too much you can do about that. I would go ahead with the treatment the vet recommended though, just in case. Did he do a scrape for mites? That can present as just a balding spot that gets larger as well. It doesn't look like a food allergy to me (though I could be wrong). Most of the time when I have seen that, it presents as a sore spot or the skin or is itchy or inflamed in some way. That just looks like the hair is falling out. Especially if she isn't itching or anything.

I hope that made sense! lol

Thanks! It does make sense. He did not scrape for mites. As soon as he saw it he said oh this is seasonal.
Thanks for the info.
The vet we saw was not our regular vet so I just wanted to see what you guys thought!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I agree it does look like seasonal flank alopecia...I know [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] can give some good advice on this. I would have the vet do a scraping if possible just to rule anything else out.

:hug: to you both

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Melatonin helps if it's seasonal flank alopecia which is what it looks like :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

kymmiko

Apr 5, 2012
Blue Ridge GA & Raleigh NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Tilly
Tilly also has a bald spot between her shoulders, it's nearly the size of my palm! She's at the vet right now so when I pick her up I'm going to ask about it.

Melatonin huh? As if Tilly already doesn't sleep all day! :tongue:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Flank Alopecia is usually on the Flanks (Sides... like on the ribcages)

Here is Gizmo's pictures for you to compare - there is one area on her butt, however that was post surgery, that just never grew back in (probably due to the Alopecia)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rettinger

I hope that helps - almost any picture you see of Gizmo you'll see her Alopecia

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
My Emma used to get these, but hardly ever now. July & aug were the worst for us. (2) things made a difference. The biggest difference, was putting her on raw food, getting off the commerical dog food. Second, is I keep an eye on her during the months of July-sept. When I see any thinning at all, or any little bumps, (hers look like pimples) I rub perioxide on the area once a day. then once at day I rub in vitamin E oil. Just not at same time. perioxide seems to kill the cooties and vitamin e stimulates hair growth. The key is to catch it before it gets to the bald spot, will clear up really quick with no hair loss. but it you do lose the hair, perioxide for about a week, and keep with vitamin e until hair is back thick. Dont stop the E oil just because it starts growing back, keep putting on until spot is covered. This has never failed with Emma.
First year I had her, thin hair everywhere. Pu her on raw food diet, second year, only 7-8 pimples, lost hair in only 2 spots, and this year, slight thin area on back, did my treatment, no one even noticed any thinning. hair is back completely. Good Luck

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
My Emma used to get these, but hardly ever now. July & aug were the worst for us. (2) things made a difference. The biggest difference, was putting her on raw food, getting off the commerical dog food. Second, is I keep an eye on her during the months of July-sept. When I see any thinning at all, or any little bumps, (hers look like pimples) I rub perioxide on the area once a day. then once at day I rub in vitamin E oil. Just not at same time. perioxide seems to kill the cooties and vitamin e stimulates hair growth. The key is to catch it before it gets to the bald spot, will clear up really quick with no hair loss. but it you do lose the hair, perioxide for about a week, and keep with vitamin e until hair is back thick. Dont stop the E oil just because it starts growing back, keep putting on until spot is covered. This has never failed with Emma.
First year I had her, thin hair everywhere. Pu her on raw food diet, second year, only 7-8 pimples, lost hair in only 2 spots, and this year, slight thin area on back, did my treatment, no one even noticed any thinning. hair is back completely. Good Luck

Thanks for the info Pamela.
I will try that. This is all new to me. Lily is my first bully!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online