Help Needed! Post Neutering Question - HELP

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Hi Everyone -

Bacon seems to be recuperating quite well from surgery yesterday - enough so that he is getting very energetic.
Instructions from the vet are to keep him calm, no stairs, and limited/mild exercise for at least two weeks.
We're having difficulty keeping him from wanting to play, run around, and jumping on furniture.
I was wondering what other folks' experience has been. And any suggestions/thoughts they may have.

Thanks you everyone - you're the best, as always!

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
Jack was the same way when we had him neutered last month. It was impossible to keep him quiet. They sent some pain meds home with us and when we would give him that he would get sleepy. He healed just fine.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
We crated him most of the time and if he wasnt crated I blocked off an area of the kitchen where he had nothing to jump on .... It was hard for us and Im sure him :( Good Luck

OP
thesspa

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We have four days worth of pain meds, which I am giving him during meal times - morning and night.
And of course I'm glad he's feeling better, I'm just afraid of him popping his stitches.

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
Ahhhh. Ok. Jack didn't have stitches they used some kind of glue. The Vet said we didn't have to worry about the incision splitting open, but swelling and problems from that

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It's hard keeping them quiet and they don't understand why either. But crate time and maybe keep him on a leash or as [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] said block off an area like the kitchen.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Remy didn't get sent home with pain meds after being neutered and having a urethral prolapse fixed. I just crated him most of the time and stopped him from jumping on the furniture or my bed. I did let him run around with the other boys for a little bit, but after about 5 days, all the vets rules went out the window. There was just no keeping him down and both of incisions looked excellent.

OP
thesspa

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Remy didn't get sent home with pain meds after being neutered and having a urethral prolapse fixed. I just crated him most of the time and stopped him from jumping on the furniture or my bed. I did let him run around with the other boys for a little bit, but after about 5 days, all the vets rules went out the window. There was just no keeping him down and both of incisions looked excellent.

thank you - thats one of the things I was wondering too

has anyone else shortened the vet-recommended timeframe?

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank was neutered in May @ 6 months. The vet did internal stitches since I requested him not to have a cone and said he should take it easy for 4-5 days. He did great and after the first 2 days he seemed back to his usual playful self. We did try to keep him calmer but after 3-4 days he was completely back to normal. 2 weeks is just not possible or necessary as long as there is not infection and all is healing well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Bob was just neutered Wednesday and had internal stitches..they didn't even send home pain meds for him :( After the 1st day he was fine. We "try" to keep him from jumping and running, but at 6 months old it's practically impossible.There is no swelling and it's healing great! I try to keep him in bones because he'll lay for hours and just chew on them. You might want to try something like that to keep him calm and from running around like a nut like they like to do as puppies.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Thanks everyone, Bacon has been enjoying a plethora of different chew things to keep him calm and it seemed to work pretty well yesterday. He will be back to his weekday routine of sleeping all day starting today so we should be good to go.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online