Help Needed! Tail infection

Hesham Alsaad

Jan 15, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Cognac
Hello all,

My bulldog is having a skin infection, took her to the vet and he prescribed me antibiotics which i got for the dog. Also, she have been sliding on her tail and rounding into circles for like a long time, while i was at the vet i told him about it and he told me the anal gland had to be expressed. A few days later, i started smelling a really weird and stinky smell next to her tail so i was cleaning it and when i left the tail up there was like a moisty red/yellow infected area under the tail just above the anal that smells really bad. Cognac just started on the antibiotic and I'm sure it will help let it disappear but the thing is its under her tail and it smells bad and also I'm pretty sure it annoys the dog, since she's on medication now, is there anything i can put on that area beside cleaning it? like powder or something?

Thanks

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if it were me i would probably put some peroxide on it and follow with some neosporin mixed with hydrocortisone cream for itching. you could sprinkle some powder on there if you wanted since its under the tail. i hope he gets better. :(

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You also need to clean it well, if it wasn't so infected, you could use witch hazel on it, but since it's so infected I would put some hydrogen peroxide on a towelette and clean it the best you can then put neosporin on it. If your vet did not see this I would find a good bully vet. Not every vet is good with bullies. After the infection goes away, you need to keep the tail pocket clean and dry.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: franklin just got over a yeast infection on his tail it stank so bad it was red moist gross an I use apple cider vinegar an in 4 or 5 days it was gone. I put it in a spray bottle 50/50 ACV-water.

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
I second the peroxide. This cleared Zoey up in no time at all. She was a mess when I got her. The pros on this board are just awesome!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I agree with the peroxide and keeping it clean and dry. It probably is uncomfortable and may even hurt her some :( Im shocked the vet didnt notice when they expressed her! Well hopefully it heals up quick :)

shawna

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Basil
Basil had an infection in his tail pocket when he was a pup. Like Cognac, he was put on an antibiotic, and it cleared up. It absolutely stunk when he had it! Anyway, his tail pocket is very tight. I use baby wipes to clean it out- I just put it over my finger, and wipe it out. It's amazing how far my finger can go into the tail pocket- there is always alot of dead fur that comes out. Then I put baby cream (Desitin) on it to keep it from getting irritated. I do now wipe in there with a wash cloth, as this seems to irritate the area. So far his tail has stayed healthy!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My first bullie - and Bo - both experience dryness in that little area between the bum and the tail. As an uneducated bullie owner, poor Mable's got so bad that it cracked and bled! (Ignorance is NOT bliss) I learned right away that this requires a bit of on-going maintenance - just like you would anyway with a pup with a deep tail pocket (like Bea has).

For the "taint" (I call it -because it ain't butthole and it ain't tail) I clean the area well using a variety of things, alternating. A hypoallergenic baby wipe (Huggies Aloe and Cucumber One and Done wipes are amazing) or a warm wash cloth, or a warm washcloth with a teeny anti-bacterial, anti-fungal dog shampoo - rinse) and then I apply a hydro-cortisone cream to help with the dryness and itching and promote healing. Bo does just as Mable did; when I say "Let's get your medicine", he follows me into the laundry room and turns around and points his butt toward me. I'm sure it must feel so much better after it's clean and creamed.

Bo's has never gotten as bad as Mable's did that one time - but if it did, I'd do the aforementioned and then put Neosporin on there until it healed a bit then apply the hydro-cortisone cream.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Your rec'd great advice.... follow this and the tail will clear up and stay that way

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.