General Question wormer

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have a question, Lola was given heart guard plus at 6 weeks then the vet gave me another pill to give her 14 days later, so yesterday I was at the vet and they gave me another pill but didnt tell me when to give it to her am I supposed to give it to her 14 days after the second dose or will that be dangerous? Also what are some of the once a month type wormers every one uses? Thanks!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Oh and she did have worms at 6 weeks but none at 8 weeks.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Heartguard is to protect from heartworm. If the puppy has worms they need a dewormer. It's given 1 pill then 2 weeks another. But that heartguard is only given 1 x a mnth. Did u get the pup before 8 weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so that explains my grammar :)

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I will tag some others who can help
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
yes I got her at 6 weeks and she was wormed 6 days before I got her. Thanks!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes i believe we have another here who is worming her pup and i believe she said they wormed him then she would do it again in 2 weeks. heartworm meds are once a month and the dog is supposed to be tested first before starting treatment for that so [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] seems right on with this.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think I will go to the feed store here and see what they carry. I wont go back out of town to the vet tell the 31st.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
The vet should give you the dewormer. I wouldn't trust pet store meds for worms. It's 2 pills that you need. Her poo should also be tested to make sure they are gone after treatment. Do you know what type of worms?

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
She had round worms. They said this last visit she didnt have any and when I looked up heart guard it says it kills round worms?

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I just called the vet and thank god they are open 7 days a week! I asked about the heart guard plus they gave me and she said because she did have round worms they gave her the first dose two weeks later they told me to give her the second now this will be the third dose and they told me to give it to her 14 days from the last worming and then after this time it will be once a month with heart guard plus. I hope this is right but she also did tell me that at every puppy visit they give them liquid wormer to so I would say she should be all clear!

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
The heartguard isnt given to kill the round worms it's to prevent heartworm. Once they have worms they need a different de wormer. Heartguard shouldn't be given more than once a month. She needs to have her poo checked again once she is done with the wormer meds. The vet shouldn't give liquid wormer on visits unless they have worms.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I will have the vet check next time we go on the 31st. I hope she will be all clear!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
The heartguard isnt given to kill the round worms it's to prevent heartworm. Once they have worms they need a different de wormer. Heartguard shouldn't be given more than once a month. She needs to have her poo checked again once she is done with the wormer meds. The vet shouldn't give liquid wormer on visits unless they have worms.

@ChaneInBrutus...[MENTION=5264]sweetpeasmom2008[/MENTION]

Concerning Heartguard PLUS, it does prevent and/or kills roundworms, hookworms & heartworms.

Regular Heartguard only prevents and/or kills heartworms. Have a blessed Sunday!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Okay so reading this twice because I was getting confused, but I think I got it now.

Heartworm is once a month. That was covered. Kinda surprised they had you give another 14 days later actually.

Worms... Also a bit surprised that if she had worms at 6 weeks that they did not follow up 2-3 weeks later. Unless the worms were young and not mature enough to produce eggs... Which means that she was wormed prior to you getting her probably two weeks before. Did they clear her for eggs too or just worms?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online