Help Needed! Swollen lower eyelid

darmane

Apr 5, 2012
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
vegas
Hello. My 7 months old bulldog has developed a swollen lower eyelid. It seemed bigger than usual last night. Now that I just got home from work today, I noticed it's gotten bigger and pussing a little. He's not scratching at it, and doesn't seem to have any other simptoms. We have some Benadryl, so should I try giving him that to see if the swelling goes down? He has been outside more than usual in the last few days with the cooler weather so I think it might be a bug bite, although I'm not sure. Any suggestions? thanks in advance

update: it might be cherry eye. How serious is that ?

Last edited:

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
I would take your baby to the vet. Pus means infection. It's always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to their eyes. Cherry eye is also something that should be treated by a vet. Good luck and hope your baby feels better!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
:welcome: [MENTION=4637]darmane[/MENTION] Could you post a picture so that we can see if it is cherry eye or not??

As for the pus ... well if it is infected then you are going to need to see a vet. In the meantime IF it is cherry eye you can use human eye drops for dry eyes that you get over the counter.

BUT ... if you could show us then it would be easier to tell or not.... :yes:

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Could be a bug bite, a scratch or clogged tear duct. You could apply a warm compress for a clogged duct.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
picture, please?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if my dog had puss coming out of her eye and it was swollen i would see the vet. cherry eye can sometimes be massaged back in as some people here have googled it and done it. keep us updated

OP
darmane

darmane

Apr 5, 2012
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
vegas
Hey everyone. It was cherry eye. We had to have surgery and Vegas is going well.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hey everyone. It was cherry eye. We had to have surgery and Vegas is going well.

I'm glad he's doing well .. our foster bully has cherry eye too and will need surgery!! :*(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online