RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My english is not good enough so I have quote here...

"Hyperuricosuria means elevated levels of uric acid in the urine. This trait predisposes dogs to form stones in their bladders or sometimes kidneys. These stones often must be removed surgically and can be difficult to treat. Hyperuricosuria is inherited as a simple autosomal recessive trait. The trait can occur in any breed but is most commonly found in the Dalmatian, Bulldog and Black Russian Terrier. Dalmatians are considered to be homozygous for hyperuricosuria. A DNA test for this specific mutation can determine if dogs are normal or if they carry one or two copies of the mutation. Dogs that carry two copies of the mutation will be affected and susceptible to develop bladder/kidney stones."

So this is what my Usko has, a defected gene, that together with UTI caused his bladder stones last year. Until lately, in Finland no bullies have been tested for the "HUU gene" and we have no idea how many dogs are affected by it. Bullies have been used in breeding without knowing their status. Luckily now, I'm sure most reputable breeders are going to get their dogs tested. I know Usko's breeder is.
Even most vets here are totally clueless about it and the treatment they are offering for it is also inadequate and in most cases doesn't even work....Hill's or RC prescription kibble.
How many of you have heard about it?

402625_10151129418575597_1300050036_n.jpg

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
This is interesting....but I am so sorry Usko is subject to dealing with it.

I also wish that someone -- the USDA? Who knows... -- required licenses for all animal breeding so testing like this could be confirmed. I am convinced (and have proof) that my Mable's heart failure was a genetic issue and that heartbreak of losing a dog to a genetic heart defect could have been avoided for many.

Now that you know what it is....what can you do about it other than diet?

[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] - I bet you have some ideas, huh?

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
This is interesting....but I am so sorry Usko is subject to dealing with it.

I also wish that someone -- the USDA? Who knows... -- required licenses for all animal breeding so testing like this could be confirmed. I am convinced (and have proof) that my Mable's heart failure was a genetic issue and that heartbreak of losing a dog to a genetic heart defect could have been avoided for many.

Now that you know what it is....what can you do about it other than diet?

@Twice - I bet you have some ideas, huh?

I think that's the beauty of it. Only the right kind of diet with the right kind of supplements is needed. I just quit giving him Allonol (again against our vets recommendation) and he is still clear, has no crystals and urine pH is perfect at 7,5. The stones can be avoided even if the dog is affected, but you just have to know about it.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Thanx for the info.... I hope Usko remains stone free.

L

Lucy-licious

Now I know what it means....a growing number of breeders are stating if there dogs have been HCC screened. Thanks for that @RiiSi x

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
They should be screening for a lot of genetic disorders but most don't. I'm super glad Usko is holding his own right now.

I wonder if Renadyl would help fight the stones from forming? It's a probiotic that feeds off the creatinine, urea and uric acid in the bloodstream so it never reaches the kidneys to cause problems. Abby has been taking it for months.

I was just reading about hyperuricosuria on whole dog journal. One suggestion is feeding a vegetarian diet since meat is so high in purines. Hot stuff! More sweet potatoes!

The raw meaty bones Dr. Billinghurst recommends are chicken necks, chicken backs, chicken wings, and turkey necks. “Use plenty of puréed or pulped vegetables,” he says, “including lots of leafy greens. The diet could also include eggs, cottage or ricotta cheese, yogurt, and olive or flaxseed oil, supplemented with vitamin B complex, vitamin E, kelp, and a teaspoon of cod liver oil several times a week.” Cod liver oil is important for urate-forming dogs fed a homemade diet that does not include liver.

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so happy too. I really consider him healthy now. He doesn't need any medication, but I have to check out that Renadyl. I personally don't believe in vegetarian diet for dogs.

“The signs produced by protein deficiency or an improper protein-to-calorie ratio may include any or all of the following: weight loss, skeletal muscle atrophy, dull unkempt coat, anorexia, reproductive problems, persistent unresponsive parasitism or low-grade microbial infection, impaired protection via vaccination, rapid weight loss after injury or during disease, and failure to respond properly to treatment of injury or disease.

Ultra-low-protein diets have been linked to dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in English Bulldogs, Dalmatians, and other breeds. Dogs with cystinuria, which predisposes dogs to carnitine deficiency even when a normal-protein diet is fed, are particularly at risk."

Usko doesn't even eat any veggies and I can't really force feed them to him:nope:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have never heard of this before .... interesting to read it!! I wonder how many dogs there are who have the gene and could avoid the pain and discomfort from following a proper diet. Not that this would be the owners fault of course, I mean, how can you feed your bully the right things if you don't know he has the gene!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Never heard of it... but it is what my sister Pug suffers with and he is on the RC prescription, which i have been meaning to ask this community -- what could she give him other than that RC crap? she has 4 children so $$$$ is VERY tight.

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] in the website dogaware there is lot of good suggestions for home made diets for this condition. I my self feed raw, but if that's too much there are good alternatives.

[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] I just contacted Kibowbiotech asking if Renadyl could be beneficial for Usko. Can't wait for them to get back to me. Them of course hopefully they ship to Finland...

Finlands Englishbulldog Club asked me to write an article of Usko and how this is affecting his and our lives to the next issue of their magazine. So exciting:jumpdance: We get to increase the knowledge of this to a lot of bullie owners in my country!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
@Twice I just contacted Kibowbiotech asking if Renadyl could be beneficial for Usko. Can't wait for them to get back to me. Them of course hopefully they ship to Finland...

It would be great if it could help him. Please let me know what they say. Abby has been taking the stuff for months and I'm sure that's part of what is keeping her alive. I get mine through ThrivingPets. If Chris won't ship to Finland, maybe I can place the order and send it to you myself. Renadyl is shelf stable at 100 degrees for up to 14 days so you don't have to worry about cold packs and whatnot.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
That is VERY interesting. I think it is great that they can do genetic testing for that before breeding. There are lots of things I wish they would test for....

[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION], that is VERY exciting!!! Be sure you post it for us after it is published. I would love to read it.

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] there are only a few tests done for bullies, but this is one of them luckily. We have no labs in Finland that do this so we have to send the samples abroad. We're actually using a lab in Michigan. It's called Vetgen. They also test bullies for Canine multifocal retinopathy, all the other tests are for colour, pure breed etc.

[h=2][/h]

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] , this is what I love about this site, that people are so committed to their babies that they understand each others worry, pain, needs and want to help others with their babies too. I'm a softy and in tears here right now. I'll let you know when I get their answer.

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] no word yet. Do you know anybody else than Kibowtech that would know? I just hate it when people/businesses don't bother to answer their emails.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.