General Question Will my bulldog fill out?

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
Dear All,

I have just found this site and think that it is great and hope to get some good advice and share information with you all.

I have a english bulldog called JJ which is 4months old now. He is fit and healthy and is adorable and my girlfriend and i love him to bits. We were told that he is a purebreed and we have see his dad who is very handsome (see pic). However, i was expecting JJ to start filling out and gain more mass but just a little worried that he is too thin? The breeder did say that JJ has much longer legs than his dad so he will not look as stocky. Can anyone let me know when we should expect him to fill-out?

JJ 4months.jpgSoldier.jpg

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Your baby is so young and bullies mature late. You can expect to see him filling out around 18-24 months and if he is the slowly growing type, even after. It's better to keep him thin when he is growing so his bones can grow. If he grows too quickly it can mean trouble later. Enjoy him beeing a pup. It won't last long.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
Your baby is so young and bullies mature late. You can expect to see him filling out around 18-24 months and if he is the slowly growing type, even after. It's better to keep him thin when he is growing so his bones can grow. If he grows too quickly it can mean trouble later. Enjoy him beeing a pup. It won't last long.

Thanks for the information and responses. We are enjoying him being a pup and look forward to spending time with him everyday. I guess the important thing is he is fit and healthy :)

BullDogGunner

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
Jeffrey, my bulldog Gunner seems to be on the thinner side not as broad as his dad. I joke all the time that I have a miniature bulldog. As it was stated previously, it's better to slowly develop than to pack it all on at once. Let's their bones set and not have addition issues caused by weight. He will grow, I am sure. Best of luck!

cslafferty

Jan 17, 2011
Linden, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola (1/31/11) & Chief (9/18/00-12/30/10)
Our first bulldog, Chief, was all brindle with some white around his neck - alot like your JJ. We always noticed that Chief was "thinner" than the typical bulldog, although the vet would always comment about how healthy he was. He, too, was a registered AKC purebred. He had longer legs, and could jump like a crazy! We once draped his favorite rope toy on top of our bedroom door, and he jumped and got it!! He always reminded me of the cartoon bulldogs - massive head and chest, but tiny butt! We also noticed that when we saw pictures of other bulldogs, it always seemed that the all brindle ones were a little on the longer and leaner and didn't seem to have as many rolls as the all white or fawn colored ones. But, we LOVED our Chief, and he lived to be 10, which is longer than the avg. bulldog lifespan.

Our current baby is Lola, a fawn and white bully who is 18 mo. old. She is much rounder, with shorter legs and more rolls, but weighs less than Chief did at her age! And, I've nicknamed her "Lead-bottom" because she hates to even jump up into our bed!! She is the spitting image of her dad, but her mom was brindle, and built like our Chief!! I don't know if there's something different about the brindle bullies or not - just my observations. Enjoy your baby!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN..... bullies grow UP in the first year and OUT in the second.... so nothing to worry about. Thanx for joining... MORE PIX!!!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He's adorable and won't start getting broader until after 6 months, at five months you will question whether you have a bully or a boxer! Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have said.... 2 years before you see all bully

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
JJ looks pretty good at 4 months old! I swear my Bob is a boxer like [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] said... he's 6 months old. He's very long in the legs and body so I think he'll always be a little thinner than Belly.

005-5.jpg

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
We also have a brindle and white and a fawn and white like cslafferty said our brindle is built different than our other bulldog. He has much longer legs and a leaner build all around. That is an interesting thought that ALL brindles have a leaner build. Ours has just hit 6 months and he is really putting on the weight now! growing so fast so don't worry he will get there.IMG_5685.jpg

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I question the same thing because my Lola doesnt have a big block head like some I have seen her face is thin and little but I think with time they all fill out as long as they are pure bred!

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
JJ looks pretty good at 4 months old! I swear my Bob is a boxer like @desertskybulldogs said... he's 6 months old. He's very long in the legs and body so I think he'll always be a little thinner than Belly.

005-5.jpg

Haha....i have been asking myself the same question too. Wondering if i JJ is actually a bulldog boxer mix!!

Thanks to everyonbe for the comments and information. It has really helped explained a lot and put my mind at ease. JJ eats healthly but seems to be putting the weight to his belly! It was kinda embarassing when i took him for a walk the other day and someone asked if 'He' was pregnant!! :(

Here is a pic of him having a nap after dinner.
Jeffrey 154.jpg

Miasmomma

Jul 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
So you are telling me there is hope... Mia has filled out quite nicely but her poor head is still so tiny. People call her moose bc of her long snout LOL

Attachments

• mia 001.jpg
    mia 001.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 655

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.