Help Needed! Scratching and scratching and some more scratching

SarahMarie82

Aug 2, 2012
West Haven, CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Jelly Belly AKA Belly, JB, Pig and Rocco
Hey everyone,

Rocco has been scratching and rubbing himself along any hard surface he comes across. He has no fleas, no rashes, no marks whatsoever on him. He's all white so everything shows through. Time to get his little butt to the vet. Anyone else have anything like this happen?

Oh and also, how do I get him to stop licking his legs? Again no rashes or irritations. His front legs are turning that ugly red/brown color. The shampoo for white dogs doesn't seem to help either. Now what ?

SENSEI

Aug 4, 2012
Coachella Valley, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella & Tyke the Frenchie
Bella was scratching like crazy. First we tried shampoo with oatmeal, no change. Next we tried an anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, that resolved the issues! Even made our frenchie's coat softer!

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
Pan use to rub against the coffee table, sofa, love seat, just about anything stationary. When we scratched his back half he did the foot thumping thing. He was also constantly licking his paws... turned out to be allergies, and yeast because of the food I was giving him. We've switched his food and he has completely stopped doing it. No more eye goobers either.

We fed Pan Puppy chow until he was a year old, and he seemed fine on it, no issues. When he was a year old we switched to Dog Chow, no issues for about a year, then one day he had a bad case of the itchies, eye goobers non stop, and yeast infections in his ears and paws. Vet visit after vet visit just to get rid of them, but they kept coming back. I felt so bad, here to find out, it was his food, which I thought was a decent food! So now we feed him Taste of the Wild, but a lot of people feed Fromm.

I noticed that you are feeding Beneful, which is only rated with one star. I have included a link to some info on food ratings. I think the recommendations for bullies is at least a four. I know that the higher ranked food is more expensive, but with what we were constantly paying for vet visits and meds, and pure aggravation, it was totally worth the upgrade.

Remember if you change food, a gradual change is recommended as to not disrupt their digestive system.
Hope your baby starts feeling better soon. I'm sure others will be along soon to post their opinions too!

Here's that link: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Sounds like allergies (itching) and yeast (red color fur) to me.

We have experts here on those topics and they'll be along soon. The battle of the itch is a familiar one around here and with some diligence, you can resolve it.

Right now, Bea is suddenly having itchy issues --- and I know what her problem is -- at least I think I do. Just when you think it's "fixed", it's not. ha ha Cut grass is Bea and Bo's itchy nemesis and lately, the groundskeepers here in the complex have been trimming like crazy. It looks great but we have to celebrate our walks when we get home with a nice Benedryl......

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=5603]SarahMarie82[/MENTION] You've gotten awesome advice!! I would definitely think about switching food

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hey there :welcome:

I would try switching food first and get some antibacterial antifungal shampoo from the vet like Pharmeseb or similar. Also benedryl 1mg per pound, not the kind with aspirin-- just plain benedryl.

Beneful is one of the worst dog foods out there. Don't fret... I used to feed Iams but I had no idea I was feeding junk either. Keep us posted!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
SarahMarie82

SarahMarie82

Aug 2, 2012
West Haven, CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Jelly Belly AKA Belly, JB, Pig and Rocco
Awesome, thanks everyone ! My vet called me back and spent almost 20 min talking with me about allergies......Rocco has been sneezing alot lately, which i called them about last week as well. She suggested for this weekend to start him off on benadryl, if it doesn't help then they will prescribe him something stronger.

I will deffinately look into the anti fungual anti bacterial shampoo, is there any particular brands that anyone would recomend?

Its just been so long since I've dealt with any type of allergy problems, I guess I was just hoping that all would be well with Rocco. Belly went through a little patch a few years ago with blisters between her toes, that was pretty rough.

Thanks again everyone,

I appreciate the responses !

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm an ex-Beneful feeder too!! It was such a shock to find out that I had been feeding my baby utter crap!! We spent so much time and money at the vet for all kinds of small issues. Since we discovered how bad the food it's been great.

I'd go with what your vet has told you, and start on the Benadryl but you might also want to start considering a change of food too. Start to research and decide what you like the sound of. If you float around this site long enough you'll find that a lot of us have discovered that food choice is the biggest and most important decision when it comes to our bullys!!! :up:

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
Awesome, thanks everyone ! My vet called me back and spent almost 20 min talking with me about allergies......Rocco has been sneezing alot lately, which i called them about last week as well. She suggested for this weekend to start him off on benadryl, if it doesn't help then they will prescribe him something stronger.

I will deffinately look into the anti fungual anti bacterial shampoo, is there any particular brands that anyone would recomend?

Its just been so long since I've dealt with any type of allergy problems, I guess I was just hoping that all would be well with Rocco. Belly went through a little patch a few years ago with blisters between her toes, that was pretty rough.

Thanks again everyone,

I would suggest Malaseb shampoo. Jackson gets itchy from allergies (outside) also and this shampoo has worked wonders. We wet him, rub the malaseb on and let it sit for 5 minutes, then wash him with oatmeal shampoo (from Petsmart). We have noticed a big difference in his skin since using these two shampoos together.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You have rec'd all the best advice... a great shampoo and change the food.

Best of luck and hope he feels better soon

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow

Thanks again everyone,

i use malaket and you can order it from amazon or i get mine at entirelypets.com. i also use something called chloraseb. i used to use an oatmeal shampoo on sarah to but had to switch as she is allergic to oats but its good for bullies skin usually. have you considered an allergy test to determine what is causing the allergy. can be helpful in eliminating the problem. also lots here give a probiotic or yogurt to boost the immune system. the best defense really is the immune system and a good food can do that. i can help you find one if you so choose or you can poke around the nutrition section for one if you choose to change. good luck. :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.