Other SEIZURE =(

elyrig

Feb 16, 2012
SO-CAL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus and Eddie
This morning as I was letting Angus out of hi kennel where he sleeps he was making a weird noise kind of like he was having trouble breading. At first I thought oh no he's going to throw up, he didn't.He also had gone potty in his kennel, which he never does. So I took him out for his morning walk, he was walking very slow and at some points it seem like he wasn't balanced. The all of a sudden his right leg started to twitch. After that he just seemed a little out of it. I took him back inside and he ate and drank water as usual. So wee took him to the vet and he said that all symptoms pointed to a SEIZURE!!! I feel so bad for him. I took him to work with me to keep an eye on him and he seems to be back to normal. I hope is the first and the last time he gets one.

Attachments

• IMG_20120718_113505.jpg
    IMG_20120718_113505.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 114

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
OH no, sorry to hear that, let me tag a member here that is a seizure expert so she can give you some advise. [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I was going to tag her too. She can give you tons and advice and info.

I am so very sorry this has happened! It is so hard when something goes wrong. So heartbreaking when you are not sure what to do next. Please keep us posted. Our prayers and thoughts are with you and Angus. I hope this is an isolated incident.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes it is quite possible that is what it was, Cheryl will know. Poor baby :(

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

L

Lucy-licious

Aww :hug: It must be very scary. Cheryl's beautiful boy Vegas has epilepsy so you will get some advise very soon :hug:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Hmmmm. When you say potty...do you mean poo? It's very common during seizures for them to loose bowel control.
Pardon me for asking such questions..but I'm going off of some of my experiences. Is it possible that he got too warm last night? For me, that would explain the difficulty breathing.

Usually for us, after a seizure....Vegas paces. Usually very disoriented both before and after a seizure. Walking into walls and furniture like he doesn't see them. Keep in mind, Vegas usually experiences grand mal seizures...there are different types of seizures. Vegas's grand mal may look different than another k9s grand mal.

My advice.....keep a camera charged and ready at all times. If he does anything that seems out of the ordinary..video it. Also, find a baby monitor to set up next to his kennel at night. If he wakes up and starts making sounds...hopefully you will hear it.

The dr said all the signs point to a seizure, but I would want to know why it happened. Not always is it idiopathic epilepsy.
Some causes of seizures in pets are:
1. Brain tumor, Head injury
2. Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
3. Distemper
4. Environment - toxins
5. Epilepsy
6. 'hyper' and 'hypo' Conditions
Hyperglycemia
Hypoglycemia
Hypoxia or Hypoxemia
Hepatic Encephalopathy or Liver Disease
Renal (kidney) disease
Hyperkalemia
Hyperlipoproteinemia
"garbage" poisoning
Tick Bites
Toxoplamosis (Toxo)
7. lissencephaly (abnormal brain development)
8. Overheating
9. Anxiety, excitement
10. Pain

So, hopefully if it was a seizure...your Dr will be able to determine the cause. As you can see, a seizure is a pretty serious thing. There are potentially many different reasons your pet could suffer from one.
What is your doctor's next plan of action?

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
sending hugs and good thoughts your way.. glad you were able to bring him with you to work ! :heart:

ZuesKaneLeyla

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Zues Kane & Leyla
sucks man =( i had a female bulldog that died last year she was 9 months old when she started having them and was having these seizures,wasted about 2,500 on her medical treatment she lasted me one more year and passed away after 2 more seizures =/ i was told it was epilepsy but they had no clue what cuased it...

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
sucks man =( i had a female bulldog that died last year she was 9 months old when she started having them and was having these seizures,wasted about 2,500 on her medical treatment she lasted me one more year and passed away after 2 more seizures =/ i was told it was epilepsy but they had no clue what cuased it...

Very sorry to hear that :(

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hugs, prayers and postive thoughts to you and Angus. Cheryl gave you some great information... hopefully you can get more info from your vet

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.