Hello. Deaf bully questions...

Siobhan

Aug 5, 2012
Perth, WA, Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
Hello :) I am new to this website, and also have a deaf bulldog. We have only had her for 2months or so, as she was abandoned and turned up at our door! I've never had a dog before let alone a deaf one. I was wondering how you went with your training and if you had any advice?
Thanks!

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
Re: My "Tater Tot" is Hearing Impaired....

Lot of facial expressions with touch, such as rubbing of the ears, (or whatever is favorite touch for her-for doing good) eye contact (pointing to your eyes for "watch me" ), and maybe shaking of the hand for doing something unacceptable, hand movements. Treats. Whatever is simple, short and definite movements. Stick with it. No special instructor, just make them aware, and ask them to work with you, you are going to be the training. With patence and consisteny, exercise, activity with people and other dogs, your baby will have a happy and full life. Good luck.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome! Would love to see pics of your sweet baby. No help on the training personally but I am sure you will get plenty of advice, although you did get some good advice already. ;)

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
welcome!! and how sweet she found her forever home.. I am sure you will get lots of great advice here ! don't forget we love to see pictures! :photo:

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
question- I had a email stating my response had been moved and that I had messages. Was that the message, and why was it moved? I am confused.

OP
S

Siobhan

Aug 5, 2012
Perth, WA, Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
Thanks for all the advice. Its much appreciated and needed! I have pics uploaded somewhere, still not quite sure how to work this website, but people have commented on them, so they're there!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I would suggest reinforcing her "looking to you for guidance" behaviors with treats, positive touch and the happy facial cues already mentioned. (Always carry a treat tote and reward her -- not just with treats though, obviously. Those have to be metered out so it's a surprise, right?)

I would also say that it's ok for you to use sound - as it helps YOU with your intention / energy. Even if she cannot hear you, she had "feel" you. For hearing people, sound helps us.

What an EXCITING JOURNEY you are on!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
question- I had a email stating my response had been moved and that I had messages. Was that the message, and why was it moved? I am confused.

Hi Pamela! What happened was we moved Siobhan's question and your response to here..a new thread! She had added her question on to an old thread, where it wouldn't get much attention. Since you responded to her question..your response was moved also! Hope this explains it..your initial response is above. :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.