Help Needed! Bella Update - And Shot Q's!

sporako

Jul 22, 2011
Madison WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Duchess
Hello everyone,

Bella is now 15Months old, and as you may remember she has been threw a ton. She suffered from an Aspiration pneumonia when she was very young - She was in the Oxygen chamber for over 6 days, and in our last efforts they used a medication that attached the cartilage in her legs. Her back legs are soar and stiff (she is on a joint medication) - but she's alive and a sweet heart :) I'm thankful for all of the support everyone provided when we went though this, I can honestly say the great suggestions and nice words helped me get by.

That brings me to my question(s).

I'm wondering if you could point me to some reading, or provide some suggestions on how to move forward with her shots. This topic is one that I know people feel many different ways about, my vet would like to pump her full of every option (I'm over stating a bit, but you get my point)

The shots they want to give her (She already has her rabies shots)

DHPP (vaccines for distemper, adenovirus [hepatitis], parainfluenza, and parvovirus)Coronavirus, Leptospirosis, Bordatella, Lyme disease

I want to provide her the best chance to be healthy - both in the short and long term. Given her health issues in the past, I also want to expose her to the least amount of risk possible. What do you think?

Also, Here are a few photos for you!

Her sitting on the deck - enjoying the cool breeze.

The second one, she got stuck in my shirt - and I couldn't resist taking a photo!

Thanks, :heart:

Eric

Bella up north.jpgphoto (1).jpg

Last edited:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Bella is truly bella. Unfortunately I don't have any wisdom about the shots. For over all health food is really most important, long and short term.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw she is a cutie. im not good on the shots either. im thinking the least you can get by with the better. oh and they have a nasal bortitella that people say stay away from as it can cause pneumonia also. i would probably be boosting the immune system with what your baby has been through.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
With the little puppies I give shots a week apart so it's not too hard on their system, perhaps that would be an option fir you? You could also ask for a titer test to see if she needs them at all. The most important is the parvo... Then DHPP.... Bordatella is protection against kennel cough ( if you dont plan on boarding or doing doggie daycare it is optional... But not the nasal one). Never heard of one for Lyme disease, that could be because of where you live. AZ it's not a risk here. Hope this helps! She is beautiful!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
I'd say treat for the ones you are at risk for. If you don't need it, skip it.
Pan has most of the ones you listed, some are required by the groomer, the lyme because we take Pan through the woods and we have a lot of deer running around our area. Plus in Ohio the have predicted that ticks are going to be really bad (we've already found one in the house - none on him). And other just to be safe.

But Pan has been overall a healthy bully.

By the way, how adorable is she! Look at that smile!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She is beautiful so happy she is doing better.

As for the shots... I would get the DHPP and flu shots.

These are all option so...Lyme only if you are in a deer tick area and Kennel cough(Bordatella) if you are going to board or dog parks. Leptospirosis... if you take them to lakes, creeks, walks where water would be

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.