General Question New Bulldog owner. Advice :)

Siobhan

Aug 5, 2012
Perth, WA, Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
Hi,

I am new to this site and a new bulldog owner. We have had Molly now for roughly two months, she was found wandering outside our house. We tried to find her owner, but alas we had no luck, so we've taken her in. According to the Vet, Molly is about 18months old and deaf :(
It must be very lonely for her being deaf and the only dog in our house, and I'm looking for ways to keep her entertained. We have toys for her to play with, but she doesnt seem interested.
If anyone else out there has a deaf dog I would appreciate any advice you could give me, as disciplining her is sometimes very trying.

Thanks in advance :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I do not have advice on helping a deaf bully but I did want to say WELCOME and congratulations!!!!!! She is very lucky to have you.

I am pretty sure there are rescue people here that can help you so I am going to bump this up :)

I am glad you jumped right in. This is a great place for advice as well as just conversation.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
My mind blanks but I know there is at least one on here that has a deaf bullie and can help.....I am sure they will be along soon.

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
I highly recommend training. This would serve as a bonding time for you and her, gives her semthing else to think about, gives her higher esteem, and will help with her becoming the pet that you want, good manners. Use hand signals instead of voice. When I work with my Emma, I use voice and hand signals at same time. Also you will want to practice your training daily. You do not need a special instructor for this, just make instructor aware of her being deaf. Will not present a problem.
Also take her to daycare to play with other dogs, she does not need to hear for this. Dog parks, walks.
all of this will keep her active, well adjusted and busy.
Good Luck

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
FIrst dogs don't know they are deaf they ahve no idea what they are missing so it isn't a bug deal to her at all. Using hand signals is your best bet. They work really well. Also invest in a vibrating collar it's not a shock collar it just vibrates to get their attention.

OP
S

Siobhan

Aug 5, 2012
Perth, WA, Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
Thank you so much for making me feel welcome :) I have never owned a dog prior to Molly, so all your advice and kind words are much appreciated :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya: I'm so sorry..I missed your intro until now! I have to say..you are very lucky to have gotten such a wonderful girl..but it sounds like Molly it the real winner here! I'm sure it will be a challenge..but honestly..my Jake acts like he's deaf 95% of the time! If you treat her normal..she will feel your confidence and surprise you! Please jumping and mke yourself at home..I think if you do a search for Deaf or Deaf bully..there might be a few threads!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16476&highlight=Deaf

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11427&highlight=Deaf

Heres a couple..I searched under Deaf..lots showed up!

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
:hiya: and :smileywelcome: You have gotten some great advice already! I just wanted to thank you for giving her the love she needs :bravo: to you! Cant wait to see pictures of your sweet girl :)

OP
S

Siobhan

Aug 5, 2012
Perth, WA, Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
Thanks for all the kind replies! I forgot to ask, she is very very white and LOVES to sunbathe! Obviously this can be a problem, living in Australia aswell, we try and smother her with suncream, like the Vet said, but she just licks it off etc. Any tips on how to keep her protected from the sun? Thanks!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Welcome and thank you for saving her! My Uskos sister is all white and deaf. I've had her here with me for one day and it's difficult cause ofcourse I'm use to vocal commands. But she understands signs. There is also lot of tips how to train your deaf dog is you just google training deaf dog.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.