URGENT!!! Little Cognac is losing her hair :(

Hesham Alsaad

Jan 15, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Cognac
Hello Bulldoggers,

My little princess Cognac is one year old and i've noticed little white circle with her hair coming off from her skin 4 days ago and now when i combed her hair its actually gotten bigger and other spots have shown. Im not sure what it is, and honestly my budget wont allow me to go to the vet till next week. Does someone know how i can cure this at home, please help.

I did the search and it looks like a ringworm but honestly its not red or anything and she doesnt really get bothered from it.

Merci

Attachments

• IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1587.jpg
    IMG_1587.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 141

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
This could be brought on by an allergy, just clean it and put some hydrogen peroxide on it and maybe some hydrocordizone cream on it. It could also be from a mite, but only your vet can tell with a scraping.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
gees im not sure what that is. id do what hes says and see if maybe you can get to the vets when you can.

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
Check for fleas. I once had a dog that was allergic to flea bites and she started losing her hair in little patches. We had to switch her flea medicine (from one that interpreted the life cycle to one that killed after a meal) and in a few weeks she had all her hair back.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I agree this could be allergies or something else...no way to tell without the vet doing a skin scrape...Until you can get to the vet keep it clean and like others said you some bacitracin...Maybe the vet can see you and agree to do payment plan ( we did that when Brutus had his surgery 3 grand later) Its worth a shot to see...ALso if you want there is Care Credit which is great for us humans as well as our pets health...Check it out and you can use it for things like this..Let me know if you need anything

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
are they dry areas... flaky?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My first guess was allergies too .... what food is your bully on??

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gypsy had that and it turned out to be mange. It is common so don't panic! But they will need to be treated as soon as you can manage. Personally, I would head in to the vet when you can and have them do a scraping to make sure. Could be infection, ringworm, allergy....but you won't be able to know without the scraping first.

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Gypsy had that and it turned out to be mange. It is common so don't panic! But they will need to be treated as soon as you can manage. Personally, I would head in to the vet when you can and have them do a scraping to make sure. Could be infection, ringworm, allergy....but you won't be able to know without the scraping first.

Agreed. My bulldog has something similar, shes been losing lots of her hair, shedding like crazy, and she has those little circle dry patches (baldspots?) I took her to the vet to get a allergy panel done as well as a skin scrape, I'm awaiting my results.

sporako

Jul 22, 2011
Madison WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Duchess
You may want to research seasonal Flank alopecia. My last bully had it - and it kinda looked like what you have. Clearly it may not be it at all, Maybe google it and use the images search. Compare the photos you see with Cognac; the good news is - if it ends up being SFA, it's not the end of the world. Cognac won't hurt, and with the proper care its manageable. Duchess only had it for one season, and it was gone.

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
Perhaps skin allergies, if so, not quick fix. I do raw food, did wonders for loss of hair, but it a slower acting cure because it is natural. Also to get the hair growing back, Vitamin E, rubbed into that spot, once a day, will get the hair to growing back, dont stop using it until hair is back covering the spot. I use this on Emma skin, never has failed me.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
You may want to research seasonal Flank alopecia. My last bully had it - and it kinda looked like what you have. Clearly it may not be it at all, Maybe google it and use the images search. Compare the photos you see with Cognac; the good news is - if it ends up being SFA, it's not the end of the world. Cognac won't hurt, and with the proper care its manageable. Duchess only had it for one season, and it was gone.

Gizmo has Seasonal Flank Alopecia - and its nothing like this. Sorry. however...it could be ringworm OR it could be a fungal - Gizmo had one of these spots that turned into 3 circles in about a week -

gizmo spot - by Rettinger, on Flickr

it was actually fungal

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Lily has a few small blad spots as we speak.
I took her to the vet yesterday and he said it was seasonal allergies.
But I'm thinking of getting a second opinion.
I'm thinking a trip to a vet dermatologist may be in order!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gizmo has Seasonal Flank Alopecia - and its nothing like this. Sorry. however...it could be ringworm OR it could be a fungal - Gizmo had one of these spots that turned into 3 circles in about a week -

gizmo spot - by Rettinger, on Flickr

it was actually fungal

I agree that seasonal flank alopecia on Gator did not look like that at all. His only lasted like a month and grew back in. It was on his side and I don't know if it was just on a black patch of skin (he has black spots) or if the skin turned black or what.

Gypsy's demodex mange looked a lot like that but then so do many other things such as bacterial infections and fungal infections as well as allergies. First step is the vet for a scraping then move on from there.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online