Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Little Cognac is losing her hair :(

Quote Originally Posted by sporako View Post
    You may want to research seasonal Flank alopecia. My last bully had it - and it kinda looked like what you have. Clearly it may not be it at all, Maybe google it and use the images search. Compare the photos you see with Cognac; the good news is - if it ends up being SFA, it's not the end of the world. Cognac won't hurt, and with the proper care its manageable. Duchess only had it for one season, and it was gone.
    Gizmo has Seasonal Flank Alopecia - and its nothing like this. Sorry. however...it could be ringworm OR it could be a fungal - Gizmo had one of these spots that turned into 3 circles in about a week -

gizmo spot - by Rettinger, on Flickr

it was actually fungal

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)

Lily has a few small blad spots as we speak.
    I took her to the vet yesterday and he said it was seasonal allergies.
    But I'm thinking of getting a second opinion.
    I'm thinking a trip to a vet dermatologist may be in order!

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RaRett View Post
    Gizmo has Seasonal Flank Alopecia - and its nothing like this. Sorry. however...it could be ringworm OR it could be a fungal - Gizmo had one of these spots that turned into 3 circles in about a week -

gizmo spot - by Rettinger, on Flickr

it was actually fungal
    I agree that seasonal flank alopecia on Gator did not look like that at all. His only lasted like a month and grew back in. It was on his side and I don't know if it was just on a black patch of skin (he has black spots) or if the skin turned black or what.

Gypsy's demodex mange looked a lot like that but then so do many other things such as bacterial infections and fungal infections as well as allergies. First step is the vet for a scraping then move on from there.
    Last edited by GatorRay; 08-07-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: wanted to add some info

Bulldog(s) Names
    Savage and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I recently took my little Lucy in for a similar looking bald spot after a skin scraping we found out she has demodex mange and there have been more balding spots lately. Definitely when you can get a skin scrape!!

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GatorRay View Post
    Gypsy had that and it turned out to be mange. It is common so don't panic! But they will need to be treated as soon as you can manage. Personally, I would head in to the vet when you can and have them do a scraping to make sure. Could be infection, ringworm, allergy....but you won't be able to know without the scraping first.

AS with other, a vet scraping is what is suggested. I know others might not agree.....EVERY DOG HAS MANGE. Sometimes the immune system is not able to control the mites and it gets out of control. Yes, many Bullies get this but DO NOT WORRY. It will heal with meds and time.

My Belle had to horrible! Bad. But with meds, shampoo and time her coat came back even better than before and I was able to use her as a show dog 4 months later and not a trace of the prob at all. It has been over 14 months since she had this and no re-occurrences.

It might not be, but the only way to know for sure is a scraping. If not, then onto the next step.

Don't fret; this too shall pass.

G'Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads