Other Gator Update 8/4/12

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gator came home this morning. He has no change in his condition as of yet but he isn't any worse. He will need to be on crate rest for probably 4 weeks. He has come home on Rymadyl and an antibiotic in case it comes back that he did have some sort of infection in his spinal fluid. The results from the fluid test should be in on Monday. However, we have a diagnosis at this point (mostly) as the second opinion from Ohio State did come back and they agree with the ortho that he has a defect from T-3 through T-11 with the larger issues being 3-7. That is where they believe there is some atrophy. The question is still, was there something aggravating it to cause him to lose control of his back legs (such as trauma or infection) which he may be able to bounce back from or are they like this from deterioration and he will just continue to get worse? Only time will tell at this point.

The plan right now is to have him on crate rest with some physical therapy and massage and see if he improves. If so, we then proceed to make lifestyle changes to help prevent a recurrence. Such as a ramp on the stairs, a ramp to the sofa, soft flooring surfaces, and minimize jumping, etc. If he does not improve or gets worse, then we take it from there.

The good news is that he is not in pain. I will take a video of him walking later for you guys. I already bought a small area rug so that he can come out supervised every now and again (we have hardwoods) and my poor husband is out there trying to build a ramp. I don't think he knows what he is doing but I do think he feels like he has to do SOMETHING, kwim?

Thank you to everyone for the support. You are the very best people in the whole world!!!

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Its awful you don't know what its from, but whats really wonderful is that he's not in pain. That's great to hear. I'm not familiar with what he's going through, but maybe it is an infection and once thats under control he'll get better. Still sending tons of good energy and love Gator's way!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
here's hoping the rest and massage will do the trick :pray:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
How wonderful he's home, not in pain and you have some idea of what the problem is!

Will continue prayers for him that he continues to improve and all is resolved whenever
inflammation clears up...also money flows in from unexpected windfalls to pay Vet bills.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh betty ill continue to pray for gator. if i was closer id come massage him everyday. ill pray for the best possible outcome for you and him :hug:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
HUGS and more positive thoughts for your boy..... we are all sending the best possible thoughts and prayers to you and him.

Betty --- any chance Laser Therapy may help him? Banks has fused vertebra and it does her wonders.... just a thought

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We will continue to pray for Gator and hope he continues to improve. I am hoping for some good news on Monday, so he can get on the road to recovery.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Continued prayers and positive thoughts for Gator! He is very luck to have such a loving family to make him comfortable. Im happy he is home with his family and Im sure he is going to love his massages. :hug: to you both

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
oh betty ill continue to pray for gator. if i was closer id come massage him everyday. ill pray for the best possible outcome for you and him :hug:

I know you would and that is one of the reasons I love you! So selfless! I gave him two massages today. He is snoring right now from his last one. I am supposed to do his back legs but, of course, I did his whole body (except his lower back). lol

HUGS and more positive thoughts for your boy..... we are all sending the best possible thoughts and prayers to you and him.

Betty --- any chance Laser Therapy may help him? Banks has fused vertebra and it does her wonders.... just a thought

You know, I don't know if it would or not since it is possible atrophy. I think we are waiting to see if he improves and if not, we move on to whatever we can from there. We will do whatever the ortho thinks will work for him. Is that for disk issues?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Awww...I can picture your husband out there, building.....:heart:

Positive vibes and healing thoughts for Gator.......

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know you would and that is one of the reasons I love you! So selfless! I gave him two massages today. He is snoring right now from his last one. I am supposed to do his back legs but, of course, I did his whole body (except his lower back). lol

You know, I don't know if it would or not since it is possible atrophy. I think we are waiting to see if he improves and if not, we move on to whatever we can from there. We will do whatever the ortho thinks will work for him. Is that for disk issues?

It is for the deep tissue to relief pressure on the disc....mention it to the Ortho. Worse they will do is say no

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online