URGENT!!! HOT SPOT - what to do until we see the vet on Monday

LolasPuppet

A bad BOY, not a girl!
Jun 18, 2012
Ljubljana & Portorož, both in Slovenia, in the mid
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Lola has been acting strangely, so I checked her whole body and noticed a round hot spot on her back (around 2 inches big). Red, bloody, blood smelling, greasy ...
Unfortunately it's a Saturday, so I don't have any better vets available (they either don't work during weekends, or are on vacation). What should we do while we wait for Monday?

We cleaned the hot spot and applied some Bepanthen on it (since it's probably more European based product: it's the best creme for skin injuries for people; my friend, a doctor, said it's pretty mild so it should be fine for a dog).

Should we shave the area (I would rather not)?

What else can/should we do?

One more thing: how can we prevent her from scratching the spot? It's a bit above the middle of the back, she scratches it with her right leg.

P.s.: Oh, the cause is probably an allergy (she's been mildly scratching herself for weeks, we put her on diet, no help, so she's going to be allergy tested ASAP).

HOTSPOT.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh poor Lola!!! Shaving it (hopefully you have an electric razor) will get it air so it can dry out faster. Then wash it 3 x a day with hybicleanse (sp?) which is surgical soap, if you don't have any use antibacterial soap, then apply something with a steroid in it like hydrocortisone. Many also use listerine. Your goals are to dry it out and reduce the itching. If not it can continue to spread. You can put a tshirt on her to keep her from itching (which will cause it to spread). But only do this when you cannot supervise her because you want it to get air to dry out. Hope this helps! Poor sweet girl!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i did not shave sarah when she had hers. i used hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball and then an antibacterial soap not sure what you have there. its called hibiclenz but any antibacterial soap should do. i did this twice a day on sarah. hydrocortisone cream would help the itching not sure what it would be called there. poor baby think my bf gave her some benadryl antihistamine while i was gone also to help with itching. hope she gets better soon. yes listerine is mouth wash.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
shaving is best to get it to dry out.... just take your time and do it slowly with the electric razor

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=5160]LolasPuppet[/MENTION]...poor darling...I got a smidgen of Dr Oz last week and he rec'cmd using
Apple Cider Vinegar on hot spots, if really moist & oozy then dilute 50/50 w/filtered water.

You might access his show on Internet but I don't think he said much more than it helped
dry it out and helped w/itching. Let us know how she does.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.