General Question Spay/Neuter At 3 Months?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I called the spay neuter clinic today to get some information as we have the two pups that will be in need of their services in the upcoming months (Stella and Rizzo). I told them that Stella was only 3 months old so it would be awhile yet (I was thinking more like spay at 6 months) but they told me that they will spay anywhere from 3 months on.

Does that seem too young? It's been awhile since I've had a dog young enough that I had to have them spayed, usually they are fixed before I adopt them.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] is right 3 months is too young in my books, plus I would go to a vet that is familiar with bullies.

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thanks guys! It's been awhile since I've had to do this!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Yes I agree any breed should be done at/after 6 months at least

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I was reading about this when I first brought Abby home at 11 weeks and we discovered a scar that we don't know from what. That's when I found an article on the ASPCA's website on early age spay/neuter.

The new school of thought says that it is best to spay earlier than 6 months. Some female dogs have their first heat between 4 and 6 months old. The thinking now is that spaying before that first season prevents mammary gland tumors. A lot of doctors are doing is as early as 6 weeks or at 2 pounds.

Do I agree with it? I don't know. The medical evidence is pretty powerful but I haven't had to make the decision myself so I haven't fully formed my own opinion. If you google early age spay you'll find a lot of information on it, including the page on the ASPCA's website.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Hmm...I would personally wait til 6 months or later. Thank you for posting that Twice, I will go and take a look at the info.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Very interesting, but I really hate that all these studies are done and depending on who is conducting them the results wary. Are the studies really so extensive that it's really so or is it just coincidence. It is very confusing. I googled early spay and also got...

[FONT=Helvetica,Arial,Verdana,sans-serif]"Dogs that have been spayed or neutered well before puberty can frequently be identified by their longer limbs, lighter bone structure, narrow chests and narrow skulls."[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica,Arial,Verdana,sans-serif]
"Another recent study showed that dogs spayed or neutered before 5 1/2 months had a significantly higher incidence of hip dysplasia[/FONT]"
[FONT=Helvetica,Arial,Verdana,sans-serif]
"A retrospective study of cardiac tumors in dogs showed that there was a 5 times greater risk of hemangiosarcoma, one of the three most common cancers in dogs, in spayed bitches than intact bitches and a 2.4 times greater risk of hemangiosarcoma in neutered dogs as compared to intact males.(7) A study of 3218 dogs demonstrated that dogs that were neutered before a year of age had a significantly increased chance of developing bone cancer.(8) A separate study showed that neutered dogs had a two-fold higher risk of developing bone cancer.(9) Despite the common belief that neutering dogs helps prevent prostate cancer, at least one study suggests that neutering provides no benefit."
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Arial,Verdana,sans-serif]
"The study that identified a higher incidence of cranial cruciate ligament rupture in spayed or neutered dogs also identified an increased incidence of sexual behaviors in males and females that were neutered early.(5) Further, the study that identified a higher incidence of hip dysplasia in dogs neutered or spayed before 5 1/2 months also showed that early age gonadectomy was associated with an increased incidence of noise phobias and undesirable sexual behaviors.(6) A recent report of the American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation reported significantly more behavioral problems in spayed and neutered bitches and dogs. The most commonly observed behavioral problem in spayed females was fearful behavior and the most common problem in males was aggression.[/FONT]"

They do one study and give us the result and then another that denys the previous. If it's written and "studied" it doesn't always make it reality.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
The spray and neuter clinics are all about preventing unwanted litters, so they recommend getting them fixed early. In my opinion, anything under 6 months is too young.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I know I feel better about waiting tell they are 6 months old or more. I plan on fixing Lola even thought she is AKC I just dont want to put her through it and I feel the risks are to high living in a small town without a good vet. I hope to catch it before the first heat though!

L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION]...my vet just told me that Billy will need to be at least 8 months old first before he will do it xx

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
As many of you already know we adopted Vegas at 4.5 months old and he was already neutered. He is VERY healthy besides allergies, his body and head are perfect for a bully. Would I personally have done it that young myself? NO, but I do want you to know he was already fixed and has suffered no ill effects from it. He is a little over 3.5 yrs old now.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
The Spay and Neuter Clinics are 'chop shops' get them in and get them out. I would HIGHLY recommend going to a Bully Vet to have *ANY* surgery done. Just due to all of the 'Bully issues' - an Ounce of Prevention is worth a Pound of Cure - or worse...the heartache of a lost loved one.

Just my 2 cents - I Still want to try to wait until Hershey is closer to a year old for his Neuter

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online