URGENT!!! Getting Allergy Panel done today! Blood test?

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Hey guys I'm getting a Allergy Panel done today by my local vet, they quoted me $295 which I didn't think was too bad since I've seen higher prices that people have paid from here. The lady told me over the phone that they would be doing a blood test. I'm just curious if this is the most accurate way and is this the normal procedure for a allergy panel? I've heard of hair samples and i think stool samples too but i'm not sure what you guys recommend. She also stated the results would be here in a week or two.

Any tips or advice would be helpful, i really want to find out what my baby Snowy is allergic to!

L

Lucy-licious

There are other ways to do allergy test but this is probably the most accurate test. There are a few members here that have had the test done and I'm pretty sure they will come and give you advise when they get here.
We have been looking into the accuracy of the hair folicle test before we recommend it fully...so far medical research I am reading dies not support it as an alternative to blood panels. X

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Full blood screen allergy test is the way to go.... did it for both my babies and what a difference after we got that list to avoid.

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
There are other ways to do allergy test but this is probably the most accurate test. There are a few members here that have had the test done and I'm pretty sure they will come and give you advise when they get here.
We have been looking into the accuracy of the hair folicle test before we recommend it fully...so far medical research I am reading dies not support it as an alternative to blood panels. X
Thanks! I would rather much do the test that yields the most accurate results. I read a couple of stuff about hair tests and also read that its not accurate.

Full blood screen allergy test is the way to go.... did it for both my babies and what a difference after we got that list to avoid.

Good to hear, glad they do Blood tests at my local clinic :)
I'm looking forward to getting the list as well, it'll help so much.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
So good to hear this - you may be amazed at what you find! I sure was! Good luck and please let us know how it comes out!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hi there...I've struggled mightily with allergies with my bulldog Truman.

I asked my vet about a blood allergy test for him. He said the blood allergy tests, which were developed for humans, give a lot of false positive allergies in dogs so, if we do allergy testing, he would recommend a intradermal skin test, which involved going a dermatologist, anesthetizing Truman, shaving his side, and having antigens poked in his skin to see a reaction. It was almost $1000 for that and it's about 75% accurate.

So, after going through Benadryl, hydroxyzine, and steroids, we're on Cyclosporine and finally seeing relief. I never had the allergy test done since, with severe allergies, in most cases, the allergy is environmental and cannot be avoided. (i.e. dust, mold, etc.)

Check out my thread on Cyclosporine.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Hi there...I've struggled mightily with allergies with my bulldog Truman.

I asked my vet about a blood allergy test for him. He said the blood allergy tests, which were developed for humans, give a lot of false positive allergies in dogs so, if we do allergy testing, he would recommend a intradermal skin test, which involved going a dermatologist, anesthetizing Truman, shaving his side, and having antigens poked in his skin to see a reaction. It was almost $1000 for that and it's about 75% accurate.

So, after going through Benadryl, hydroxyzine, and steroids, we're on Cyclosporine and finally seeing relief. I never had the allergy test done since, with severe allergies, in most cases, the allergy is environmental and cannot be avoided. (i.e. dust, mold, etc.)

Check out my thread on Cyclosporine.

[MENTION=3380]EBDR35[/MENTION] I've heard also that the intradermal is the most accurate, but I never wanted to put Lilly or Bruin under anesthesia for it. Bruin isn't horribly bad with his allergies, so I thought why take the chance. I still believe the blood test can help tremendously even if it gives false positives. It gives you a starting place. I plan to do a blood test this fall and also try the hair analysis sometime soon....ya know, when I finally get my butt to the post office and send the hair off.

Most Reactions