Thread: Getting Allergy Panel done today! Blood test?

Default Getting Allergy Panel done today! Blood test?

Hey guys I'm getting a Allergy Panel done today by my local vet, they quoted me $295 which I didn't think was too bad since I've seen higher prices that people have paid from here. The lady told me over the phone that they would be doing a blood test. I'm just curious if this is the most accurate way and is this the normal procedure for a allergy panel? I've heard of hair samples and i think stool samples too but i'm not sure what you guys recommend. She also stated the results would be here in a week or two.

Any tips or advice would be helpful, i really want to find out what my baby Snowy is allergic to!

Lucy-licious

Default Re: Getting Allergy Panel done today! Blood test?

There are other ways to do allergy test but this is probably the most accurate test. There are a few members here that have had the test done and I'm pretty sure they will come and give you advise when they get here.
    We have been looking into the accuracy of the hair folicle test before we recommend it fully...so far medical research I am reading dies not support it as an alternative to blood panels. X

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Full blood screen allergy test is the way to go.... did it for both my babies and what a difference after we got that list to avoid.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy-licious View Post
    There are other ways to do allergy test but this is probably the most accurate test. There are a few members here that have had the test done and I'm pretty sure they will come and give you advise when they get here.
    We have been looking into the accuracy of the hair folicle test before we recommend it fully...so far medical research I am reading dies not support it as an alternative to blood panels. X
    Thanks! I would rather much do the test that yields the most accurate results. I read a couple of stuff about hair tests and also read that its not accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Full blood screen allergy test is the way to go.... did it for both my babies and what a difference after we got that list to avoid.
    Good to hear, glad they do Blood tests at my local clinic
    I'm looking forward to getting the list as well, it'll help so much.

Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
    Likes (Received)

So good to hear this - you may be amazed at what you find! I sure was! Good luck and please let us know how it comes out!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Hi there...I've struggled mightily with allergies with my bulldog Truman.

I asked my vet about a blood allergy test for him. He said the blood allergy tests, which were developed for humans, give a lot of false positive allergies in dogs so, if we do allergy testing, he would recommend a intradermal skin test, which involved going a dermatologist, anesthetizing Truman, shaving his side, and having antigens poked in his skin to see a reaction. It was almost $1000 for that and it's about 75% accurate.

So, after going through Benadryl, hydroxyzine, and steroids, we're on Cyclosporine and finally seeing relief. I never had the allergy test done since, with severe allergies, in most cases, the allergy is environmental and cannot be avoided. (i.e. dust, mold, etc.)

Check out my thread on Cyclosporine.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sheshistory View Post
    Hi there...I've struggled mightily with allergies with my bulldog Truman.

I asked my vet about a blood allergy test for him. He said the blood allergy tests, which were developed for humans, give a lot of false positive allergies in dogs so, if we do allergy testing, he would recommend a intradermal skin test, which involved going a dermatologist, anesthetizing Truman, shaving his side, and having antigens poked in his skin to see a reaction. It was almost $1000 for that and it's about 75% accurate.

So, after going through Benadryl, hydroxyzine, and steroids, we're on Cyclosporine and finally seeing relief. I never had the allergy test done since, with severe allergies, in most cases, the allergy is environmental and cannot be avoided. (i.e. dust, mold, etc.)

Check out my thread on Cyclosporine.

@EBDR35 I've heard also that the intradermal is the most accurate, but I never wanted to put Lilly or Bruin under anesthesia for it. Bruin isn't horribly bad with his allergies, so I thought why take the chance. I still believe the blood test can help tremendously even if it gives false positives. It gives you a starting place. I plan to do a blood test this fall and also try the hair analysis sometime soon....ya know, when I finally get my butt to the post office and send the hair off.
    "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Remove Ads