Help Needed! Doggie Dermatologist

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
We just got back from the Dermatologist. All I can say is "WOW" We were shocked with everything Jack has going on.
First off, they took samples of all the areas that were swollen and red on Jack, which were so many more places than we realized; Bottom of both feet between toes, the area under his tail, and both ears. All five areas came back showing bacteria. So now he is on the antibotic Simplicef, medicated wipes for the feet and tail area, and a VERY, if not Extreme Diet trial. They gave us a dry food of Kangaroo and Oats, and that is all he can have for 8 weeks, 2-1/2 cups a day. No treats, no chews things, no toys, unless fabric and washed daily. Then after the 8 weeks, if he does ok, we will add another food, and continue doing so every two weeks. Are we wrong in thinking this is way too extreme, or is this truly a valid method. Any allegry experts here? We are finding this almost devasating :(

OP
fortindycouple

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
Oh, I forgot one thing. We can disquise the pills in mini marshmallows, and give the marshmallows as an occasional treat.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I would hate to think what the Bill was for all that. But I do believe it is what many Dermatologist veternarians would do. I am debating on whether to take Maximus to one. Perhaps I'm afraid of what they will find, and definitely afraid of the cost ! LOL.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I feel your pain! We haven't had to deal with the food trials as we suspect Tonka's allergies are mostly environmental. We did one food change and noticed no difference in his symptoms so we thought environmental seemed more likely--especially given he had a runny nose and his face and eyes itched. His paws are only a tiny bit pink and he shakes his head a lot which makes me think he has itchy ears even though we clean them and we can't see any dirt or anything. Did you notice any ear redness or dirt or did they only find out he had trouble in the ears by really looking inside?

Oh and I can sympathize with cost too. Our dermatologist appointment (for the appointment alone) cost $140. Then for the skin allergy test it was $300, followed by another $200 for the first vial of his allergy shot serum which we are trying out. Tonka tested allergic to 15 different environmental items including dust/dust mites/food dust, cotton, wool, grass mold, pine mix, clover etc. He said most dogs test allergic to only 8-10 items. We also give Tonka two Hydroxyzine (antihistamine)per day which adds up. It's tough, but hang in there, it just takes time to figure out what will work best!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
How about an allergy test? Maybe to eliminate foods or triggers without this elimination diet? Poor guy. I do know people that have been through this same kind of diet. Well..no kangaroo..but the methods are the same. I'm so sorry you're feeling so bad. I'm just certain you'll figure it out and I sooo hope the mysteries are solved...:hug:

OP
fortindycouple

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
[MENTION=3445]Meggs19[/MENTION] - Yes, he looked in both years with his ear thing, and also swabbed both ears and looked under microscope. His ears are clean and eardrums are fine, no infection, just swollen and red. Because Jack is only 6-1/2 months old, he feels his allergies are food related, as environmental issues usually appear between ages 2 and 3; however, if we can't figure out what he is allergic to foodwise, we will then do the skin one. We have given him every flavor and protein from the Fromm food line, so we had to start giving him the Kangaroo and Oats, because he hasn't had that. The costs involved today were just under $400, but that figure will keep growing as we get more into this. We gave him so Kangaroo tonight, and he loved it!!! Thank goodness.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I wonder the same question as jakeisgreat .... have you had an allergy test done to find out exactly what he is allergic to??

I have never been to a vet dermatologist so can't really comment on your experience .... and never heard of the kangaroo food you're on. I just hope you get the answers!!

OP
fortindycouple

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
The Dr. Said bc Jack is only 6-1/2 months he most likely is allergic to a food, not an environmental. The allergy testing for foods is a trial and error thing. Then if it comes to needing the environmental testing, that's what is next. It's more invasive, as it's done just like it is done on humans. He said to do a blood test, it's only 20% accurate. We're very thankful that he likes the kangaroo. I laughed when they told us what food we were going to use. I've never heard of it being a dog food. It's made by Iams and is a "prescription" food. Jeff is really struggling with all of this. He enjoys giving Jack different and fun treats. Hopefully it will be a fast 8 weeks!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hmmm... as I understood it food allergies and environmental allergies had the same kind of time length to appear.... and rarely do either appear in a young dog until they are about a year old.

Also, I am yet to hear of Iams ever bringing out any kind of good quality food. Unfortunately, Iams have a very well paid marketing department who like to target vets and even more unfortunately, the vets believe the crap they are told.

So .... and forgive me if this is already covered in a thread that I have missed or forgotton ....what made you take him to a vet dermatologist?

OP
fortindycouple

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] - Our regular vet referred us to the dermatologist bc he has had red, inflamed' itchy ears since Memorial Day weekend. He did say food allergies generally start under the age of 1

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
We actually are going through the same thing. Our vet said that he thought Pan's ailments were food related since they were year round, and I'm pretty much OCD about the house. Our vet actually recommended the Roo diet, we opted for something else.

We were told he can only have a food that he's never had before and nothing else (we give his meds in a cherry tomato because I'm a rebel). So no treats, no table scraps, no pizza crusts, no popsicles. Yeah, I thought it would be really hard (and at times it is) but when I want to give Pan a treat I just grab a small handful of his chow and he loves it. We toss it, fling it across the floor so he has to chase it, and just have fun with it. Besides Pizza Wednesday he isn't really bothered by the no other treats, but he really likes those crusts...

I know that somewhere there's a link to a guy in the UK that does an allergy test for like $50 and it seems like its pretty in depth. After Pan is off his meds we are going to try it out. (We actually wanted to do it before but ended up at the vet's office... blah)

But I totally understand your plight! I'm just glad that he likes the food, it makes it that much easier! Good luck!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes food allergies can start early, usually around 5 months old... And they can get worse with age.

Seasonal allergies usually don't manifest until after a year, as it is stated that they have to go through a full season to become allergic. However, I have seen runny eyes due to pollens much earlier.

For these reasons an allergy test done before 1 year will likely be inaccurate.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=4780]fortindycouple[/MENTION], Who is your regular vet? Just curious I lived in Indy until about a year ago.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
[MENTION=4780]fortindycouple[/MENTION] I am pretty sure seasonal allergies can present before the dog is 1 year old. Tonka was around 7 months when he started to itch his eyes and develop his runny nose. We did get the blood test when Tonka was too young--before 1 year and it didn't show much at all. However, we got the skin allergy test done when he was just about a year old since the doctor said he had been exposed to all the seasons and that showed LOTS of environmental allergies-15, like I said. So I know that's what was bothering our little guy. Our dermatologist told us that contrary to popular belief, the food allergies are not nearly as popular as people think. He said that's what people always assume is causing them. I know food is a factor for many bullies though, but Tonka never had any stand out reactions to any different food. When we did one food change we saw no difference in his symptoms either. We decided to not try a new food when we discovered all the environmental items he was allergic too. Now that he is older we are thinking of maybe trying the blood test one more time to see what it says.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.