Help Needed! Fleas yikes!

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Tyson is on sentinel and it takes care of heartworms and fleas. Well I just gave him a bath and there were literally 100 fleas in the bottom of my tub :barf:. They were all dead so it's working but at one point they were alive and had to have bitten him. what the heck ? Where are all of these fleas coming from? Does anyone have a solution to repel them ?

Dalia55

Jan 31, 2012
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Lasagna Lopez, Maximus Meatball Meridius
It might be from outdoors, grass, plants other animals. I just had a scare with fleas recently because a neighbors cat kept breaking into my yard (it had fleas) next thing you know my plants had fleas so I had to kill everything out & ban my dog from his beloved yard. Luckily I had him on frontline so it seems no fleas jumped on him. Also pet shops offer medicated grooming for them so after the yard incident I put him right to those services JUST INCASE. better safe then sorry.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Sounds like your yard must be infested. UGH! You can get your lawn sprayed for that and most, if not all, of the big, national lawn companies do it. The only way to repel them would be to spray something on your dog and I don't know how comfortable you are doing that (I'm not!!!) diamaceous earth (not sure on the spelling) on the lawn might be another option. I think [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] uses that so she would be a good person to ask. I tagged her on this thread.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] . Thanks . I have stray cats that climb my fence all the freaking time!! Must be where they came from . I don't want to put any sort of repellent on him. I guess I'll have to look into getting the lawn sprayed .

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We feed HRH some diatomaceous earth with her morning meal this year. Bruce got it from Carolina Pet Pantry. He also got some all natural stuff to apply like we used to apply the frontline, but we haven't had to use it.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION]...Diatomecous earth, food grade can be given in food, applied to skin,
wear mask and make sure bullie doesn't inhale either, and dusted indoors & outside.
You can dust area where he pottys then treat w/stronger pesticides on outer & perimeters
of yard.

Also solution of lemon juice & water, 1/2 & 1/2 in a spray bottle is good for spot on.

Brewer's yeast sprinkled in food will start repelling fleas when jumping on, then biting.

Comfortis (from Vet) is a monthly tablet works great & controls itching -good if they are
allergic to flea bites, ONE flea bite can make an allergic dog miserable!

Good luck, all bugs are horrendous everywhere this year.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I use the lemon juice and water mix for fleas. We haven't had a problem yet! :)

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I think I have also heard Lavender oil helps repel fleas ticks and mosquitos. I'm not sure about the application of it though. I imagine so many drops of oil diluted in water then sprayed ???

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.