General Question Stiffness

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
My 3 yr old female EB seems stiff when she gets up from napping. She is a rescue and i've only had her about 3 months, she's been vetted and is on a good dog food now. We walk twice a day the distance depends on the outside temp. We walk at her pace, she seems fine while she's up and moving. When we come home from the walk and she realized the a/c is on she either sits or lays on the vent, which i'm sure doesn't help her stiffness. She always lays on the same side and the stiffness seems to be in her rear/hips, after a few steps she seems to be loosened up again. My question should i give her a supplement? Any suggestions on what would help?

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
My Bruin is stiff too when he gets up and most of the time doesn't want to get up. I know whatever the reason it can't be too bad because he can certainly haul 'arse' back inside the house when he's done with his business. I have been going back and forth about giving a supplement. I'm considering a multivitamin with added glucosamine. Glucosamine helps with their joints. I'm sure others will be along to help soon.

OP
marianne

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
My Bruin is stiff too when he gets up and most of the time doesn't want to get up. I know whatever the reason it can't be too bad because he can certainly haul 'arse' back inside the house when he's done with his business. I have been going back and forth about giving a supplement. I'm considering a multivitamin with added glucosamine. Glucosamine helps with their joints. I'm sure others will be along to help soon.

sometime jenna doesn't want to get up either...but figure that's just laziness...I can't decide and her next vet appt isn't until april...i really don't think it needs a special appointment, of course unless it would get worse...thanks for your response

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] Any ideas? I can't remember off the top of my head who gives joint meds/glucosamine or anyone that has this stiffness problem that has found something to help. But I know they're out there somewhere. Do you know of anyone that could recommend some brands?

[MENTION=4925]marianne[/MENTION] I have tried Nupro, but not long enough to have any benefits (I think Bruin is allergic to something in it so I stopped giving it) I have heard good things of Missing Link and Cosequin Multivitamin

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes... we gave Nitschke GLC 1000... powder form of Glucosamine, it totally helped, but the best thing we did was stem cell therapy... he was a 7 year old puppy after that procedure

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Try cutting out one of the walks and just do one walk per day and see id that helps. Have you taken him to the vet to get checked for hip dysplasia?

OP
marianne

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
She didn't have stiffness when she was at the vet....this is fairly new....she just finished zooming around the house playing...it's when she first wakes from sleeping on the floor....2-3 steps and she's fine....mornings after sleeping in her crate most of the time she comes out & stretches and seems fine every now & then she limps a step or two then runs in to get breakfast and back to the room I'm in to get her morning lovins....I'm keeping a eye on her if she limps more I'll have her checked....think I will cut her walk to once a day or two short ones

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
She didn't have stiffness when she was at the vet....this is fairly new....she just finished zooming around the house playing...it's when she first wakes from sleeping on the floor....2-3 steps and she's fine....mornings after sleeping in her crate most of the time she comes out & stretches and seems fine every now & then she limps a step or two then runs in to get breakfast and back to the room I'm in to get her morning lovins....I'm keeping a eye on her if she limps more I'll have her checked....think I will cut her walk to once a day or two short ones

I just reposted my thread if you care to take a look at it,,, it's near the top of threads on this page

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
When they did a thorough exam of her at the vets do you remember if they checked the hips and the knees????

I took our new foster, Bella, in to the vets for her wellness check, and her vaccines because she had had nothing. I was convinced that the stiffness everytime she got up after sleeping for a while, and her back leg occasionally giving away on her was hip dysplasia. It turned out that she has luxating patellas ... which basically means that her knee caps float out of their normal position and to the side.

This condition has four grades ...... and the first one is mild with very little symptoms. I would consider getting her knees checked for this and for hip dysplasia if this does not get any better.

OP
marianne

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
I'm pretty sure he did check hips...can't remember if he did the knees but the exam seemed very thorough...she was fine this morning when she got up...she even wanted to take a longer walk than i thought she should she wasn't happy that i cut it short...think i'm gonna try a shorter in the morning and a very short one in the evening

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.