Other Well, Gator hasn't pooped

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Some of you may know we have been dealing with what we think is a back injury for about a week and a half with Gator. During the whole thing he has bee pooping, peeing, etc. However, today he did not poop at all. Not even a little bit. I don't think he has even tried.

Time to enter freak out mode.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
After I posted this, I realized I should give some details as I didn't really make it public.

Sunday before last, became kind of lethargic and had trouble moving around. Decided to give him a few days.

Last Wednesday, took him to the vet, bloodwork was all clear and he seemed uncomfortable with his back. Still eating/peeing/pooping, etc but having trouble moving around. Gave us an anti-inflammatory and pain med.

This past Sunday, did well on Friday and Saturday. FAR from normal but better. Still eating. Had a bloody (bright red) stool so I called the vet on his cell. He thought irritated bowel from the pain med. All poops after were perfectly normal.

Monday took him in and we did x-rays, things looked normal. Added a muscle relaxer to see if that would help and on strict bed rest. Still eating/pooping, etc.

Today, ate with gusto but has not pooped even once today....getting concerned!

Biggest fear at this point is that he ate something (though I wouldn't know what!!!) and it was in his tummy for a while and now trying to get out! Didn't see anything on the x-ray though.....

Any thoughts??

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Some of you may know we have been dealing with what we think is a back injury for about a week and a half with Gator. During the whole thing he has bee pooping, peeing, etc. However, today he did not poop at all. Not even a little bit. I don't think he has even tried.

Time to enter freak out mode.

No, don't freak out yet. I read your other thread on him... He is on pain meds, just like humans, it is possible that the pain meds have made him constipated. :2thumbs:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Yep, constipation from pain meds.........Liver works like a stool softener

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I thought about giving him a raw egg. I know that sometimes will cause them to poop too. I do have "liver treats" in the freezer. They are just blobs of liver that I freeze individually. I used them to give them their organ meats while raw feeding. I will try that if he doesn't go before bed.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well im late but i was going to say its the meds to. pain meds do that in humans to sometimes. ill be thinking of him and you and hope that the organ makes him go. if not maybe some canned pumpkin would help. your not raw feeding now? sorry just had to ask.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Canned Pumpkin will also loosen and tighten up the bowels.... its a wonder drug for our babies... just make sure its Canned Pumpkin and *NOT* Pumpkin Pie Mix. Good luck, and please keep us updated

wouldtick

Jul 22, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Barley's Rainbow Cupcake
Pain meds can definately cause sever constipation. A warm bath and tummy rub can help stimulate the bm.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I agree, the pain meds and the muscle relaxant are probably contributing to his constipation. I 2nd the pumpkin idea. Let us know!

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
He POOPED!! Whoo hoo. lol. And it was perfect and normal. I swear, he has me a complete wreck. He wouldn't eat dinner last night either. But he did eat his breakfast and he actually looked a little better this morning. Head up instead of hanging down like Eeyore. Wagged his tail, well, as good as he can wag that little thing lol.

The only one still on RAW is Lucy the basset. Gator had pretty severe hot spots from Pork and Chicken at different times and I checked sodium content, etc. I don't have a lot of choices here for other meats other than beef so I had to go back to kibble. For Gypsy, honestly, she was constantly choking herself no matter what I tried so I just had to stop. I went BIG head sized pieces and then took it when she could fit the whole think in her mouth, I tried chunking everything but then her bone content was not good enough, then I searched everywhere for a grinder that could handle bone and I just couldn't find one. So, back to kibble for her!

Lucy, on the other hand, is flourishing and I am so glad I decided on RAW for her. She is doing great :)

L

Lucy-licious

:bravo: and OMG I just remembered Lucy is the Bassett Hound :LMAO: I have been like who's Lucy :confused:

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
good news..! Funny how we get excited about seeing our dogs poop.. ! :rofl:

You know, wayyyy back when I first got here (over a year ago), I laughed about our poop fixation and I gotta say, it hasn't changed!

I think I freak about poop because I had a cat that ate some thread and it cut her up inside and she passed after trying with two surgeries to fix it. We didn't know for about a week. Tons of bloodwork, pooping and everything and nothing. An x-ray showed it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.