URGENT!!! Hot spots and bug bites

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi! Have to head out in a sec for a work meeting but wanted to chime in quickly. We're in Toronto and Fromm is available in the PetValu chains as well as many others. Food is where I'd try to perfect first. My guys react to different types of kibble, they'd get hotspots and hives like how you were saying. They react to different shampoos too, and the only one we found worked best was the 'VetSolutions' brand which you'd need to get from your vet, the oatmeal and aloe kind for sensitive skin. Can't recall you mentioning the food you pup is eating now, what brand is it?

Ok, will be back a little later. Work's calling. :)

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Once he finishes off his last bit of puppy food, we will try another brand (unless it seems to be the food). Any suggestions of what kind?

Just getting to this post, sorry. There isn't much more I can add in regards to the hot spots, but I did notice you mentioned trying another food once he's done with his other food. I just wanna throw a suggestion out there that perhaps you might want to try switching over slowly or might get some more runny poops. Try 1/4 new food, 3/4 old food for a few days, then 1/2 new, 1/2 old same amount of time then 1/4 old, 3/4 new same amount of time....then you should be good to go full on. Btw, I LOVE Basil as a name. I had a cat named Basil. Plus it is my favorite herb!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=5574]shawna[/MENTION]...listening to Dr Oz suggesting Red Cider Vinegar on cotton ball to dry
up hot spots, if raw then dilute 50/50 then apply. Never heard of this but might
be worth a try especially under Basil's eyes. Let us know if you try this, how it
works out...good luck...y'all are in my thoughts!

OP
S

shawna

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Basil
Finally....here are some pictures of our lumpy, bumpy dog:

007.jpg
This is under Basil's front armpit. These are the spots (hives?) that he woke up with, after being in his crate for the night. He does not sleep on anything, as he usually just shreds whatever is in there. The crate had been cleaned with just antibacterial soap, and water, as he had thrown up on it. It was rinsed clean with a hose.

004.jpg
This is the hot spot under his chin. It has completely healed now. Under chin is red from the bumps (hives?) and his irritated skin.

009.jpg
Basil's eye (he is lying on his back, eye closed). Hard to get a picture of this one. In the wrinkle it was much more raw. This area is healing well and is almost gone. So hard to dry this spot out though...just cleaning with baby wipes for now.
012.jpg
And at least, here is Basil. If you can make the picture bigger, you can see the lumps all over his legs and torso.

Poor guy is doing better now with his antibiotics and the pills to help stop the itching. The bumps are almost completely gone (still a little under his armpits), and the hotspots are healing well. Soon I would like to attempt to give him a bath (he stinks!), but I am worried that his hotspots will flare up, or I will cause some new ones. I am going to try out the vinegar, as I have heard this from a few people. So far, no more hives, so we will finish off his puppy food before we try something else. He is currently on Royal Canin Med Puppy.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 31

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=5574]shawna[/MENTION] Hon, I'd try a new food and not wait, he's clearly reacting to something and I'm
willing to bet it's the food, give the existing food to a friend and start over!

Maybe try him on a limited ingredient, grain free, preservative free and give filtered water to
drink.

Try a soothing oatmeal shampoo w/cool water, are you giving Benedryl to relieve his itchiness?

Please keep us updated, he is such a sweetheart
:heart:

OP
S

shawna

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Basil
Right now he is on a medication from the vet, that is helping with the itchiness. He isn't rubbing himself on the carpet, or the brick wall outside like he was before. The red spots seem to have healed completely. Just curious...if it is his food, why isn't he still reacting to it? Does the antibiotic keep the hives away? Just curious...

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Right now he is on a medication from the vet, that is helping with the itchiness. He isn't rubbing himself on the carpet, or the brick wall outside like he was before. The red spots seem to have healed completely. Just curious...if it is his food, why isn't he still reacting to it? Does the antibiotic keep the hives away? Just curious...

[MENTION=5574]shawna[/MENTION]...I wake up this morning thinking about your Basil and hoping he's well & happy. In thinking over your 1st post and the fact he reacts again when you bath him,
I'm wondering if, instead of his food being the problem it may be the water and to bath him in filtered water as well as give him to drink and see how he does.

Please update when you can.

OP
S

shawna

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Basil
Thanks...it's nice to have the online support. Finally gave Basil a bath today- he just smelled so bad it couldn't wait any longer! I rinsed him off, then filled the laundry tub with diluted cider vinegar, and rinsed and rubbed it all over him, using a face cloth on his head. He was dried off the best I could (with about 6 towels and a hair dryer). He loved the attention, and looks and smells better. I'll see how it goes over the next couple of days.

We haven't changed any food or diet yet. His last antibiotic was today, so I want to see if the hives come back. I'm wondering if he ate a mushroom or something in the backyard. I'm wondering if it was a one time thing. If we keep getting hot spots after this bath, or anymore hives, we'll start to slowly make some changes to see what works. In the meantime, we'll check with the vet about an allergy screening.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I give franklin & Grace ACV in there water every time I fill it up and I wash them with baby wipes with ACV on it everytime they come in its really been helping no fleas, ticks or horse fly bites on them it's amazing I love it

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.