URGENT!!! Hot spots and bug bites

shawna

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Basil
Our Bully, Basil, had hot spots on his back. This is his second time getting them (the first time we took him to the vet). We shaved the area, and it was healing well. Two days ago, the dog came in the house after his morning pee, and his face was red. Soon his face swelled up (it was so swollen, I couldn't even lift or move his nose rope). We gave him Benadryl right away, and the swelling went down within a couple of hours. Once it was down, you could see the red welts all over his tummy and face. I don't know what bit him, but I hope he doesn't get into it again! The bites and swelling are under control now, but it seems to have triggered more hot spots...mainly on his face. The one under his chin seems to be healing, but I am worried about the ones in the wrinkles under his eyes, where the tear stains usually are. I clean and dry them the best I can. I can't let him on carpet right now, or he rubs his face raw and bleeding. So my questions are:

1. Is there anything else I can do to help the hot spots under his eyes? Will cornstarch help, or hurt it to dry it out? I currently clean it with baby wipes, or antibacterial soap.
2. He seems to be very prone to hot spots. I seem to trigger skin conditions whenever I bathe him, even when I dry him the best I can. Any advice on how to prevent them? I've tried spray for hot spots (he HATES it), and heard vinegar in the water can help.
3. He STINKS right now, from the hot spots. Can he have a bath when he has them, or will that make it worse?

Until then, he looks like our Junkyard dog...all scabby with patches of fur missing off his back. Luckily he doesn't act like one and is gentle and patiently waits for me to clean those sore spots!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
If his condition is that bad, he should have antibiotics as well.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] needs to see this one.

Gator has had a few and they were food allergy related (chicken and pork). They went away quickly because we removed the food immediately. He has had swelling and hives from bug bites but not hot spots.

OP
S

shawna

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Basil
The spots on Basil's back seem to be about 99% healed (he just looks awful where we shaved him). The bug bites, or whatever it was, seems to be almost gone now and he doesn't seem to be as itchy (hopefully that will stop him from rubbing his face raw). He hasn't been on any different food, nor has he had any new treats, that's why I think it was bug bites. I think the swelling just triggered the hot spots, as his face swelled so much, the wrinkles were incredibly tight. Anyway, the spots under his eyes don't seem any worse than the ones that were on his back, that is why we haven't taken him to the vet just yet. If they get worse, or don't start to heal, we will definately take him and get him the antibiotics.

Any tips on bathing him? Will that make the spots worse? Any other tips on preventing and treating the hot spots?

Thanks! Basil and I appreciate the help!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=5574]shawna[/MENTION]...I'm so sorry to hear of Basil's suffering and of your worry about him.

From so many areas it sounds as if he may have gotten into an ant bed, Benedryl
a good choice and since they seem to be healing I'd be hesitant to put him on anti-
biotics. I've always had good results w/Sulfadene from Walmarts to treat hot spots.

I'd get a fatty acids shampoo from the Vet for his skin problems after wetting him
try and let the shampoo sit on him 5 minutes or so before rinsing well. It sounds as
if Basil may have environmental sensitivities, do you treat yard w/chemical/pesticides?
The 'bug bites' may have been a reaction from that, also, had you given him treatment
for heartworms, fleas, ticks, etc just before it happened-could be a reaction from that.

I'd continue giving him daily Benadryl for the itchy relief until you figure it out.

Concerning his food, they can develop allergies at any time where none were before.
Grains & dairy are bid triggers, you might try transitioning to a limited ingredient food.

Good luck, hope he's well asap and y'all can get back into enjoying the day!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i am concerned with so many hot spots. are you sure thats what they are? itchy red moist areas with no hair loss. sarah has only had one and i treated it with peroxide and anti bacterial anti fungal spray called chroraseb. you can get some hibiclenz at the drug store and use the peroxide then the hibiclenz and dry it well. im wondering if a vet visit is in order here to check and make sure nothing else is going on. i would be monitoring my dog when outside to see what they maybe getting into that would do this. also maybe start wiping your pet down after coming back inside with baby wipes. i use malaket shampoo that i order online from entirelypets but you can get it from amazon. sarah cant be around leaves or she breaks out after a rain or so. have you considered allergy testing it was a big help to me and sarah when she had problems. id also look at the food. sarah was on a food 2 months before she broke out in hives and respiratory trouble with swelling. i would be careful with the sulfadene shampoo and i only say this as my bully broke out very badly after using it so maybe do a test area before washing in it as i do with sarah now before using any new shampoo. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Great advice from [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]...I used Sufadene Hot Spot Treatment NOT the
shampoo and just a small bit on a cotton ball on the moist spot itself, not all over
and not on a bully, they do react differently.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others ahve said... stay on the Benedryl... 1mg per pound 2 or 3 times a day. also, go to the vet and ask for a full blood screen allergy test so you know what to avoid.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hot spots are usually caused by food. Could you post us a picture? It is a moist dermititis. Ooozing and pink/red.

Sounds like the second time was certainly a bite or bee sting, because it happened so fast. Poor babes.....

How old is Basil? Food or any allergies can develop at any time, (depending on the antibodies) but they usually start rearing their ugly heads between the ages of 5 months to 2 years. Royal Canine puppy is not a bad food for a young one, but if Basil is around 5 months old or more now is a good time to move to something that is grain free, or preferably limited ingredients. While hot spots are extremely common in bulldogs because of their genetic skin issues, this is not 'normal' to have so many, so finding out what the trigger is can be so important, not only on how Basil feels, but surely your pocket book as well!

I agree with [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] it does sound pretty bad, you may need a coarse of antibiotics to help heal, I hope you post us a pic

:hug: Dont' worry, we will try to help you and Basil get through this

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
In one mention you say he smells bad from the hot spots, then those are sores and not bug bites. bug bites look like hive, welts that are not open. After you shaved him, he got better, but after you bathe him he got worse? Shawn could please post pictures of Basil so we may get a better idea. Don't worry, we seen all kinds of stuff, and we want to help you and Basil. I am at work right now, but will get back to this thread within the next 12hrs if not sooner, in the mean time I'm sure others could help also with some pictures of the spots.

OP
S

shawna

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Basil
I'm pretty sure the sores under his eyes are from hot spots. They are red/pink in colour, no hair loss, and weeping, the same as the one when we brought him to the vet. Not too sure now if it was bug bites or hives...his face has not swelled up again, but the red bumps on his underside are back again this morning, after being in his crate all night. Our yard is not chemically treated at all.

Anyway, off to the vet this morning. We'll see what happens. I'll try to get some pics and let you know. Thanks for the help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm pretty sure the sores under his eyes are from hot spots. They are red/pink in colour, no hair loss, and weeping, the same as the one when we brought him to the vet. Not too sure now if it was bug bites or hives...his face has not swelled up again, but the red bumps on his underside are back again this morning, after being in his crate all night. Our yard is not chemically treated at all.

Anyway, off to the vet this morning. We'll see what happens. I'll try to get some pics and let you know. Thanks for the help.

Any update?

OP
S

shawna

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Basil
Sorry for the delay..busy day ;) The sores under Basil's eyes are hot spots. Antibiotics (and runny poops to go with it) started. The bumps seem to be hives. They were worse this morning than they were on Sunday, but no swelling on his face. I did get some good pictures, but didn't get a chance to get them on here....we'll see if the kids and dog will give me some time tomorrow! Anyway, the vet gave him an injection for the itchiness, with some pills to start tomorrow (sorry, I don't have the name of them with me). She said I can continue the Benadryl as well, if it is needed. No bath for awhile, until the hot spots are healed. In a week, or when the hives are gone, we will go back to see about allergy testing. The vet recommended that we wait until the hives are healed. I can't think of anything that has changed (detergent, cleaner, treats, food, etc), unless it is something in the yard. Once he finishes off his last bit of puppy food, we will try another brand (unless it seems to be the food). Any suggestions of what kind? Will let you know how it goes and get some pics on here so you can see him.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would try and get the food right first ...it may help the hotspots and reactions. I'm going to tag [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] because although she's feeding raw she may be able to tell you what is available in Canada or what can be shipped.

You also mentioned that he went to bed with nothing, and woke up with bumps on his tummy ....what does he sleep on??

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=5574]shawna[/MENTION]...poor Zeus, hoping it's a fast solve!

With being put on antibiotics, check w/Vet to see if you can add probiotics &
prebiotics or possibly organic yogurt to his food (helps prevent yeast and helps
w/diagestion & absorption of vits/minerals in food).

I'm having good results w/Avoderm's grain free kibble, only been on it 2 wks, it's
supposed to help w/skin & coat issues. However, Zues may need very limited
ingredient diet if these hot spots are diet related. Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online