Help Needed! Red eye stains

kam62284

May 17, 2012
Central PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Hi--

I've posted here several times before, all about health concerns, and I have another question! My five-month old Bully, Lucy, has develop red stains below her eyes (in the creases of her wrinkles). It looks red and irritated and she appears to have lost some hair near the irritation. I clean her wrinkles every day with baby wipes and have since we got her at two months old (these stains appeared maybe three weeks ago). I tried using just filtered water in her stainless steel bowls and giving her 1/2 tums each day as I read that can change the PH balance and help with the tear stains. Nothing has worked so far although Lucy doesn't seem bothered by the irritation nearly as much as it looks like she should be! Does anyone have any experience, tips or solutions to help clear up and prevent these stains and irritation?

Thanks!!

-Katie

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It's probably time for a food change. That should clear it up. What are you feeding her?

OP
kam62284

kam62284

May 17, 2012
Central PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I am feeding her Nurtrasource small and medium breed puppy. Is there a brand you've had success with or are there certain red flag ingredients I should look out for?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Search for "tear stains" and you will get lots of info.

The most important thing is to keep them dry. I use peroxide 2 times a day to get rid of them and once a day or every other day to maintain. Just put some on a cotton pad and wipe then pat dry.

Filtered water is great but there are soooo many causes of this so if they really bother you, it will take some detective work. Could be just pollen/environmental allergies, could be food or treats (is there artificial color in your treats?), or could be an eye issue (but probably not). I would just do the peroxide and keep it dry for now since she is so young.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am feeding her Nurtrasource small and medium breed puppy. Is there a brand you've had success with or are there certain red flag ingredients I should look out for?

Watch out for beets in the ingredients, chicken, May I suggest, a food? Fromm Beef Frittata, has helped a lot of problems with stains. or an all natural food without grains. This is a large breed, so you may want to look into a large breed food. With Fromm, you can feed it to your pup and adult. Let me tag some others here, [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I'm sorry, I need to leave for work. I will keep up with post tonight after midnight. you'll get some help here.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
The Fromm would be a great start to switch. Once you clean her and dry wrinkles good you can apply some desitin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so that explains my grammar :)

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would say the fromm food also! I have heard nothing but good stuff about it and thats what I put my bully on and she loves it so it must taste good!

OP
kam62284

kam62284

May 17, 2012
Central PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Thanks for all the great feedback! Just ordered Fromm and will start putting some baby powder in the wrinkles to prevent any wetness that's either natural or from the irritated area. Hopefully things get better-at least she doesn't seem to be in too much discomfort!

- Katie

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for all the great feedback! Just ordered Fromm and will start putting some baby powder in the wrinkles to prevent any wetness that's either natural or from the irritated area. Hopefully things get better-at least she doesn't seem to be in too much discomfort!

- Katie

glad to see you got some help.

A

Alaskasmom1

I have a question about using the Desitin. Do I wait until I have conquered the stains completely before applying Desitin or can I do it now? Alaskas tear stains are a real challenge.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have a question about using the Desitin. Do I wait until I have conquered the stains completely before applying Desitin or can I do it now? Alaskas tear stains are a real challenge.

You can do it anytime, as long as they are dry first. This will prevent moisture build up.

Now, for something that really helps the stains could be caused from yeast and bacteria growth. I use malecetic ultra on bad stains... Works amazing! It does have a bit of steroid in it so don't over use it. Don't get into the eyes either. I use Malacetic otic for regular maintainence :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My new foster, Bella, has bad tear stains too ...the red type but thankfully not sore looking. As soon as we got her we switched her onto the Fromm Beef Frittata, started to use the witch hazel pads on her wrinkles. It's only been about two weeks but I've noticed that her eyes are watering less because the wrinkles are not as dirty. So I know it takes a while for the new food to get into their system. I'll give the Fromm and witch hazel wipes formula a few more weeks, and if those wrinkles are still stained red I think I may need to try something else!!

A

Alaskasmom1

So I have to thank DesertSkyBulldogs for the tip about Desitin. I haven't even gotten the malacetic ultra Otic in them ail yet. Just been using the witch hazel and Desitin Ointment. Look at the difference in just a few days! Thanks Bunches for the tip! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344707126.842594.jpg
Alaska Before with a cleaned face
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344707163.908113.jpg
Alaska just now with witch Hazel and Desitin.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.