Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red eye stains

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Default Red eye stains

Hi--

I've posted here several times before, all about health concerns, and I have another question! My five-month old Bully, Lucy, has develop red stains below her eyes (in the creases of her wrinkles). It looks red and irritated and she appears to have lost some hair near the irritation. I clean her wrinkles every day with baby wipes and have since we got her at two months old (these stains appeared maybe three weeks ago). I tried using just filtered water in her stainless steel bowls and giving her 1/2 tums each day as I read that can change the PH balance and help with the tear stains. Nothing has worked so far although Lucy doesn't seem bothered by the irritation nearly as much as it looks like she should be! Does anyone have any experience, tips or solutions to help clear up and prevent these stains and irritation?

Thanks!!

-Katie

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Red eye stains

It's probably time for a food change. That should clear it up. What are you feeding her?
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I am feeding her Nurtrasource small and medium breed puppy. Is there a brand you've had success with or are there certain red flag ingredients I should look out for?

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Search for "tear stains" and you will get lots of info.

The most important thing is to keep them dry. I use peroxide 2 times a day to get rid of them and once a day or every other day to maintain. Just put some on a cotton pad and wipe then pat dry.

Filtered water is great but there are soooo many causes of this so if they really bother you, it will take some detective work. Could be just pollen/environmental allergies, could be food or treats (is there artificial color in your treats?), or could be an eye issue (but probably not). I would just do the peroxide and keep it dry for now since she is so young.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kam62284 View Post
    I am feeding her Nurtrasource small and medium breed puppy. Is there a brand you've had success with or are there certain red flag ingredients I should look out for?

Watch out for beets in the ingredients, chicken, May I suggest, a food? Fromm Beef Frittata, has helped a lot of problems with stains. or an all natural food without grains. This is a large breed, so you may want to look into a large breed food. With Fromm, you can feed it to your pup and adult. Let me tag some others here, @cowsmom @desertskybulldogs I'm sorry, I need to leave for work. I will keep up with post tonight after midnight. you'll get some help here.

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

The Fromm would be a great start to switch. Once you clean her and dry wrinkles good you can apply some desitin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so that explains my grammar
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I would say the fromm food also! I have heard nothing but good stuff about it and thats what I put my bully on and she loves it so it must taste good!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the great feedback! Just ordered Fromm and will start putting some baby powder in the wrinkles to prevent any wetness that's either natural or from the irritated area. Hopefully things get better-at least she doesn't seem to be in too much discomfort!

- Katie

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kam62284 View Post
    Thanks for all the great feedback! Just ordered Fromm and will start putting some baby powder in the wrinkles to prevent any wetness that's either natural or from the irritated area. Hopefully things get better-at least she doesn't seem to be in too much discomfort!

- Katie

glad to see you got some help.

Alaskasmom1

I have a question about using the Desitin. Do I wait until I have conquered the stains completely before applying Desitin or can I do it now? Alaskas tear stains are a real challenge.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskasmom1 View Post
    I have a question about using the Desitin. Do I wait until I have conquered the stains completely before applying Desitin or can I do it now? Alaskas tear stains are a real challenge.
    You can do it anytime, as long as they are dry first. This will prevent moisture build up.

Now, for something that really helps the stains could be caused from yeast and bacteria growth. I use malecetic ultra on bad stains... Works amazing! It does have a bit of steroid in it so don't over use it. Don't get into the eyes either. I use Malacetic otic for regular maintainence

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Alaskasmom1

Thanks for the tip. I'm trying this ASAP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads