Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multivitamins ARE THEY WORTH IT AND WHATS YALL'S FAVORITE

Bulldog(s) Names
    Charlie
    Likes (Received)

Default Multivitamins ARE THEY WORTH IT AND WHATS YALL'S FAVORITE

I have been looking for a good multivitamin for my 1 year old EB. I currently am in the transition of moving him over from Eukanuba to Blue Wilderness. ( his breeder had him on that and i tried switching once when he was 6 months and his stomach didnt take it to well ) I have heard of Pet Tabs, but also about a recall, wondering if there is a good multivitamin anyone uses to promote good health and heart and bone. And if you think that the Blue Wilderness will be good enough? This dog is my whole life, everyone says i need therapy but they have never owned a bulldog. I just want him to always have the best!!!!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I use NuVet, every 3 days to give them the added boost. Are they worth it? Could we do without? Probably. But like you I just want to make sure they get what they need. My kids take a vitamin daily, so why not?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Multivitamins ARE THEY WORTH IT AND WHATS YALL'S FAVORITE

I've been giving cocanut daily and emu oil 3 times weekly but I will only do the emu for the first 6 months of raw transition the cocanut I may give indefinatly ,I Havnt made my mind up yet,karen

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Bea fights taking pills - so adding a pill to her daily regimen would only frustrate us both. Sneaking a benedryl down her is hard enough and you know how tiny those are. The only supplement I give is yogurt and Grizzly Salmon Oil in their breakfast 3X a week - on alternate days; not together. Their coats have never looked better and the oil has helped with shedding I think.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

when i had sarah on just canned food due to her allergies i felt she wasnt getting enough so i added a mutli vitamin to her diet. i used cosequin multi vitamin. now that shes on freeze dried raw and the canned i have since stopped it. blue wilderness is good food but adding a vitamin cant hurt. maybe every other day or something see how it goes. honestly unless like some dog foods such as acana and fromm who list out exactly how much of everything is in the food how would we know how much of each vitamin is really in there.

Bully's Bikes and Books! Zoey1974's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey
    Likes (Received)

I feed home cooked so I have added a MV to make sure she gets everything she needs. I also use Nu-Vet. I think @desertskybulldogs hit the nail on the head. My hubby thinks I'm crazy by the way with all my fussing over Zoey and just pats me on the head. Better safe than sorry!

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

to EBN. Glad to have you here. HRH does not get a multi vitamin but she does get a couple of things added to her kibble. 1. Plain Yogurt for the probiotic of it. 2. cranberry pill to help avoid UTI 3. Allery pill. 4. diatomaceous earth to combat critters. and she share a banana with me every morning just because. A high quality food like Fromm shouldnt need much added to it. Hope you enjoy the site.

Doggie Boutique Owner Angelgirl's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
    Likes (Received)

We use Nu-Vet also. It has done a world of good for Belly. She had hair falling out in clumps. She was already on grain free fromm so I didn't think it was a food allergy. Vet had no clue, so I started her on Nu-Vet and her hair is almost completely back. She does have a small spot of seasonal flank alopecia, but that is almost all filled in too. It's a little pricey, but I will go without something before I stop buying it for her and Bob.
    "A bulldog is like a potato chip, you can never have just one"

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Schultz
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The research I've done on vitamins/minerals is that if you feed a home cooked diet it's essential to add a multivitamin and calcium to the meals being fed.

If you are feeding a commercial diet it should have adequate vitamin/mineral content. But with that said companies add more than enough because over time the potency of the added vitamins and mineral degrade. Therefore the vitamin/mineral absorbtion is questionable....which is why adding a vitamin on top of a commercial product often brings about positive results.

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am ~ author unknown

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)

I've been thinking about adding a MV, I just haven't been sure if they really needed it. Thanks for reading my mind and asking the question. So I see Nu-vet is a brand that a few of you use.
    "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Very respectfully, I've not researched this subject enough, especially about
    Bullies to say, Yea or Nay but I'd be careful, if you're feeding GOOD kibble
    that has vitamins, minerals & antioxidants added. Some vitamins/minerals
    become toxic at higher levels.

If feeding raw, add them, if crappy kibble...change to best you can afford.

If you have a great Vet, I'd check w/them before adding to a quality diet.

Just be careful and read your labels...also call the 1-800 #'s, tell what you do
    feed and ask their advice before adding certain additional Vits/Minerals.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Charlie
    Likes (Received)

WOW! i love all the responses and support! Thank you everyone for your recommendations! Today we started the switch to California Natural Grain Free Venison,We were originally going to go with Blue Wilderness but from the input from some people have heard this one is better. ( its hard to find a good food cause i think all breeds need something different, and some breeds dont respond well to some and then it gets bad reviews ) But He loves it we are doing 10% right now and will move up slowly! Any one have thoughts on this food? i have read so many different reviews, but its nice to have yall's input. Thank you again for welcoming Charlie and I !!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads