General Question Multivitamins ARE THEY WORTH IT AND WHATS YALL'S FAVORITE

RSCharlie

Jul 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
I have been looking for a good multivitamin for my 1 year old EB. I currently am in the transition of moving him over from Eukanuba to Blue Wilderness. ( his breeder had him on that and i tried switching once when he was 6 months and his stomach didnt take it to well ) I have heard of Pet Tabs, but also about a recall, wondering if there is a good multivitamin anyone uses to promote good health and heart and bone. And if you think that the Blue Wilderness will be good enough? This dog is my whole life, everyone says i need therapy ;) but they have never owned a bulldog. I just want him to always have the best!!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I use NuVet, every 3 days to give them the added boost. Are they worth it? Could we do without? Probably. But like you I just want to make sure they get what they need. My kids take a vitamin daily, so why not?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
I've been giving cocanut daily and emu oil 3 times weekly but I will only do the emu for the first 6 months of raw transition the cocanut I may give indefinatly ,I Havnt made my mind up yet,karen

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea fights taking pills - so adding a pill to her daily regimen would only frustrate us both. Sneaking a benedryl down her is hard enough and you know how tiny those are. The only supplement I give is yogurt and Grizzly Salmon Oil in their breakfast 3X a week - on alternate days; not together. Their coats have never looked better and the oil has helped with shedding I think.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
when i had sarah on just canned food due to her allergies i felt she wasnt getting enough so i added a mutli vitamin to her diet. i used cosequin multi vitamin. now that shes on freeze dried raw and the canned i have since stopped it. blue wilderness is good food but adding a vitamin cant hurt. maybe every other day or something see how it goes. honestly unless like some dog foods such as acana and fromm who list out exactly how much of everything is in the food how would we know how much of each vitamin is really in there.

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
I feed home cooked so I have added a MV to make sure she gets everything she needs. I also use Nu-Vet. I think [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] hit the nail on the head. My hubby thinks I'm crazy by the way with all my fussing over Zoey and just pats me on the head. Better safe than sorry!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome3: to EBN. Glad to have you here. HRH does not get a multi vitamin but she does get a couple of things added to her kibble. 1. Plain Yogurt for the probiotic of it. 2. cranberry pill to help avoid UTI 3. Allery pill. 4. diatomaceous earth to combat critters. and she share a banana with me every morning just because. :luv: A high quality food like Fromm shouldnt need much added to it. Hope you enjoy the site. :)

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
We use Nu-Vet also. It has done a world of good for Belly. She had hair falling out in clumps. She was already on grain free fromm so I didn't think it was a food allergy. Vet had no clue, so I started her on Nu-Vet and her hair is almost completely back. She does have a small spot of seasonal flank alopecia, but that is almost all filled in too. It's a little pricey, but I will go without something before I stop buying it for her and Bob.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
The research I've done on vitamins/minerals is that if you feed a home cooked diet it's essential to add a multivitamin and calcium to the meals being fed.

If you are feeding a commercial diet it should have adequate vitamin/mineral content. But with that said companies add more than enough because over time the potency of the added vitamins and mineral degrade. Therefore the vitamin/mineral absorbtion is questionable....which is why adding a vitamin on top of a commercial product often brings about positive results.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I've been thinking about adding a MV, I just haven't been sure if they really needed it. Thanks for reading my mind and asking the question. So I see Nu-vet is a brand that a few of you use.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Very respectfully, I've not researched this subject enough, especially about
Bullies to say, Yea or Nay but I'd be careful, if you're feeding GOOD kibble
that has vitamins, minerals & antioxidants added. Some vitamins/minerals
become toxic at higher levels.

If feeding raw, add them, if crappy kibble...change to best you can afford.

If you have a great Vet, I'd check w/them before adding to a quality diet.

Just be careful and read your labels...also call the 1-800 #'s, tell what you do
feed and ask their advice before adding certain additional Vits/Minerals.

OP
RSCharlie

RSCharlie

Jul 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
WOW! i love all the responses and support! Thank you everyone for your recommendations! Today we started the switch to California Natural Grain Free Venison,We were originally going to go with Blue Wilderness but from the input from some people have heard this one is better. ( its hard to find a good food cause i think all breeds need something different, and some breeds dont respond well to some and then it gets bad reviews ) But He loves it we are doing 10% right now and will move up slowly! Any one have thoughts on this food? i have read so many different reviews, but its nice to have yall's input. Thank you again for welcoming Charlie and I !!!!

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I was using Vi-Sorbits for Maximus from the time he was a Puppy - but Pfizer has stopped making them - so now I use PET NATURALS of VERMONT Chewable multi-vitamins - and both my dogs love them!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
WOW! i love all the responses and support! Thank you everyone for your recommendations! Today we started the switch to California Natural Grain Free Venison,We were originally going to go with Blue Wilderness but from the input from some people have heard this one is better. ( its hard to find a good food cause i think all breeds need something different, and some breeds dont respond well to some and then it gets bad reviews ) But He loves it we are doing 10% right now and will move up slowly! Any one have thoughts on this food? i have read so many different reviews, but its nice to have yall's input. Thank you again for welcoming Charlie and I !!!!
well my thoughts are i would have probably went with the blue wilderness its a better food imo. wilderness has more protein and is very highly reguarded food. my problem with california natural is 2 things. first they are owned by p&g which does not have the best track record second i dont really like a food with 21 percent protein that is very low imo. now having said that it is a very limited ingredient food that some bullies need. its really how your bully does on the food. keep us updated

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.