Help Needed! Hip problems?

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
So I went home at lunch like I have been doing everyday since we got Ellie Mae so that I can take her out and feed her. Well today, she seemed to favor her right hip after eating and going outside to potty. It wasn't an obvious limp that looked painful as she was still walking on it and putting weight on it, but more of she slept awkwardly and it was asleep. I watched her for about 10-15 minutes and had her walk to me across the room and stand up in her crate. I also picked her hind legs up and rotated them like she was walking on air and didn't notice her react any way out of the normal. She just turned her head to both the left and the right to nip like was a game. After that, I laid her on her left side and extended/folded her right leg a few times and everything seemed in order. After a few minutes she seemed to be bouncing around and acting like a playful puppy

She goes to the vet in the morning for round 3 of her shots and I intend to ask him to check her out to make sure everything is ok. I'm also going to try and sneak out of work early today and see how she is so that I can take her to the vet tonight before they close if needed. It was just very uncomfortable seeing this after our last bulldog lost her ability to walk over the course of 4-5 hours and was left paralyzed. Is there anything else that I should do or look for?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No experience with hip issues except you want the vet to check and make sure they are tight. I am sure others who have experience will chime in soon. Hopefully it was just stiff from an awkward sleeping position.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
She'll definitely be checked out tomorrow morning at the latest. I should find out in the next hour or so if I'm headed to the vets office tonight or not. Hopefully is was just from an awkward sleeping position as she started to bounce around normally after a few minutes. It's just worrisome when you see it though.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I just had Vegas at the vet today for the same problem sort of. After sleeping he does walk stiff on his left leg. It looks like he has just pulled a muscle, probably from jumping up and down from the couch. He got a shot of steroid in his leg.

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
I just had Vegas at the vet today for the same problem sort of. After sleeping he does walk stiff on his left leg. It looks like he has just pulled a muscle, probably from jumping up and down from the couch. He got a shot of steroid in his leg.

:pray2: that's all it is. she was still a little stiff this evening when I got in, but after a couple minutes of fetch in the house, she seemed to be walking ok. My youngest nephew did come over last night and played with her for about 20 minutes and she was bouncing off of the walls.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
How old is Ellie?

Remember, when diagnosing a hip issue, age matters! Puppies' hip sockets are not yet as tight as adults so keep that in mind but you're smart to be taking her to the vet early.

I wouldn't worry too much but let us know what your vet says. I had a 10 week old with severe hip dysplasia and it was more than evident before we had it diagnosed (weakness in the hind legs, sitting oddly, not wanting to stand a lot) but eventually, it popped out of socket and we had to do some surgery. Even still, we have a healthy and very active 2 year old bulldog now so there's plenty of options and even more when you catch it early!

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
How old is Ellie?

Remember, when diagnosing a hip issue, age matters! Puppies' hip sockets are not yet as tight as adults so keep that in mind but you're smart to be taking her to the vet early.

I wouldn't worry too much but let us know what your vet says. I had a 10 week old with severe hip dysplasia and it was more than evident before we had it diagnosed (weakness in the hind legs, sitting oddly, not wanting to stand a lot) but eventually, it popped out of socket and we had to do some surgery. Even still, we have a healthy and very active 2 year old bulldog now so there's plenty of options and even more when you catch it early!

She's 13 weeks today. We're holding out hope that it's nothing major. We'll find out in the morning.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
I was just at the vet this week and Franklin had something like that it felt like his hips were popping she just said its cause there so young and the muscle and everything's not tight yet but were gonna keep an eye on it. He's 14 weeks an 25.5 pounds

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Well the vet visit went a lot better than I was hoping. Hips look great and Ellie Mae has full range of motion. The vet was only able to get a reaction when her foot would be bent upwards while her leg was collapsed. They think she may have just twisted her knee or strained one of the muscles/ligaments in her knee. It still requires anti-inflammatory meds and life in her crate for the next week, but all things considered, we came out a lot better than it could have been.:happydance:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.